2015 4* LB Roquan Smith (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

Makes you wonder if we can pick up Holland and Smith and be done at LB...

I can see us pick up 3 LB. Mikey must be smiling.

Maybe a small grin. :)/> He won't have a real smile :big:/> until we sign 4 LBs.

Correct! With our disappointment rate of over 50% at the position, four is nowhere near too many.

I expect 3, maybe 4, as I think we'll eventually see a current star commit move on.

Almost a given ATP. And who cam blame them. Atkinson is a great athlete, and so is Sullivan. I think MA will be first with ES to follow depending on who else commits.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a small grin. :)/> He won't have a real smile :big:/> until we sign 4 LBs.

Correct! With our disappointment rate of over 50% at the position, four is nowhere near too many.

I expect 3, maybe 4, as I think we'll eventually see a current star commit move on.

Almost a given ATP. And who cam blame them. Atkinson is a great athlete, and so is Sullivan. I think MA will be first with ES to follow depending on who else commits.

Aha, I was not reading the Council post right, and maybe Mikey was there with me. Since Star was not capped, I thought Council meant (star = great player). I do get it on our Star position commits since we may have 3 already commited that may end up in this position.

I tend to not lump the Star into the LB catigory, as it seems it is its own specific hybrid in our defense. I may be wrong and should not speak for Mikey but I think we need better output from our pure LB's and need more pure LB commits.

I tend to not lump the Star into the LB catigory, as it seems it is its own specific hybrid in our defense. I may be wrong and should not speak for Mikey but I think we need better output from our pure LB's and need more pure LB commits.

I agree strongly with all of the above. We do need better performance from our LBs, that's obvious. What I don't agree with is the notion that, er, some have that our existing LBs are incapable of being good.

I hate calling that position "star." It's a Rover. But anyway, with Holland and Colbert both as potential "stars", I don't see any way we keep both MA and ES.

CEJ has recently said Holland is being recruited to play star.

I am very surprised to hear this. I am guessing Johnson may change his thoughts on this. Holland I hope is a pure LB.

I take that statement to mean he'll be given a look at the position. Tough to target where a guy will actually land, especially when you're looking at the 17 year old body as opposed to the 20 year old body that actually starts.

If we somehow reeled in Colbert, Williams, Atkinson, Sullivan, Smith, and Holland (adding those guys to the LB signees last year: Williams and Davis), we'd have a glut of very athletic, long LB/Star (and possibly Safety) options. You mix and match to find each guy's proper fit. All of the new guys would be between 6'0" to 6'2" and 205 to 225. Tre Williams and Davis are ideal MLBs, but Darrell Williams could grow into that spot as well. Tough to predict. I suspect Holland, Colbert, Sullivan, and Atkinson would all get a look at Star.

I am guessing he said star because he meant star. A fast LB or a big safety can play it.

Got a link? What a coach "says" about a recruit typically is reported from the recruit, parent or high school coach.

Council.....this is sort of a bad tease. If you know something about a current commit that make you think he may not sign with us, please explain. Thanks

Agree 100%. This is similar to the second-grade playground stuff: "I know something you don't know, nanny-nanny-boo-boo." If there's something to say, say it. If there's nothing to say, say nothing.

Mikey, since you are up and about this AM, if we were to land both Holland and Smith, along with the 2 AL LB's...giving us 4 in this class, it may be one of the best LB classes AU has ever signed, based on potential. What do you think? I think Smith and Holland are seriously good.

I think that would be a great four LINEBACKERS, and plenty enough for one year. There are some here that will insist that two or three of those four guys are for the "Star" position, since those posters have staked whatever reputations they have on saying we don't want more than two LB's, but that's their problem. Since other prospects at the Star position have already committed, I'm pretty sure the four you list are all for LB.

To state that we're after a third, fourth and fifth Star player but three LB's is too many is rather silly.

I hate to say this, but if AU manages to reel in Smith, Holland and McBryde; the likelihood of Sullivan and/or Atkinson sticking to their commitment would diminish, wouldn't it?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/auburn_no_1_for_defender_jeffe.html

The writer of this article states to hollan will play star. maybe I'm just imagining Ellis Johnson having said it, but I'll see if I can't find another link.

I find it hard to believe he will end up as Star. Going into his senior year the article says he is 6'3" and 232 pds. He most likely will get bigger this year. He seems more like a large LB to me. Oh well, time will tell.

I hate to say this, but if AU manages to reel in Smith, Holland and McBryde; the likelihood of Sullivan and/or Atkinson sticking to their commitment would diminish, wouldn't it?

Those guys(Sullivan and Atkinson) are Star/safety types. At least I've been told they are not college linebackers. So no, recruiting linebackers shouldn't affect them at all.

The guy writing about Holland playing Star is simply trying to run him off from Auburn. The idea is crazy, Holland is a LB all the way.

Those guys(Sullivan and Atkinson) are Star/safety types. At least I've been told they are not college linebackers. So no, recruiting linebackers shouldn't affect them at all.

The guy writing about Holland playing Star is simply trying to run him off from Auburn. The idea is crazy, Holland is a LB all the way.

The Al.com guy who covers auburn is trying to run the recruit off?

Until proven otherwise, and I mean PROVEN!......Al.com=bamzo.

Until proven otherwise, and I mean PROVEN!......Al.com=bamzo.

Maybe, maybe not...... but for certain, just because someone covers AU for al.com does not mean they are Auburn fans. Covering AU is just their job.....and we have enough history of AU beat writers putting stuff on the al.com that was deliberately unflattering and/or not in AU's best interest.

I suspect it's just sloppy journalism.

I suspect it's just sloppy journalism.

But... but he has a link! That's supposed to be enough fact to prove anything and everything here, right?

Holland mentioned playing STAR in an interview following his A-Day visit. He said that is what he wants to do if he can. It shocked me to no end, but I also believe we are going to see different STAR positions much the way we have different LB positions. It is the way of Defense in College Football now, Versatility. From DT to DB, teams are going to be playing guys who are capable of playing more than one spot on the field. It is a must if you expect to defend the myriad of offenses in College Football.

Holland mentioned playing STAR in an interview following his A-Day visit. He said that is what he wants to do if he can. It shocked me to no end, but I also believe we are going to see different STAR positions much the way we have different LB positions. It is the way of Defense in College Football now, Versatility. From DT to DB, teams are going to be playing guys who are capable of playing more than one spot on the field. It is a must if you expect to defend the myriad of offenses in College Football.

Agreed

If that's the case, then I'm going to start claiming that we have already accepted commitments from four linebackers and are actively recruiting at least three more. (see the 2015 commit list at then top of the page.) This lends pretty good credence to my statements that we need to load up at LB. Seven LB's in this class, WOW! Thanks Dixie, you da' man! :)

Archived