I'm Taking Cowbells With Me!

AUenginerd

Some of my coworkers are MSU alumni. They say the big video board at the stadium has sections that switch between the messages MORE COWBELL and JUST YELL. The bell ringing rules were actually relaxed a bit this year. They're allowed to ring them now anytime except when the center is over the ball. So ringing during a huddle is legal. I'm gonna take my earplugs.

Have you noticed how closely they follow this rule?

Didn't think so.

Well exactly and apparently a couple of the people in this thread are missing that point. After artificial noise makers were banned, the MSU AD got the SEC to approve this exemption based on one condition. MSU fans couldn't ring them from the time the opposing team's offensive center touched the ball until the whistle blew ending the play.

Well, that has slowly but surely been ignored to the point that now its an unfair advantage. THAT is the point the AU fans are making with this. Maybe some people such as MSU officials, game officials or the SEC will pay attention.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSU's AD has gone on record asking the fans to "show proper cow bell etiquette" vs AU on Saturday per ESPN.

Whew - all better now =)

I actually read, and no idea if its true or not, but the original statement contained the words you have been warned Auburn fans. That part has since been edited out though.

I wish coaches from opposing teams would really start pressing the officials on the cowbells. You hear them constantly through the game, but I can never recall anyone actually flagging them for doing it.

I can tell you from attending games at MSU that sitting among cowbell ringing fans is a headache, it doesn't matter what team they're yelling for. Plus, the rules there now are that when the center is over the ball the ringing has to stop and they tell people "JUST YELL" and from what heard on TV last weekend, they were doing a pretty good job of it. I kind of doubt there'll be enough Auburn cowbell ringers there to cause any problem for the State offense, I mean they live with it all the time after all. As for the Auburn fans sitting near me, I hope they don't bring bells. I hate the darn things no matter what color they are.

1st post on here is trying to convince people not to bring cowbells to MSU. Screen name of get real. Is somebody trolling in hopes of deterring opposing fan bases to start doing this?

But won't it be nice when Auburn does something good and 95% of the stadium is silent and 5% are clanging the hell out of the AU cowbells??

Guys, if we're this worked up about their small stadium and these dumb cowbells, how do you think we're going to fare against Georgia in Athens? Traveling to Tuscaloosa? Come on. This is childish, and auburn is better than this. If you really think auburn fans ringing these spread out in the top corner will affect anything you are wrong. It will just make state more mad and do it even more.

So thanks for just making things worse for the team.

I can tell you from attending games at MSU that sitting among cowbell ringing fans is a headache, it doesn't matter what team they're yelling for. Plus, the rules there now are that when the center is over the ball the ringing has to stop and they tell people "JUST YELL" and from what heard on TV last weekend, they were doing a pretty good job of it. I kind of doubt there'll be enough Auburn cowbell ringers there to cause any problem for the State offense, I mean they live with it all the time after all. As for the Auburn fans sitting near me, I hope they don't bring bells. I hate the darn things no matter what color they are.

1st post on here is trying to convince people not to bring cowbells to MSU. Screen name of get real. Is somebody trolling in hopes of deterring opposing fan bases to start doing this?

But won't it be nice when Auburn does something good and 95% of the stadium is silent and 5% are clanging the hell out of the AU cowbells??

no that would be stupid

if MSU wins maybe they will roll Toomers corner

no that would be stupid

OK so bringing attention to obvious flaunting of the rules is inviting them to do that. That is some of the lamest reasoning yet.

Guys, if we're this worked up about their small stadium and these dumb cowbells, how do you think we're going to fare against Georgia in Athens? Traveling to Tuscaloosa? Come on. This is childish, and auburn is better than this. If you really think auburn fans ringing these spread out in the top corner will affect anything you are wrong. It will just make state more mad and do it even more.

Uh.....ok Negative Nancy

Any num nut that would compare ringing cowbells inside the stadium to rolling trees outside the stadium after a win needs help in the reasoning department. Why should one team in the conference get an exception to the rule? There is absolutely no reason for them to have the bells in the stadium.

no that would be stupid

You should probably choose your words more wisely.... Calling people stupid can often lead to things that we often try to avoid.

Any num nut that would compare ringing cowbells inside the stadium to rolling trees outside the stadium after a win needs help in the reasoning department. Why should one team in the conference get an exception to the rule? There is absolutely no reason for them to have the bells in the stadium.

There are too many apparently that cannot grasp that Auburn isn't trying to "copy one of MSU's traditions". I dont know why this is so difficult for some. AU fans are making a statement about one particular team being able to take noisemakers into their stadium when no other teams are allowed to do so. Those who are going to the game are wanting to take cowbells because that is what is allowed. If thunder sticks or something else were allowed too, we could take thundersticks instead. But they are not. It's that simple. Anyone who compares this to rolling toomers, or wearing houndstooth, the eagle flying, or anything like that is simply...lost, and everytime they post something to that effect they just look like someone unable to grasp a simple concept.

You should probably choose your words more wisely.... Calling people stupid can often lead to things that we often try to avoid.

Quick note:

Calling something stupid < > calling someone stupid

Carry on.

I sure am glad I am not going to the game....I would have to make a gut wrenching choice. Bring a cowbell? Or don't bring a cowbell? One thing is for sure, I am NOT ringing one of those annoying things in my den! :blink:

MAYBE Auburn is just applying the "when in Rome" rule where the cowbells are concerned. How honored they must feel that we "dress appropriately" when we enter their stadium. :jossun: I don't imagine there is anything in their stadium by-laws that says that MSU fans are the ONLY ONES who can ring them. Completely different from rolling trees or picnicking in the Grove. You can't claim an advantage and call it a tradition. If it levels the playing field and takes a little fun out of their game (and it must, hence all the press and negative vibe about it), then keep calm and clang on! I'm guessing they would prefer this instead?

monkey-playing-cymbals.jpg

I am going to the game and I would prefer not to hear them period. They are annoying and should not be allowed. I hope that we do what we did against LSU and the bells will take care of themselves. I think Mr. Slive will wish he had never allowed these to be used in the stadium.

I am going to the game and I would prefer not to hear them period. They are annoying and should not be allowed. I hope that we do what we did against LSU and the bells will take care of themselves. I think Mr. Slive will wish he had never allowed these to be used in the stadium.

IIRC, the other 13 members of the conference voted to allow MSU to have them.

Quick note:

Calling something stupid < > calling someone stupid

Carry on.

Now that's deep... LOL

IIRC, the other 13 members of the conference voted to allow MSU to have them.

Yes but they did not vote that the use of them be restricted to MSU fans in that stadium only. Anyone can bring them there and use them. And anyone can bring as many as they want; mount a dozen on a tre.

What say we claim a tradition of feeding bulldogs to the eagle whenever a dog enters JUS. See how the moo staters like that tradition.

What happens if DWS Security tries to confiscate the Auburn cowbells?

Then the person can choose to give it up, or be ejected/arrested. I'll take my chances.

Great, we just cost ourselves a win. I blame myself. I'm sorry Gus.

Archived