Barkley running his mouth again

AURex

Mikey, I never once said or implied that him saying this was good for AU, that would be pretty silly. Heck i'll even say I would prefer he not say this at all. My position is that it is no big deal and nothing to get upset about, that's all. Your comparison to talking about an old girlfriend is pretty good. If you are talking about a girl friend you just broke up with then that is kinda low. If you talking about a girl friend you broke up with 30 years ago then it kinda takes the sting away a bit IMO. Also, I don't think anyone here is trying to say Barkley is a "classy" guy or that he is someone you say to your kids "That guy is a great role model!"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people value good manners and some people don't. Some men open doors for ladies and others never think to do this. Some people say yes sir and no sir and others don't. Some people understand how Barkley's comments are detrimental to AU and others just don't get it.

I Just can't understand the big deal

Sounds like you described your difficulty quite well.

Oh I wouldn't say that. We may disagree on the topic being discussed but we understand were each other is coming from. At least I think I understand where you are coming from. You don't like what Barkley said (and probably don't like Barkley) and you think that it puts AU in a bad light. I can understand that, and agree that if someone is trying to put AU in a bad light that this would be ammunition for that person. However I disagree that it actually hurts AU in anyway. My position is that the causal observer could care less about this and I don't think these comments are going to turn any AU fans away from AU and it isn't going to keep someone from becoming an AU fan. No harm no foul kinda thing in my eyes. We can both agree we would prefer Barkley not say such things, but he isn't so might as well come to terms with it. Or not and in that case I am sure Barkley will give you more reason to dislike him in the not to distant future. lol.

See buddy we're not that far apart. War Eagle!

My position is a simple matter of Barkley making negative remarks about the school I deeply care about. Let's say he made negative remarks about your wife or mother, I wonder if that would be upsetting to you. It doesn't matter whether the people who are not AU people to begin with hear this and think about being a fan or not. The perception is placed in their head that AU might really have paid Barkley. The next time they hear the name Auburn, for good or bad, this negative remark likely has tainted them about my school. I am finished with explanations about this. It does matter the reasons you might conjure up, this should not have been said by Barkley.

My position is a simple matter of Barkley making negative remarks about the school I deeply care about. Let's say he made negative remarks about your wife or mother, I wonder if that would be upsetting to you. It doesn't matter whether the people who are not AU people to begin with hear this and think about being a fan or not. The perception is placed in their head that AU might really have paid Barkley. The next time they hear the name Auburn, for good or bad, this negative remark likely has tainted them about my school. I am finished with explanations about this. It does matter the reasons you might conjure up, this should not have been said by Barkley.

Is it possible that a few self-righteous alumni, bashing an Auburn icon, are doing more damage?

Charles Barkley has positively contributed to the broad public perception of Auburn for years. I have never understood Auburn fans who don't like him. The list below shows the diversity of people who contribute to the public perception of Auburn University. Charles is a part of that, and I'm glad that he is.

Kay Ivey

Fob James

Tim Cook

Jimmy Wales

Jim Voss

Jan Davis

Rowdy Gaines

Bo Jackson

Charles Barkley

I don't know why you feel you need to explain anything. I posted above this that I understand you just don't like what he said. I don't like what he said either.

Is it possible that a few self-righteous alumni, bashing an Auburn icon, are doing more damage?

So In your mind AU grads that point out the negative perspective Barkley's mouth creates are self righteous. What a pathetic phrasing you used. Could it be that you are the self-righteous one here?

So In your mind AU grads that point out the negative perspective Barkley's mouth creates are self righteous. What a pathetic phrasing you used. Could it be that you are the self-righteous one here?

LOL. Can't argue with the ole "no you are" comeback. That's too funny. Very nice!

LOL. Can't argue with the ole "no you are" comeback. That's too funny. Very nice!

LOL. The ole "grasping at straws" routine.

LOL. The ole "grasping at straws" routine.

You seem to want to argue, without making an argument. Grow up.

Archived