2015 4* LB Roquan Smith (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

Holland mentioned playing STAR in an interview following his A-Day visit. He said that is what he wants to do if he can. It shocked me to no end, but I also believe we are going to see different STAR positions much the way we have different LB positions. It is the way of Defense in College Football now, Versatility. From DT to DB, teams are going to be playing guys who are capable of playing more than one spot on the field. It is a must if you expect to defend the myriad of offenses in College Football.

If that's the case, then I'm going to start claiming that we have already accepted commitments from four linebackers and are actively recruiting at least three more. (see the 2015 commit list at then top of the page.) This lends pretty good credence to my statements that we need to load up at LB. Seven LB's in this class, WOW! Thanks Dixie, you da' man! :)/>

Who are you and what have you done to Mikey?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holland mentioned playing STAR in an interview following his A-Day visit. He said that is what he wants to do if he can. It shocked me to no end, but I also believe we are going to see different STAR positions much the way we have different LB positions. It is the way of Defense in College Football now, Versatility. From DT to DB, teams are going to be playing guys who are capable of playing more than one spot on the field. It is a must if you expect to defend the myriad of offenses in College Football.

If that's the case, then I'm going to start claiming that we have already accepted commitments from four linebackers and are actively recruiting at least three more. (see the 2015 commit list at then top of the page.) This lends pretty good credence to my statements that we need to load up at LB. Seven LB's in this class, WOW! Thanks Dixie, you da' man! :)

NOW Mikey is happy. :big:

Why is the idea of Holland playing Star any different than the plan to play Evans at Star? Very similar builds, and Holland is actually used to playing in space (where Evans played with his hand in the dirt).

Coach Johnson has never minced words about his ideal Star. He wants a LB-sized guy with length that can cover in space. He wants Kam Chancellor. If we're recruiting guys that are 6'2" or 6'2" with long arms tipping the scale between 220 and 235, I kind of expect that guy to get a look at Star. Might not stay there, but that's Johnson's ideal body type for the spot. Finding a guy that size with coverage skills is the harder part.

Why is the idea of Holland playing Star any different than the plan to play Evans at Star? Very similar builds, and Holland is actually used to playing in space (where Evans played with his hand in the dirt).

Coach Johnson has never minced words about his ideal Star. He wants a LB-sized guy with length that can cover in space. He wants Kam Chancellor. If we're recruiting guys that are 6'2" or 6'2" with long arms tipping the scale between 220 and 235, I kind of expect that guy to get a look at Star. Might not stay there, but that's Johnson's ideal body type for the spot. Finding a guy that size with coverage skills is the harder part.

Amen

• 1 month later...

Moving Ro to the Rivals section based on this free post by Keith Niebuhr Link

Sounds like it with Roquan Smith ... and it's not a surprise, the way things have been trending. AU has locked in on McBryde and Holland ... UGA and UF, meanwhile, have gone all out for Smith.

http://florida.247sp...ts-set-29491789

Smith is very talented. Most likely UGA is going to be getting a good one. They have had their share of very good linebackers lately.

Crap! Roquan was the first person that Malzahn visited after the dead period earlier in the year. I really thought that he would be one of our top targets. Here's hoping that something changed before February gets here.

Another swing and miss at LB. I do believe we have a curse working against us there!

This is not downing you at all Mikey but is it a miss when the staff is looking at only 2 more LBs while you want 3 more? The staff is all in on Holland and McBryde and expect them to finish the LB class.

Another swing and miss at LB. I do believe we have a curse working against us there!

This is not downing you at all Mikey but is it a miss when the staff is looking at only 2 more LBs while you want 3 more? The staff is all in on Holland and McBryde and expect them to finish the LB class.

I know at some point in the past it was stated that McBryde may not be a take for us currently--I assume that has changed? If so, when could we expect a commitment from McBryde?

Assuming for a moment they'll only take two more (I don't think they will stop at two if they can get the right three guys, but that's another story...) Why would they not be recruiting more than Holland and McBryde? Those are merely birds in the bush. No staff recruits only two guys for a position when they need two. So yes, R. Smith was a take for us and we missed. Ergo, swing and a miss.

Of course, if you are saying we stopped recruiting him because we didn't want him then it not a swing and miss, but I think R. Smith was a take from the get-go. Do you know for a fact that AU told him to take a walk, we are no longer interested?

If we didn't tell him that, if he was still the take he's been all along, it was about as much a swing and miss as you can get.

Assuming for a moment they'll only take two more (I don't think they will stop at two if they can get the right three guys, but that's another story...) Why would they not be recruiting more than Holland and McBryde? Those are merely birds in the bush. No staff recruits only two guys for a position when they need two. So yes, R. Smith was a take for us and we missed. Ergo, swing and a miss.

Of course, if you are saying we stopped recruiting him because we didn't want him then it not a swing and miss, but I think R. Smith was a take from the get-go. Do you know for a fact that AU told him to take a walk, we are no longer interested?

If we didn't tell him that, if he was still the take he's been all along, it was about as much a swing and miss as you can get.

AU is on more LBers than just Holland and McBride. As for the swing and miss, yep. But you are going to have a bunch of swings and misses in recruiting. AU dropped Smith because they were not getting any great "vibes" from Smith. Putting energy to other prospects.

Remember my good friend Mikey, it's only July.

As far as a curse with LBer recruiting? Maybe three years ago but I don't think that is the case anymore. D. Davis is going to surprise you. Just wait. Kid is a BALLER. Do I even need to bring up Tre Williams? :bananadance:

I know at some point in the past it was stated that McBryde may not be a take for us currently--I assume that has changed? If so, when could we expect a commitment from McBryde?

Yes he's a take and he could commit at anytime between now and a week before his senior season starts.

AU dropped Smith because they were not getting any great "vibes" from Smith. Putting energy to other prospects.

And that's because Ro believes there is a much better chance at early PT at UGA and UF than AU.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if we were still recruiting him, backed off or conceded to UGA....I know LSU hasn't backed off...they were in town last week visiting him...Chavis and another defensive coach.

We've backed off, but that could all change if we get Coach Boom. Florida was an early favorite for Roquan until they started to tank. I expect we'd jump right back into it with him if we landed Muschamp.

• 4 weeks later...

“@TomVH: LB Roquan Smith visits Michigan Jan. 16, talking to Harbaugh tonight, UCLA 29th. Signing day decide btwn Florida, Georgia, Michigan & UCLA”

This really stinks! I was hoping that landing Muschamp would at least get us a January visit. It looks like Durkin was the bigger factor since he'll now official to Michigan.

"@TomVH: LB Roquan Smith visits Michigan Jan. 16, talking to Harbaugh tonight, UCLA 29th. Signing day decide btwn Florida, Georgia, Michigan & UCLA"

This really stinks! I was hoping that landing Muschamp would at least get us a January visit. It looks like Durkin was the bigger factor since he'll now official to Michigan.

Think about this: We have, committed as of today, Adkinson, McBryde, Sullivan and Colbert. All four are high school LB's and all four are roughly the same size and speed as R. Smith. I'm not sure we want another one in that same mold.

We're still after Holland, but he's a bigger guy that could play that "buck" DE position that Muschamp likes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

never mind....

and we thought we had it bad.

http://www.mlive.com...quan_smith.html

http://recruiting.bl...th-ucla-vs-uga/ the coach keeps answering by saying "we"

i hope he doesn't flip uga just for the mere fact i don't want to lose in recruiting ranks to the barking dummies and would rather him go west.

ANy chance of us getting back in this? Smith is very talented and he is a leader on the field too.

Archived