Oldest Arizona Survivor Passes Away

Proud Tiger

Lt. CDR Joe Langdell, the oldest living survivor of the USS Arizona has passed away a age 100. Thank you Joe and all your shipmates for the service and price you guys paid. RIP with them.

I hope the young people of today never forget.

http://www.usatoday....-dies/22980983/

Thanks for posting this PT. May God truly bless and keep this HERO and his family/friends.....

Godspeed, sir! May you rejoin your shipmates on the sea of serenity. Favorable winds and following seas.

His ashes will be placed beneath the Arizona along with those of many of his shipmates. If anyone can walk across the Arizona and look down at all those and not weep they are a better man than me.

I visited the Arizona memorial last May, My niece was graduating from UH -- Manoa and we took the opportunity to take a trip to Hawaii. Very, very moving experience. The listing of names of casualties is sobering enough but, the addition of survivors who had passed away and had elected to have their ashes interred along with their shipmates is even more so. Every citizen should make this trip some time.

I have one of the flags retired from the flag pole at the Arizona Memorial. I'd love to see it in person along with Omaha Beach.

Having grown up as a Navy brat in foreign countries (retired Master Chief), I have always wanted to visit both the Arizona Memorial and the USS MIssouri. I've seen as many ship museums as I can on the continent, but that remains the ultimate one. Fair winds and following seas Commander Langdell.

Archived