Barkley running his mouth again

AURex

He is just trying to stay in the limelight. He is afraid the world will forget who he WAS. Too me, he is no more. He just wants attention in my opinion, and the media just loves to give him what he wants.

I think that's a big part of it. He occasionally like to bite the AU hand that fed him and gave him his NBA career....

Are you serious? GAVE him?

Yes I am. The college experience gives all students opportunities that they would not have otherwise. Why do you think people go to school? Athletes are no different.

If you think the basketball world was knocking on CB's door while he was in high school you are mistaken. He was overweight, on the shorter side, and mostly overlooked.

Do you think he would've gotten to the NBA without playing for a college team? His time at AU got him noticed, and Sonny was a good coach. Charles was not an easy kid to manage. His time at AU gave him an entrance to the NBA.

I would argue that God given talent, not Auburn got him into the NBA. I would also add that, everyone I have ever known who met CB commented on what a genuine and nice person he seems to be.

You are not getting it. There are plenty of kids out there with as much or more God-given talent who never get to play in the NBA. CB was given an opportunity to get noticed because he went to Auburn. No one else noticed him until he came to play for Sonny. It has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with being given a place to showcase it. Talent alone won't get a kid into the NBA.

No where did I say he was a bad person,but he does have a big ego as most celebrities do and sometimes he says way too much. He says things that are harmful to Auburn when he doesn't need to say anything at all.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is just trying to stay in the limelight. He is afraid the world will forget who he WAS. Too me, he is no more. He just wants attention in my opinion, and the media just loves to give him what he wants.

I think that's a big part of it. He occasionally like to bite the AU hand that fed him and gave him his NBA career....

Are you serious? GAVE him?

Yes I am. The college experience gives all students opportunities that they would not have otherwise. Why do you think people go to school? Athletes are no different.

If you think the basketball world was knocking on CB's door while he was in high school you are mistaken. He was overweight, on the shorter side, and mostly overlooked.

Do you think he would've gotten to the NBA without playing for a college team? His time at AU got him noticed, and Sonny was a good coach. Charles was not an easy kid to manage. His time at AU gave him an entrance to the NBA.

I would argue that God given talent, not Auburn got him into the NBA. I would also add that, everyone I have ever known who met CB commented on what a genuine and nice person he seems to be.

You are not getting it. There are plenty of kids out there with as much or more God-given talent who never get to play in the NBA. CB was given an opportunity to get noticed because he went to Auburn. No one else noticed him until he came to play for Sonny. It has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with being given a place to showcase it. Talent alone won't get a kid into the NBA.

No where did I say he was a bad person,but he does have a big ego as most celebrities do and sometimes he says way too much. He says things that are harmful to Auburn when he doesn't need to say anything at all.

We'll just have to totally disagree on this one.

IMO CHUCK HASNT SAID ANYTHING TO HURT OR DIMINISH AU INTEGERITY. HE SPEAKS HIS MIND. HOLD NO PUNCHES. LOVES AU. AND IF ANYBODY THINKS HE TALK FOR THE ATTENTION THEN IMO THEIR JUST WRONG. HE HAVE AN OPINON LIKE EVERYBODY.I LOVE THE WAY HE REPRESENT AU AND HOPE HE CONTIUES TO DO WHAT HE DO. GO BRUCE PEARL! :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

It appears that Charles Barkley has got diarrhea of the mouth again. This time he's talking about taking money from agents (up to $20,000 per year) and how the coaches discouraged him from taking some courses because they were worried he might not do well enough in them to remain eligible.

In recent years, I've become more and more disgusted with Barkley. He talks without thinking and he does a lot of damage to the image of Auburn. Basically, although he was a great baller, he's a disgrace as a human being, with zero integrity and no appreciation for anyone or anything but his own ego.

http://www.al.com/sp...#incart_m-rpt-2

If he's telling the truth how does that translate into not having integrity?

Did he do the coaches bidding and customize his classes accordingly? That makes him a hypocrite. He's historically said on several occasions athletes shouldn't talk about improperly receiving money. Yet he periodically plays the outraged purist lecturing to take the high road, apparently not understanding the concept that until the rules are changed to reflect his personal feelings, breaking the rules is the ultimate in conceipt. Entertaining guy. IMO he is wise when he says he's not (which he's clarified as meaning he shouldn't be) a role model. Moses Malone made him grow up. I tutored him in undergrad and he was just a huge baby.

I think people are mad that he's airing out something that actually happened.

He's not attacking the school like Rashad McCants and UNC. This also isn't something anybody should be surprised at. Are people mad that he's shedding light on something some fans don't want to hear about? The reality of NCAA athletics? Because they don't want other people saying how Auburn is "dirty" or "cheaters"? Lol, and what happens if a Bama fan ribs you about this? Nothing.

There's no proof that he's doing anything except blowing hot air, and proof from one side or the other is not going to be forthcoming after 30 years. Barkley should shut up about this, period. He's just trying to stay in the spotlight but there are ways for him to do that without making Auburn look bad in the process.

AUBURN LOOKING BAD ONLY IN YOUR EYES.THIS IS 2014 NOT 1947. TIME HAS CHANGED. THIS IS TODAYS GAME AND HOW THINGS ROLE.CHUCK JUST BEING REAL AND HIS REALITY MIGHT NOT MESH WITH YOUR OPION. AND THATS ALL TO IT. I DONT AGREE WITH THINGS CHUCK SAY,BUT THEN I LOOK AT HIS ACTIONS AND THE MAJORITY OF TIMES HE REPRESENT AU PROUD AND BACK THEM 100%. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BRUCE PERAL ERA! WDE! :nopityA: :nopityA: :wareagle: :wareagle: :hellyeah:

AUBURN LOOKING BAD ONLY IN YOUR EYES.THIS IS 2014 NOT 1947. TIME HAS CHANGED. THIS IS TODAYS GAME AND HOW THINGS ROLE.CHUCK JUST BEING REAL AND HIS REALITY MIGHT NOT MESH WITH YOUR OPION. AND THATS ALL TO IT. I DONT AGREE WITH THINGS CHUCK SAY,BUT THEN I LOOK AT HIS ACTIONS AND THE MAJORITY OF TIMES HE REPRESENT AU PROUD AND BACK THEM 100%. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BRUCE PERAL ERA! WDE! :nopityA:/> :nopityA:/> :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/> :hellyeah:/>

Charles is that you?

Sir Charles appears to be totally clueless when it comes to certain things are to be kept quiet. His comments are at best detrimental to AU. He is merely popping off without any real concern of what this does in the public eye to the school he professes to love. Because something might be true is no reason to shout it from the roof tops. Charles needs to zip closed those loose irresponsible lips.

Prime ... I gotta be honest. Having a hard time following your written word. Any chance there is a "prime to message board" translation aid?

I'm also in the sir Charles, no good comes of this, line of thinking. If he wants to support players being compensated by schools then he should make that case ... This ain't it.

I don't think Barkley was a $20,000 a year man while he was at Auburn. He was good, but he didn't really blossom until all that NBA money inspired him to lose 60 pounds.

He jus' be BS'n, but it's not doing AU any favors.

PS: I was there on campus at the time. I clearly remember having a conversation with someone close to the situation. I was complaining about Barkley leaving early for the NBA and this guy's comment was it didn't matter, they'd placed him in every class he could pass and there was no more basket weaving available to him. He was going to flunk out anyway so he might as well go.

Now this makes more sense than anything I have ever heard or read on Barkley!

That was true. My brother was at AU and on the track team. He told me basically the same thing several years ago.

AUBURN LOOKING BAD ONLY IN YOUR EYES.THIS IS 2014 NOT 1947. TIME HAS CHANGED. THIS IS TODAYS GAME AND HOW THINGS ROLE.CHUCK JUST BEING REAL AND HIS REALITY MIGHT NOT MESH WITH YOUR OPION. AND THATS ALL TO IT. I DONT AGREE WITH THINGS CHUCK SAY,BUT THEN I LOOK AT HIS ACTIONS AND THE MAJORITY OF TIMES HE REPRESENT AU PROUD AND BACK THEM 100%. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BRUCE PERAL ERA! WDE! :nopityA: :nopityA: :wareagle: :wareagle: :hellyeah:

Less CAPS; more grammar. Appreciate the AU support, though!

As for CB, he keeps it real, but: "come on, man"

Isn't this like the 3rd time over the past 2 years or so that this has been brought up?? Whenever anyone asks if he got paid while in college, he always says yes. He has said this before and he will say it again when he gets asked again. Why anyone gets at all fired up about this is beyond me. But if you are fired up and upset over this then be ready to get mad again in a few months or years when someone brings this up again...... :-\

The funniest part of this thread is the part where one person claimed Auburn basketball "made" Charles Barkley (much closer to the other way around). If he had transferred to Alabama after his freshman season, he still would've developed into one of the greatest basketball players in history. We needed him more than he needed us.

Then, there's the part of the thread where my guy, Mikey, claims Barkley wasn't worth that kind of money. He jumped to the NBA after his junior year, and he was the fifth overall pick in one of the greatest drafts in NBA history. The Dream, Sam Bowie, MJ, Big Smooth, then Chuck. Yes, even in 1983, he was worth $20,000 to an agent. That's a no brainer.

For all you people complaining about Chuck, I hope you're equally prickly when he's giving the school and the sports teams national exposure on TNT (and openly cheering for our guys), when he's giving lots and lots of money to the athletic department (http://www.auburntigers.com/tigersunlimited/4_major_gifts.html), when he comes back to interact with fans and teams on the Plains, etc. I'm assuming you were lobbying extra hard for the athletic department (and probably the school itself) to give his money back, right? Since he's a disgrace and all?

Sorry you don't love everything he has to say. It's been 30 years. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations on punishment has run, and there are very few people even alive today that were running the school or athletic department back then. If other folks want to throw stones, let them. It's silly to worry about what happened that long ago, and frankly, if his comments lead to positive changes in the choices available to athletes, his commentary is for the better (even if it smears Auburn). I'm pretty confident he's done as much or more for Auburn University and the basketball program, in particular, than just about everyone on this board (combined). You take the good with the bad, and the good with Barkley far exceeds any headache he may cause.

You'd rather have Chuck on your side than not. I assure you. He's done way more for AU than you.

He has done way more for AU than I have. He's also done way more to harm AU than I have. He just needs to shut his mouth about payments I don't think he received.

He wasn't living any $20,000 a year lifestyle while he was here, of that I have first hand knowledge. He could have been getting $20 a month and blowing it on pizza and Dr. Pepper, but if the guy was getting $20,000 a year while he was at AU, everybody would have known it. You just think those bammer football players have some jazzy wheels on their cars! Barkley would have made them look like penniless hobos if he'd had access to $20,000 thirty years ago.

You'd rather have Chuck on your side than not. I assure you. He's done way more for AU than you.

He has done way more for AU than I have. He's also done way more to harm AU than I have. He just needs to shut his mouth about payments I don't think he received.

He wasn't living any $20,000 a year lifestyle while he was here, of that I have first hand knowledge. He could have been getting $20 a month and blowing it on pizza and Dr. Pepper, but if the guy was getting $20,000 a year while he was at AU, everybody would have known it. You just think those bammer football players have some jazzy wheels on their cars! Barkley would have made them look like penniless hobos if he'd had access to $20,000 thirty years ago.

Has he really done us any harm? I'd sure like to see some hard evidence of that if so. Sure, he's said some silly things over the years, but nothing that harmed AU to my knowledge.

The perplexing thing to me is the few on here that appear to lack the basic embryonic understanding to see how Barkley's mouth damages AU's reputation. Those few them take a great number of words and compress them into very little thought. How is it that you don't see this?

The funniest part of this thread is the part where one person claimed Auburn basketball "made" Charles Barkley (much closer to the other way around). If he had transferred to Alabama after his freshman season, he still would've developed into one of the greatest basketball players in history. We needed him more than he needed us.

Then, there's the part of the thread where my guy, Mikey, claims Barkley wasn't worth that kind of money. He jumped to the NBA after his junior year, and he was the fifth overall pick in one of the greatest drafts in NBA history. The Dream, Sam Bowie, MJ, Big Smooth, then Chuck. Yes, even in 1983, he was worth $20,000 to an agent. That's a no brainer.

For all you people complaining about Chuck, I hope you're equally prickly when he's giving the school and the sports teams national exposure on TNT (and openly cheering for our guys), when he's giving lots and lots of money to the athletic department (http://www.auburntig...ajor_gifts.html), when he comes back to interact with fans and teams on the Plains, etc. I'm assuming you were lobbying extra hard for the athletic department (and probably the school itself) to give his money back, right? Since he's a disgrace and all?

Sorry you don't love everything he has to say. It's been 30 years. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations on punishment has run, and there are very few people even alive today that were running the school or athletic department back then. If other folks want to throw stones, let them. It's silly to worry about what happened that long ago, and frankly, if his comments lead to positive changes in the choices available to athletes, his commentary is for the better (even if it smears Auburn). I'm pretty confident he's done as much or more for Auburn University and the basketball program, in particular, than just about everyone on this board (combined). You take the good with the bad, and the good with Barkley far exceeds any headache he may cause.

Crushed it.

Archived