Petrino

Tigermike

Monday, December 27, 2004 

Sources: LSU's Bertman met Sunday with Louisville coach Petrino

By Mike Triplett

Staff writer

ORLANDO, FLA. - LSU athletic director Skip Bertman met with Louisville coach Bobby Petrino on Sunday to discuss the Tigers' coaching vacancy, several sources told The Times-Picayune.

Neither LSU nor Louisville officials would confirm the meeting. But Lousiville athletic director Tom Jurich confirmed that LSU asked for and received permission to speak with the 43-year-old coach.

Bertman has not returned phone calls for the past two days, and the school said it does not wish to comment on the specifics of the search process at this time. Bertman's whereabouts were not confirmed Sunday, and it is not clear where the meeting took place.

It is also not clear if Petrino is LSU's top candidate or if he was simply the first coach contacted. His team arrived in Memphis, Tenn., late Sunday night to begin preparations for the Liberty Bowl. So the quick interview was likely arranged on Petrino's timetable.

Current LSU coach Nick Saban announced Saturday night that he is leaving to coach the Miami Dolphins. But Saban's courtship with Miami lasted 12 days, so LSU had ample time to prepare a list of candidates.

Bertman said the school has enlisted a search firm to help contact potential candidates and discretely inquire about their interest.

Petrino has been a hot name in coaching searches for the past two years. He secretly met with Auburn officials last year when they considered replacing Tommy Tuberville. He reportedly spoke with Notre Dame this year and received interest from Florida and Ole Miss.

Petrino and Louisville had agreed to a contract extension earlier this month, and he committed himself to the school, saying, "I want to make it clear that I'm not interested in any other coaching jobs and am happy at the University of Louisville."

But that was before the LSU job became available.

Petrino is in his second year as the Cardinals' coach. He has led No. 7 Louisville to a 10-1 record. Previously, he was an offensive coordinator with Auburn and with the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.

------------

Mike Triplett can be reached at mtriplett@timespicayune.com or at (504) 826-3381.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpsports/

As if the LSU/Auburn rivalry wasn't heated enough...you throw a recent Auburn coach in at HC at LSU. Wow!

But then again, what in the world would the mighty Fighting LSU Tigers want with a former Auburn coach? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess the best way to look at Jetgate is to say at least the backstabbers were going after a good coach and not someone with nothing going on. :big::big:

As if the LSU/Auburn rivalry wasn't heated enough...you throw a recent Auburn coach in at HC at LSU.  Wow!

But then again, what in the world would the mighty Fighting LSU Tigers want with a former Auburn coach?  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

134183[/snapback]

Well, they have Jimbo already...........

The interesting and attractive thing as far as LS_WHO is concerned is that Petrino does NOT have a buy out clause in his brand new Louisville contract!!! I'll :au::homer: bet they get him!

Didn't I read that DiNardo is available? He knows the turf, the mediocre tradition, etc. And he'll go cheap - free corn dogs with all the mustard you can eat.

Who's his agent?

The interesting and attractive thing as far as LS_WHO is concerned is that Petrino does NOT have a buy out clause in his brand new Louisville contract!!! I'll :au:   :homer:   bet they get him!

134200[/snapback]

He seems like the best available.

I hope he doesn't go to LSU-he could be a force with the talent they have. LSU really is in a good position in finding a good coach other than there not being many candidates out there-mainly not having to rebuild

CTT never a candidate to go to :lsu: Say it aint so.... ;)

Nutt leave :arky: ? I doubt he would ever leave his alma mater, but I could be wrong.

LSU should either give the job to Jimbo (probably not) OR do the really smart thing and get Petrino. I would hate to see it, but he is the best candidate for the LSU job if you ask me. I think it a mistake to get Houston Nutt, he has pretty much nothing but mediocre to good teams at Arkansas since he got there.

If LSU doesn't hire Petrino, especially with the no buyout clause, they would be stupid, but what do you expect from LS...Who!!!!!

:au:

Archived