2015 4* LB Roquan Smith (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDW, any idea where he rates against McBryde? Both takes? I assume Holland is a definite number one priority.

EDW, any idea where he rates against McBryde? Both takes? I assume Holland is a definite number one priority.

Smith is ahead of McBryde. Holland is going to be a really hard pull.

Oh, I've figured as much about Holland. Florida lean. That doesn't mean he drops on our board, right? It just means we may not land the guy we have evaluated the highest.

Any ideas on whether we'd take Smith and McBryde? My assumption is yes.

Any ideas on whether we'd take Smith and McBryde? My assumption is yes.

Smith is a priority and a take. I'm not sure that McBryde is a take right now, simply due to the fact that we're looking to sign 2-3 pure linebackers and there are several names on that second tier board (eg: Josh Smith). The staff is also going to put a lot of effort into a kid like Ricky DeBerry...I'm just not convinced we fill our quota until we have a pretty good feel that we dont have a realistic shot at those top-tier guys.

"Smith is a priority and a take. I'm not sure that McBryde is a take right now, simply due to the fact that we're looking to sign 2-3 pure linebackers and there are several names on that second tier board (eg: Josh Smith). The staff is also going to put a lot of effort into a kid like Ricky DeBerry...I'm just not convinced we fill our quota until we have a pretty good feel that we dont have a realistic shot at those top-tier guys"

That's been our problem in the past, although I don't understand why kids don't want to coffee and challenge for a starting role or potential starter. Seems like we really only have a shot I'd they are athletic linebackers and maybe grew up an auburn fan, have auburn ties, go to auburn high school.....wait a second

If any player in our "star" position is a good enough football player for the NFL they will find a way to draft him and get him on the field. Calling him a hybrid is not a bad label in my opinion. Look at the Seahawks defense. The SB MVP was Malcolm Smith and they list him as an outside LBer but I have seen some refer to him as a hybrid. He is listed at only 6'-0" 226#. That is small for a NFL LBer and is in fact smaller than Cam Chancellor (6'-3" and 232#) their starting safety.

I surely hope we get Smith. Per the pic he is his stated 6'2". Impressive!

3/01/14 campus visit ...

BfaMkH8IMAAXTih.jpg

This was not a 3/1/14 campus visit. It's a pic from February 1 or 2 that Bryan Matthews retweeted yesterday. He also did that 2 weeks ago with a 8 month old Trent Thompson pic. I don't know why he does that. All it does is confuse people.

And I'm pretty sure Gus is 6'2 not 6'4. I'm 6'0 and Gus walked by me at the arena the other night and he was only a couple inches taller than me.

I believe you're correct, E. Most of these kids have inflated 40 times and height...just part of the hype. We do it too...short of the NFL combine, I trust few numbers for height/weight/40 times.

I remember when teams would do the opposite, make their players smaller on the official rosters. The theory was you showed up to play someone and he was 2" taller and 15-20 lbs bigger than you thought he was going to be. Just a type of mind game.

I think we need to stop callilng the star position a safety/LB hybrid. just call it OLB we can recruit a fit for it better and not be negatively recruited against.

I think we need to stop callilng the star position a safety/LB hybrid. just call it OLB we can recruit a fit for it better and not be negatively recruited against.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think that what a fan calls a position matters. But you could be right some recruits are much more needs than others.

The military is known for diminishing the size of recruits as well. just saying.

A rose by any other name......and such.

We will be negatively recruited against regardless of anything anyone does. No point in worrying about it and certainly no point in changing what we do because of it.

I totally agree with you. It just so happens to have an athletic linebacker playing the position. I think you are right on.

It doesn't matter what we call the position. We lost one recruit because he wanted to "rush the passer" along with other issues. The Star is expected to be a jack of all trades. He is expected to be in the limelight and make plays. He is asked to make sacks, interceptions, tackles, pass breakups and shut down vital interior offensive weapons (i.e. TE's, RB's, Slots). That is a tall task and takes a special talent. Our staff will find the right guy for the job. The recruit who didn't want that job basically said I don't want to work on my weakness. I'm okay with not having that guy on my team.

Archived