Auburn vs Xavier - game 2

Auburn up 2-1 going to bottom 5th.

Rocky McCord throwing mostly sliders. Spraying his fastball everywhere but the strike zone. Gives up a run in top of 5th and then he works the bases loaded. Coaches leave him in and he grinds out of the bases loaded jam.

That has to be a confidence boast to that young man. Glad the coaches gave him the opportunity.

I assume he will come out in the 6th on 85 pitches.

This Xavier team has not shown to be an offensive juggernaut. As always, throwing strikes puts a pitcher in position to be successful. Let's hope the fifth was an anomaly for McCord. It looks as though his pitches have so much movement on them he struggles to locate at times.

McCord done after 6 1/3 innings. Leaves with one on and a 2-1 lead. 1 run on 5 hits and 4 walks. That's okay against Xavier, but I'm not sure that cuts it on Sunday in the SEC.

Izaac Yarbrough the second reliever in the inning. Gives up a sacrifice fly to get the second out. Then gets the strikeout to bring the top of the seventh mercifully to an end. Tied 2-2 going to the bottom of the 7th.

115 pitches on Tuesday night. I'm guessing that means KT is not available out of the pen?

Yes. He said in the post-game interview that he would rest until aTm next Friday.

These close bullpen games will determine this team's ceiling this year. Bats have done well for us much of the year, time for the relief guys to hold one together until the offense can grind one out

Come on tigers.

I've missed the last few innings. Our bats have disappeared. We hit heir starter who was having trouble with all but one pitch but can't seem to get anything going with their relief - which gross said would be Xavier undoing.

Tackett HBP. Melvin Gray pinch runner. Nulph with a two strike single down the right field line. Gray to third. One out, on the corners

Runners on the corners after a nulph single.

One out.

Xavier goes to the bullpen and they send out a kid that looks 12 years old,

Surely we can get Grier home from 3rd against a middle school kid

Runners on 1st and 2nd one out for AU. F8. 2-2 count on Ebert. Grier picked off at first by the catcher. Bad mental mistake on the basepaths. To the 11th

Melvin Gray slashes and hits a chopper into no man's land in the infield. Infielder makes a do or die throw to first, gets past the 1B and Ebert scores the winning run

Archived