2015 4* LB Roquan Smith (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

Until we get a kid drafted high in the nfl that played star at auburn, my guess would be we recruit the kid for the position that gets him on campus. Then we move them around. Until then, if there is any negative views of that position (real, imagined, or by negative recruiting) then it won't surprise me to have NO star recruits unless it's either a lower ranked guy or a guy who sees its value from the USCe days.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a concerned Auburn fan, I would like to know how I am going to be expected to differentiate between Roc and Roq in the future. I mean during games it will be obvious (offense/defense) but in discussions off the field.

You just did. ;D

Well before E explained the pronunciation. I was talking about in conversations face to face in which case Roc,Rock, and Roq could be difficult to discern.

Is there a "star" in the NFL that these players can compare themselves to and believe they can get to the NFL playing that position?

Is there a "star" in the NFL that these players can compare themselves to and believe they can get to the NFL playing that position?

No. They either end up at S (the majority) or LB (Holloman).

No. They either end up at S (the majority) or LB (Holloman).

I think what Tiger is saying is, "is there a star from USCe in the NFL" that we can point them to or that's how I looked at it. they may go to safety or LB but played star for CEJ and made it to the NFL.

I think what Tiger is saying is, "is there a star from USCe in the NFL" that we can point them to or that's how I looked at it. they may go to safety or LB but played star for CEJ and made it to the NFL.

All of them are in the NFL. Darian Stewart was an UDFA and is a backup FS with the Rams. Antonio Allen was a 7th round pick and is a spot-starter FS with the Jets. DeVonte Holloman was a 6th round pick and worked his way into the starting lineup as a LB for the Cowboys.

The recruiting pitch that will be used against us will be that all of those guys could have potentially been drafted higher if they simply played each of those positions exclusively, instead of playing a tweener position which the NFL struggles to evaluate. The problem with the guys playing "Star" moving forward is that most of them dont develop a skillset that is specialized enough. Thus the guys that are physically built like Safeties tend to be weak/raw in deep coverage because they spend most of their time around the LOS, while the rare few guys who actually have LB size tend to be raw playing through traffic and taking on blockers.

didn't Captain mudderlyn play the star at USCe? i know i probably hacked up his name but feel free to correct me. :dunno:

Munnerlyn did not play the position.

A counter argument to the negative recruiting could be that with more nfl teams incorporating the zone read offense, more defenses will have to adapt to those "play in space" players, ala The Star.

A counter argument to the negative recruiting could be that with more nfl teams incorporating the zone read offense, more defenses will have to adapt to those "play in space" players, ala The Star.

The "zone read" is still just a sub-package in the NFL that a few teams run. No one is going to draft a "Star" player high just because they may see a few teams run a zone-read a handful of times each game.

The position simply isn't a cross-over that NFL teams will evaluate highly. "Tweener" is a word that you never really want to hear when talking about NCAA-to-Draft, with the only real exception being 3-4 OLB who are regularly smaller/quicker 4-3 DE's in college. The problem is that no one runs a 4-2-5 in the NFL, so the roving "Star" players either has be evaluated as a Safety or as a Linebacker.

Yeah, I get that at the present stage of the nfl, but as more and more zone read QBs are drafted more and more teams will have to defensively account for the scheme. It's not there yet, but if college play is modifying the nfl game, it won't be long before. star type player is very draftable.

Yeah, I get that at the present stage of the nfl, but as more and more zone read QBs are drafted more and more teams will have to defensively account for the scheme. It's not there yet, but if college play is modifying the nfl game, it won't be long before. star type player is very draftable.

Given the size and power of NFL D's you'll never see the zone read be a staple of any NFL O no matter how many zone read QBs get drafted.

There is a guy on the Seahawks that was playing the Safety/LB hybrid position. He was a beast in the superbowl...can't remember his name but he wore a visor..i believe #31

Why not just run a traditional 4-3 base and based on matchups stick an extra safety in there for pass heavy teams or keep the 3rd LB for the power teams? Seems like it could help recruiting while still keeping a 4-2-5ish scheme.

Why not just run a traditional 4-3 base and based on matchups stick an extra safety in there for pass heavy teams or keep the 3rd LB for the power teams? Seems like it could help recruiting while still keeping a 4-2-5ish scheme.

Sounds like common sense. I hate the "Star" terminology.

You run what we thinks is going to have the most success. We can go traditional 4-3 or 4-2-5, etc.... Depending situation

Sounds like common sense. I hate the "Star" terminology.

+1 unfortunately they don't pay me the big bucks to make those decisions.

An ammendment to my post on Page 6, Holland is being recruited at OLB/WLB. I went back to look at something and saw it and wanted to correct myself. Suppose Tre figures to be there but someone else will as well.

The 4-2-5 allows the flexability to change a defense without having to substitute. A lot of teams will try to run multiple formations using the same personel. Whether a 5 wide or a 2TE jumbo set, the 4-2-5 can morph to defend either. The 4-3 needs substituions to avoid mismatches being forced uon the defense.

The 4-2-5 allows the flexability to change a defense without having to substitute. A lot of teams will try to run multiple formations using the same personel. Whether a 5 wide or a 2TE jumbo set, the 4-2-5 can morph to defend either. The 4-3 needs substituions to avoid mismatches being forced uon the defense.

I totally understand that. And thats why I favored it to the 4-3 prior to hearing about the negative effect is has on recruiting and how there aren't many guys in the NFL in that position (that played it in college or currently playing the star) that high school kids can say "yes, I can do that at the next level". I guess we just need to land that one guy that is ideal for the position to see how well it really would work. I don't like the idea of Rob Therezie in the box trying to stop the run against LSU or Bama nearly as much as I like the idea of a linebacker. On the other hand, I wouldn't want a LB in there playing against Texas A&M's spread -- Therezie is clearly the better option in that scenerio. So maybe right now we just have to make do with what we have at the star position.

Kam Chancellor is the perfect example of what we want. 6'3", 230 with coverage skill (but not ideal for man to man coverage down the field). He also essentially played Star in college. He plays Rover in Bud Foster's system, which is a hybrid S/LB position. He's your best example. That or a LB like Michael Boulware (6'3", 220) who played SLB in college, was a second round pick, but immediately moved to Safety in Seattle. He would've played Star at Auburn (we don't play a Sam LB).

If these kids see that they will have to change positions as they are going into the NFL, I can see how other teams running 4-3 or 3-4 can sell that recruiting pitch better to a LB prospect.

Could WIll Herring have played the position well? He seemed to be a tweener.

Will was playing out of position at Safety. He was an OLB. We just didn't have a spot for him there when Tubs wanted smaller/faster LBs. Will found his proper home his senior year, but yeah, he could've played Star.

The two guys I think would've excelled at Star are Travis Williams and Karibi Dede. The 2003 team would've had Dansby or Williams at Star (if you changed the system to the current one).

Archived