An open letter to UGA fans

RunInRed

Give me a break! How do you tell a 12 yo to suck it up? Had to remove the flag from my house Friday night due to UGA fans from a party down the street somewhere stopping to yell obscenities and threats. I handled it by taking down my flag, but my Wife and daughter were not as understanding. They went to her sister's house to sleep. I won't bore you with the details, but a customer/friend who used two of my tickets had a similar experience to this. His wife now says she is done with college football. The behavior was not just 'trash talk', and until your wife and kid feel threatened I would suggest you keep your suggestions on how to handle it to yourself!!

I am a permanent resident in a tourist location. As the UGA crowd visited this summer one week at a time, they were especially rude to my family and me. I honestly thought it was sour grapes over the prayer at Jordan Hare. Maybe it is just their fan base losing class.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an older person that did go to the game and the first thing that I noticed was that they booed the band. I thought that was pretty classless. It was my wife's first visit to Athens and I doubt we go back. We went over on a bus, and I think half of the people when getting back on to come back stated that they had experienced some sort of abuse and would never go back. As far as comments made earlier by someone to get over it and suck it up, surely that was a mental lapse on your part, if not you may need some help. No excuse for that kind of behavior. Also I am not sure what wearing button down and khakis has anything to do with anything.

If we wanted a leghumper's opinion we'd ask the janitor.

I've had two friends who would not lie about such things tell me they not only had it happen to them as described above but saw multiple incidents of it with other people.

Face facts: your fan base is comprised of entitled jackasses that shouldn't be breeding.

-TitanTiger

P.S. You still haven't sniffed a natty since the disco era. Because you wet the bed every time the opportunity is there. Deal with it.

Member for 14 minutes-- new record? ;)

No idea what the UGA guy said, I didn't see it before it was deleted. But we have a younger friend who is a UGA fan and who was at the game. My husband read him the article and our friend said that he saw a UGA student up in the face of a 50-something Auburn fan. He said the kid would not leave the guy alone. Rob, our friend, turned to the Auburn guy and said " I' d whip his @$$!" So the Auburn fan had enough and punched the guy several times. The other UGA fans just stood and watched. Our friend said the kid deserved it. Rob had no reason to tell the story if it made his school look bad, but he was disgusted with what he saw. He also said he saw people spitting on Auburn fans. I think we need to have everyone who was treated poorly write letters to their AD. I think he would be inundated with them.

My first and last experience at UGA was the blackout game. I was only mildly chastised on the way to the game past the frat houses. I was there with a friwnd who is a huge GA fan. During the game I was insulated being in the AU section, but as we left it escalated quickly. I had cups thrown as I went down the stairs. When I looked up to see who lost their cup we were berated with obscenities. On the walk back to his truck it was as common to hear f bombs hurled at me and Auburn as it was to hear Soulja Boy jamming Superman at every tailgate. As we passed back past the frats I was walking and talking with my buddy and an AU fan with an 8 yo kid. Some idiot stepped off the curb and yelled F Auburn in my face. My buddy pushed him back away as we exchanged words. We walked off not knowing what would happen if we came to blows. The father and an older couple around 60 wearing AU stuff walked with us as we made our way from the stadium. On the way I experienced kids yelling obscenities at everyone in AU stuff and throwing things from balconies. My friend apologized for the entire trip home. Completely classless from every fan under 30 we ran into.

Ugaly fans are as pompous as bammers with nothing to back it up. They have a serious and unfounded superiority complex towards AU.

It sounds like our recent successes and offering of a a good home to two of their former players has pushed most of them off the deep end.

Sounds like the admin there need to reel in some angry inbreds.

Guest jojo1515

You can complain about fans of every college being rude, drunk, stupid. I'm not a youngster anymore and thru the years I've learned only other fans can control the unruly ones. When we see one of ours doing something stupid it is our duty to say something to them, and than apologize to the offended individual. The saying " Do onto others like you would have them do onto you" needs to be a motto of every Auburn fan. Just my opinion, I live that way and I sleep real good!

This exactly. Every time I see AU fans acting like idiots, I call them on it. I guess we've had the fortune of dealing with turds for so long that we do everything in our power to be better people as a whole than those that think it is ok to treat people like garbage over a game that neither party had anything to do with. Not sure where being a fan of anything got to mean that you can harass and violate everyone that happens to pull for someone else. Especially college sports. It's a bunch of 20 year old kids playing a game that in the big picture means absolutely nothing and has zero to do with the fans (other than the money comes from fans). Any fan that thinks it is ok to treat people with anything other than 100 percent class and respect is an absolute loser of the worst kind. Anyone here that is defending that behavior as just part of sports is right there with them. They all need to have their heads checked and the priorities straightened.

They've been this way for at least 10 years. That's the last time we went. My then 14 yr old daughter heard the f word literally every 3 minutes.

They've been this way since I was in school. Around '81, 2 of my fraternity brothers went to Athens for a game. They were about the only 2 in the fraternity that didn't drink. After the game, which UGA won, they were jumped and beaten, ended up in the hospital. Also, the only time we had a band refuse to come back out for a set was due to UGA fans at our fraternity house. I was a fraternity officer and they asked for me and said they wouldn't play until they were removed because of the way they were acting. And the UGA fans weren't in our counter part frat at UGA. They also did a bunch of damage to our fraternity house. They were the only school we had physical altercations with and trouble from in my 4 years at Auburn. I honestly dislike UGA fans more than bama fans. Bama fans are just plain stupid. UGA fans are vulgar, crass, and violent.

Ugaly fans are as pompous as bammers with nothing to back it up. They have a serious and unfounded superiority complex towards AU.

It sounds like our recent successes and offering of a a good home to two of their former players has pushed most of them off the deep end.

Sounds like the admin there need to reel in some angry inbreds.

The admins are angry inbreds.

An x-coworker and a good friend, who was an UGA football player in the early 80's. Told me a trip to Auburn was this way towards the players as the entered and left the stadium each time. People spitting, throwing drinks on them, cussing at them each time they entered/exited the visitors entrance to the field. The other pain he felt was Bo destroying UGA on the field.

He states he will never go back to Auburn for a game. I tell him it's not that way anymore and tell him if I ever get a pair of tickets to a game I would take him with me to prove it.

I know there are idiots in every fan base, but at least we try to reign our idiots in. Hearing how bad people were treated this weekend is pathetic. Noone should ever fear for their personal well being at a game much less inside the stadium. The actions of so many UGA fans makes me sick. It's a shame to see adults act this way. Well adult age anyway, their actions prove they are not actually adults but still children.

I hope everyone made it out and home without anything serious happening.

Just for the record, I have a group of friends who went to the game, all decked out in AU gear, and they experienced nothing like this. I went to a game in Athens a few years back and had a great time, even though we lost. Every fan base has a faction of drunk idiots who by in large never set foot in a classroom on campus.

i have never attended a game at UGA, though I lived not far from there for several years.

I have been to the UGA game at AU and encountered some "over the top" Dawg fans even there.

I went to one AU/GA game in Athens back in 1979. Auburn went on to win the game and as we were leaving I saw this guy wearing a t-shirt which said on the back in big letters, F... AUBURN. ow that's class.

Just for the record, I have a group of friends who went to the game, all decked out in AU gear, and they experienced nothing like this. I went to a game in Athens a few years back and had a great time, even though we lost. Every fan base has a faction of drunk idiots who by in large never set foot in a classroom on campus.

I get that, but I've seen too many accounts now, some from people I know quite well outside of message boards, who are backing these accounts up. They travel to many away games including Oxford and Starkville this year, Baton Rouge last year. They all said that by far Athens was the worst in terms of how people acted. It was over the top because it wasn't just a few idiots here or there it was a ton of idiots both outside and inside the stadium.

Their fan base has a problem. Hell, there's even a thread on one of the bammer boards basically backing up the Auburn fans account...people saying they've been to Auburn, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Gainesville, but that their last trip to Athens was easily the worst in terms of how the home fans behaved.

I have always taken pride in our fans treating visitors with respect, I remember West Virginia fans being embarrassed about the way they treated us as compared to their treatment in Auburn.

All SEC teams have bad fans, I have bad memories of trips to Knoxville. I agree the mutts have really gone downhill, I think it flows from the head coach, just my opinion.

I actually just read the Ostendorf article on ESPN about how our problems became apparent in MSU game (decent article) but in the comments following the story, an UGA fan wrote an apology about how badly he saw his fellow UGA fans treating Auburn people and that he felt it was wrong and should not happen. Just thought I'd share that since this thread seems to be along that theme.

I wish someone would spit at or throw a bottle at me....especially if I'm with my friends....that would be one tore up bar

I wish someone would spit at or throw a bottle at me....especially if I'm with my friends....that would be one tore up bar

Great idea if you like spending the night in the pokey and ponying up for the damages.

how old are you?

Archived