Before we start jumping off the ship...

StatTiger

Orange and Blue forever.

Gus will right the ship. I have full faith that he will have us winning again.

War Damn Eagle!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stat, count me among those who are grateful for your post & perspective. Seeing the "big picture" is helpful as I try to put Sat night's disappointment behind me. We really have come so far from 2012, & you've reminded me to be grateful to Gus & Co. for the ride. I'm solidly on the Gus bus & glad to be there! War Eagle everybody!!

I think you have an offense that's looking for answers from our defense. As always, the best offense in the nation is only as good as it's top ranked defense. If you got a fast paced offense that's not catching a break from its D. It gets tired and scatterbrained the longer it goes on. That being said I think we are struggling on both sides of the ball. I think our tight end should get the ball more instead of it seeming like we are constantly looking for big plays. We got very talented receivers all around. But I think we need to start playing more smashmouth also. Also, what happened to the constant Auburn fast. Not this 1:30 left in the 4th quarter Auburnfast we are doing. We used to be Auburnfast for 4 quarters. Not just when we might be able to take advantage of it after everyone is tired. But it being the advantage we have over any team from the 1st quarter. That's how sweet came back last year and dominated until the national championship. Which is somewhere we was not predicted to be. I want to see the real Auburnfast and change on defense. Regardless if it's new DC or not. Something must be done and I don't want to hear our players on the field just don't have the talent as Ellis said or may as well said. About my earlier statement with Muschamp. Yeah, he is getting a big buy out from Florida, and yes, the chances are slim. But we got a good head coach who has been here before. He had a good job at his old school as head coach of Arkansas St. We wanted him back. We ponied up the dough and Gus is back home. It's business, and enough money changes anything!!! If we really want Muschamp. I'm more than sure he would love to come back.

With JJ and Tim J STILL here it will not happen most likely and Indo not blame Will for that. I really like him but I also think Ellis deserves another year to make positive changes. Gus needs to help Ellis out as well with recruiting, etc. and making head coach decisions to fix communication issues.

We can't afford to fire too many more coaches. Athletic Dept is almost $900K in the hole.

true, ellis is paid 800k$. i bet there are dozens of HS coaches who would take about 10% of that and couldnt do any worse.

We can't afford to fire too many more coaches. Athletic Dept is almost $900K in the hole.

true, ellis is paid 800k$. i bet there are dozens of HS coaches who would take about 10% of that and couldnt do any worse.

Does he have a buyout? I have never heard of an asst. coach with a buyout.

These last two years with Coach Malzhan at the helm has been the best thing that Auburn could have as a premier college that it is and always will be. Looking at other coaches that started as HC at a major college Coach Malzhan has been one of few that started out as good as he has at a school that had a terrible year before starting his first year. Just look at D. Mullen. It took him 6 years before getting that program to where it is today. Call me crazy but I really feel that Coach Malzhan will be the first coach to win three NC's in a row before you know it. Everyone that has to complain needs to be humble about each season and NOT turn into that other state football team. It is better to be humble than to be arrogant because being arrogant and bragging about it makes everyone hate you.

yes , borges, is probably the first i remember at auburn. we paid him for 2 or 3 years after tubs dumped him. then franklin, maybe rhoades, i know gus and roof had buyouts as well as jeff grimes, trooper, luper, and loefler, who we are still paying 500K$ minus his salary at VA tech.

paw paw is paid $850,000 a year through 2017

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/i_have_confidence_in_ellis_joh.html

paw paw is paid $850,000 a year through 2017

http://www.al.com/au..._ellis_joh.html

Wonderful. Since that is the case then we can look forward to another year of this at least.

Reese Dismukes on critics of coaching: "there's a lot of people out there who are going to talk who don't know anything about anything."

@JamesCrepea

Dismukes: "There's a lot of people out there that's going to say stuff, right now it's just letting our young guys not to listen to that."

@AUBlog

This is starting to add up. $2 million potentially to buy out EJ plus $8.78 million already to Chizik and staff. Now I know why we don't have $ for facilities.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/25/it-cost-8-78-million-for-auburn-to-buyout-gene-chizik-and-staff/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/auburn_athletics_department_re_2.html

I haven't read many folks jumping off our ship on this board, that belittles those questioning what could be better. Many appreciate statigers excellent work and some like me note these stat-sessions...as data tends to be in general...are not complete and honest pictures.

Why Gus is MORE impressive than Spurrier at this point: eight words - Jim Bates then Ron Zook, or Ellis Johnson?

Why Spurrier is MORE impressive: the HC does hire his DC, doesn't he?.

Hmmm.

Many appreciate statigers excellent work and some like me note these stat-sessions...as data tends to be in general...are not complete and honest pictures.

Fair enough... I always enjoy a good football debate. I tend to paint a more detailed statistical breakdown, which portrays a more accurate assessment of the given situation. I don't always post data that reflects positive results and I certainly don't shy away from posting data, which shows when or where Auburn is struggling. It is easy to comment my data is incomplete or misleading, so I challenge you to post a counter opinion involving data the next time YOU believe I am being misleading.

I always appreciate Stats work and efforts. You are an honest broker of stats.

I still think of Twain's remarks when stats are tossed too much.

statistics2.jpg

Illustration by Peter Newell from COSMOPOLITAN,

August 1898 Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

Many appreciate statigers excellent work and some like me note these stat-sessions...as data tends to be in general...are not complete and honest pictures.

Fair enough... I always enjoy a good football debate. I tend to paint a more detailed statistical breakdown, which portrays a more accurate assessment of the given situation. I don't always post data that reflects positive results and I certainly don't shy away from posting data, which shows when or where Auburn is struggling. It is easy to comment my data is incomplete or misleading, so I challenge you to post a counter opinion involving data the next time YOU believe I am being misleading.

LOL. You've been called out Canuck. Next time you think Stat is cooking the books, show us who, what, where, when, and why.

Stats are facts. What is not facts is opinions and the so called eye test so many claim. The fact is that AU has played well enough to win each game as supported by the stats. There is other stats like turn overs and penalties that also show why we lost 3 games and played tight in two others. As I said stats do not lie. Opinions have no basis except to support someone's pre-determined mindset. WDE

I wish one could quantify heart,desire and determination. If it were possible, those stats might clear a lot up about our Tigers this year. O wait I guess you can, it's 7-3.

I wish one could quantify heart,desire and determination. If it were possible, those stats might clear a lot up about our Tigers this year. O wait I guess you can, it's 7-3.

You quantify heart, desire, and determination by wins and losses????

How many individual state championships did you win while in High School?

How many wins and losses did you have to endure playing Division 1 football? any sport?

In fact, do you have any individual stats available for us to quantify your heart, desire, and determination?

{Is this a bama troll anyone?}

First let me say, thanks Stat for all you do. I know a lot of work goes into your numbers that appear on these threads. Stats are just guidelines to allow a person make intelligent decisions and show trends. It's true in business and it's true in football. When Gus took over the team he had to start from scratch. What he accomplished in his first year is IMO, absolutely amazing. We came within 13 seconds pulling off one of the biggest coups in college football history and if everybody would be honest with themselves, we were pretty damn lucky to even get to the big dance. We have have tasted some adversity this season and a lot of people want to start chopping heads off. Some on here remind me of the Spanish Inquisition. We need to let Gus do his job and quit griping. I, for one, look forward to next year. Don't get off the bus folks, this is not the end of the world.

On Ellis Johnson. Johnson was a proven commodity that was available at the time and was the best stop gap measure available to Gus when he took over the team . CEJ has done an adequate job, not great but adequate. I think he is pretty close to hanging it up anyway. One thing that has always bothered me about CEJ is that he ran the game from the press box. IMO this should be a knowledgeable assistant's job, not the DC himself. He should be on the field with his players. It's hard to get a real feel for what's going on in the game if you are not there on the sideline. JMHO. Just sharing my thoughts, thanks again Stat for your hard work. WDE!!!!

:punk: :punk: :punk:

I wonder if this team spent enough time during the offseason working on the fundamentals. I know it's been brought up before but did they get too caught up in the whole being 13 seconds better idea? Every team and every season is different and last season means nothing if you're not fully prepared for this one. Gus is going to have to take this team completely apart and build it completely from scratch. Players are going to have to be pushed harder than they ever have before. Coaches are going to have to take a long hard look at themselves and challenge themselves to do better, to help the players become better and be one team with one identity and one mission. That starts with the head man. No player is safe in his spot. All positions are open and there for the taking. May the best man win. Changes may have to made in the staff. I'll leave that to Gus to decide.

Archived