Brutal Schedule.......excuse

3Jtiger22

Last year we played about the same as we have played this year. We got lots of breaks last year. This year we were out played and out coached in the MSST game and A&M. This lead to the poor showing against GA. If we win MSST and A&M we would have had a much different demeanor against GA. Winning breeds winning. Nothing succeeds like success.

Last year we played about the same as we have played this year. We got lots of breaks last year. This year we were out played and out coached in the MSST game and A&M. This lead to the poor showing against GA. If we win MSST and A&M we would have had a much different demeanor against GA. Winning breeds winning. Nothing succeeds like success.

I think we played slightly better last year actually. It didn't seem like we had so many penalties. Especially on critical "we need to score/need a stop here" drives. I think the defense played slightly better last year as well. As far as missing out on big pass plays that would be easy TDs, I think that is about the same as last season probably though.

There is no "excuse." Excuses are not acceptable in football. There are explanations. There are reasons. But not excuses.

The only explanation that counts is Auburn's own poor play -- fumbles, interceptions, penalties, special teams screw-ups, defensive penalties, poor tackling, and on and on. CGM and the other coaches and the players will not make excuses. They will man up and accept responsibility. Auburn just has not played winning football.

After losing to A&M at home, does anyone really think Auburn would have beat UGA, even if it had been played in Jordan Hare? I sure don't.

Auburn has a pretty good record at Tuscaloosa. Playing at Tuscaloosa is not an excuse or an explanation or a reason. Auburn will win or lose based on how well they play. If Auburn makes a lot of mistakes, Auburn will lose. If Auburn plays up to its full potential without making critical mistakes, Auburn will win.

No excuses.

QFT

This is all that really needs to be said on the subject.

Going into the season, the non-homer consensus was between 8-4 and 10-2. Nothing surprising. We'll be better next year. We ought to do something about our defense, though, which has been playing atrociously.

I'm glad it's not up to me to decide what to do about our D. One minute I think we need to jettison Coach Johnson and get a new DC and the next I'm thinking that it takes at least 3 seasons to install any new defensive system and our D players haven't had the same DC for 2 years in a wor for several years now.

However, if Malzahn does keep Johnson and the D does not improve considerably then it will be Malzahn in trouble this time next year and not just Johnson. I do think some position coaches need to be replaced, even if Johnson stays.

Going into the season, the non-homer consensus was between 8-4 and 10-2. Nothing surprising. We'll be better next year. We ought to do something about our defense, though, which has been playing atrociously.

I'm glad it's not up to me to decide what to do about our D. One minute I think we need to jettison Coach Johnson and get a new DC and the next I'm thinking that it takes at least 3 seasons to install any new defensive system and our D players haven't had the same DC for 2 years in a wor for several years now.

However, if Malzahn does keep Johnson and the D does not improve considerably then it will be Malzahn in trouble this time next year and not just Johnson. I do think some position coaches need to be replaced, even if Johnson stays.

If we end up throwing out the baby with the bathwater... if we fire an offensive wizard with great HC leadership skills because our defense isn't holding up, I'll be massively disappointed. I'd rather be safe than sorry and go for a new DC.

I think the fact CEJ visited Reuben Foster and 11 day's later he was committed to the school that is the rival of the tattoo on his arm is cause for termination. We shouldn't pursue the 4-2. That's 2 linebackers on the field instead of 3 or 4. That's less PT that you can promise. That's fewer and less talented LBs. That's less leadership in a position that is the QB of your defense.

You're totally right about position coaches. Gotta do better on ST. Heck, we should pay some dude 800,000/yr to teach tackling.

Side note: We shouldn't get our jockstraps in a twist over an 8-4 season. Pat Dye's overall coaching record at AU is close to 8-4 per season. And we named the field for him.

Just one other thought about our schedule....which is indeed very tough.

I wonder about those people who are on here constantly complaining that we should be playing Power 5 teams for our OOC games instead of say....Samford or LaTech. Can anyone imagine what it would have been like this season if had scheduled Ohio State and Oklahoma instead of the schools we did?

Well, we did play top twelve team Kansas State in Manhattan. That was enough for me. No mas

If we end up throwing out the baby with the bathwater... if we fire an offensive wizard with great HC leadership skills because our defense isn't holding up, I'll be massively disappointed. I'd rather be safe than sorry and go for a new DC.

I think the fact CEJ visited Reuben Foster and 11 day's later he was committed to the school that is the rival of the tattoo on his arm is cause for termination. We shouldn't pursue the 4-2. That's 2 linebackers on the field instead of 3 or 4. That's less PT that you can promise. That's fewer and less talented LBs. That's less leadership in a position that is the QB of your defense.

You're totally right about position coaches. Gotta do better on ST. Heck, we should pay some dude 800,000/yr to teach tackling.

Side note: We shouldn't get our jockstraps in a twist over an 8-4 season. Pat Dye's overall coaching record at AU is close to 8-4 per season. And we named the field for him.

sorry but calling for a coach just coming in and recruiting someone who many believe wasn't ever planning on coming here is laughable....I don't think foster really considered coming post Taylor being let go...that tattoo was explained as to why he got it...

I really don't think we go 11-1 last year with this schedule, but who knows. Anyone who discounts this schedule as a factor is goofy. Have we had more issues this year? Of course. Would we have had more issues last year if we played bama, uga, state, misses, and ksu on the road? Maybe not, but the chances are pretty good.

sorry but calling for a coach just coming in and recruiting someone who many believe wasn't ever planning on coming here is laughable....I don't think foster really considered coming post Taylor being let go...that tattoo was explained as to why he got it...

I just have to disagree. I heard the Trrooper excuse, too. Trooper was WR/get-up coach. Maybe they were buddies. But it's not like Foster went to Arky state to follow him. The tattoo excuse is equally BS. The kid branded himself AU, then flipped. CEJ dropped the ball. I'm certain it was the revelation of a 2 LB scheme. Nothing else adds up.

I really don't think we go 11-1 last year with this schedule, but who knows. Anyone who discounts this schedule as a factor is goofy. Have we had more issues this year? Of course. Would we have had more issues last year if we played bama, uga, state, misses, and ksu on the road? Maybe not, but the chances are pretty good.

True. Handicappers give the home team a touchdown. How many games did we have decided by 7 points or less?

Anyone who discounts this schedule as a factor is goofy. Have we had more issues this year? Of course. Would we have had more issues last year if we played bama, uga, state, misses, and ksu on the road? Maybe not, but the chances are pretty good.

True. Handicappers give the home team a touchdown. How many games did we have decided by 7 points or less?

Well, we beat the team on the road that the #1 playoff team couldn't. Last year we played useless arky and tenny on the road and lost by two scores to possibly the best team we played on the road. Only a fool discounts our schedule imo. We have the kind of schedule that magnifies issues.

I don't think we are as good a team this year on defense due to little if any pass rush and the secondary is playing horribly, but you can't discount our schedule, it defies logic.

Nothing excuses that A&M loss. Nothing. They struggled to beat LA Monroe at home the week prior and were beaten at home again against an offensively inept Mizzou team the week after they played us. They were blown out by every good team they played. Oh, and let's not forget the true freshman QB thing. Worst loss in years considering what was at stake. Unforgivable.

Ok, that's not what this thread is about but it was a very painful loss.

Two bad mistakes late and poor defense in the 1st half cost us the win. We should have won for many reasons. We didn't, I'm over it.

Two bad mistakes late and poor defense in the 1st half cost us the win. We should have won for many reasons. We didn't, I'm over it.

i wish i was over it

i wish i was over it

Maybe you'll get some perspective for Christmas. ;)

Who do you think we lose to? I think last year's team beats msu and a&m pretty easy

Who do you think we lose to? I think last year's team beats msu and a&m pretty easy

I don't know. I just think they drop one more with this brutal of a schedule. I think they beat a/m like we coulda, woulda, shoulda this year.

However, playing this years Ole Miss team on the road as well as state, bama, uga, and ksu would have been a MUCH tougher schedule. Ole miss made a late charge last year which had me nervous. They BARELY beat a lesser state team at home, so saying they beat a better state team easily on the road doesn't hold much water. Oh, and as tight as the IB was at home for them last year, it is far from a stretch to say they could easily lose to a similar turd team on the road this year.

I think last years team was a little better because the d played a little better in some key games. However, if we pull a rabbit out of our a$$ and beat bama and win a bowl game, this team goes down as pretty damn good with one huge drop against a/m.

Well saying they beat msu easy hold alot of water to me because I don't see that team turning the ball over back to back like that. But I guess it depends on when we played them because that barely beat a lesser msu team was before we were really running the read option but the Auburn team that played in the SEC championship game kills any team we have played thus far this year. But if for some reason some how you convinced yourself this team is better than our team last year maybe that's the way you see it

Back to the original question, this season according to the power indices and pundits, our schedule was harder than the rest of the SEC West and rest of the country except Arky because on even years we play our traditional perennial top 10 rivals on the road, plus this year we played KState on the road. The truth is somewhere between the schedule being an excuse and it meaning nothing, you play better faster tougher more sophisticated teams without a breather you might be more likely to play starters you'd otherwise let get over dings and get more hurt. TaM was a lame loss nevertheless and UGA annihilated us. We have zero historical incentive to play harder out of conference opponents though, we've never been rewarded for beating them. Until arguably this season.

i wish i was over it

Maybe you'll get some perspective for Christmas. ;)/>

ill tell Santa

Well saying they beat msu easy hold alot of water to me because I don't see that team turning the ball over back to back like that. But I guess it depends on when we played them because that barely beat a lesser msu team was before we were really running the read option but the Auburn team that played in the SEC championship game kills any team we have played thus far this year. But if for some reason some how you convinced yourself this team is better than our team last year maybe that's the way you see it

It is beyond baffling how you came to the conclusion in your last sentence. I even flat out said last years team was better. Not once did I indicate this years team is better, just that this years schedule is tougher and last years team could have easily lost an extra game had they played the same schedule.

And like I said I guess the time period you get the team from would greatly affect the outcome because the example you used was barely beating a miss st team that we probably beat by thirty if we play them again later on in the year.

But either way it's opinions we're stating so I don't guess there is a point of arguing. IMO if we don't lose any games in the first 3 or 4 weeks of the schedule I don't see us losing any extra games with this schedule. I guess you disagree. I'm fine with that

The schedule this year has been brutal but it's not going to be a whole lot easier next year. With the season opener against Louisville plus road trips to Baton Rouge, Fayetteville and College Station, that sets up to be not much less of a challenge. UK in Lexington won't be a pushover.

i dont think he can take that chance, Johnson needs to step down

Archived