Baseball vs.Georgia - game 1

Unless Golloway getting himself tossed was part of some plan for future games, it was stupid. Wrong time and wrong situation to make an issue and prolong the game. When you've got 'em on their heels, don't piss around arguing calls, go ahead and knock 'em out.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure on ruling here. Will Golloway be able to coach tonight? Or does he sit a game now?

No....just got tossed from that game...normal stuff in baseball. As long as it is verbal and the coach does not lay hands on the ump it's just an early shower.

Coaches/ managers are not "allowed" to argue balls and strikes but they do it all the time....not many will just sit back if they think they ump is not being consistent with calls...and possibly affecting the outcome of a game. I watched the entire game and have no problem that Sunny challenged the umps consistency and strike zone....a couple pretty good looking pitches from Cole were called balls during the game....and at some point the coach has to push the issue. I'm not sure why so many folks on here think it was so awful.

Not sure on ruling here. Will Golloway be able to coach tonight? Or does he sit a game now?

No....just got tossed from that game...normal stuff in baseball. As long as it is verbal and the coach does not lay hands on the ump it's just an early shower.

Coaches/ managers are not "allowed" to argue balls and strikes but they do it all the time....not many will just sit back if they think they ump is not being consistent with calls...and possibly affecting the outcome of a game. I watched the entire game and have no problem that Sunny challenged the umps consistency and strike zone....a couple pretty good looking pitches from Cole were called balls during the game....and at some point the coach has to push the issue. I'm not sure why so many folks on here think it was so awful.

This right here ^^^ there's a whole lot that goes into a coach arguing to the point of getting thrown out. Sometimes it's to light a fire, sometimes it's to show that no matter the situation he'll fight like hell for his players, and sometimes it's just pure frustration. I think this personal instance, from all accounts, is much more likely to be involved with the first two options, than the last.

It's horrible because balls and strikes are JUDGEMENT calls. Complaining about them is not going to help your case one bit. In fact, its going to do way more harm than good. There's an old saying that comes to mind: "you get more flies with honey than with vinegar". Do you really think after arguing about something like balls and strikes that you're going to get the benefit of the doubt if there's a close play somewhere else or even at home plate? It's human nature. It's the coaches job to coach his players not tell the umpire what the strike zone is. They already know what it is, and some are tighter than others. I can almost guarantee you that most umpires behind the plate, when they hear one side constantly complaining about something like the strike zone, the strike zone for that pitcher is going to get smaller and smaller. Why should they give a pitcher the corners or even an inch or two off the plate when all the coach is doing is complaining all night? Like I said, arguing balls and strikes is counterproductive and its not going to change anything, except which coaches are sitting on the bench at the end of the game.

Sorry War....but just about every call in baseball is a judgment call...as are most calls on the football field which makes me wonder why anyone complains about refs favoring bama during crucial games? :dunno:

FYI from a Forbes article on baseball managers getting tossed. Legendary as he was, however, Earl Weaver has nothing on Atlanta Braves skipper Bobby Cox, who is the all-time leader in manager ejections, with 143 (which doesn’t even count his two ejections in World Series games). The most recent one? Yesterday, when he was tossed in a game against the Boston Red Sox for arguing balls and strikes, giving him 34 ejections since 2004. “I don’t know why umpires miss strikes,” Cox grumbled after the game.

Guess ole Bobby just never understood the game.

Archived