Recruiting Question for Bama fans

Tigermike

Unless I'm mistaken, the 85 scholarship player rule counts for any scholarship the athelete may have. So it would not be possible to have over 85 scholarshiped players on the roster at any point in time, regardless of whether or not it was a Football, Academic, Bryant, or Golf scholly. This was started by the NCAA because in order to bypass the 25/year limit, some coaches would get football players Golf, Academic, and other Scholarships. So the NCAA started counting ALL scholarships.

Technically, as far as scholly numbers are concerned, the Bryant Scholarship is no different than awarding a walk-on with a scholly after he has been there a couple of years. You still have to stay under the 85 total.

Here's a couple of examples of Bryant Scholarship recipients that had no bearing on athletics. Joe Namth's daughter (at least one of them), and John Croyle's daughter attended Alabama on this scholly. They did not participate in football or any other sport as far as I know. Though I do believe JC's daughter was Homecoming Queen one year.

The thing that is unnerving about hearing of this Bryant scholarship is that is directly tied in to football.

If the guy is a Bryant era legacy, he is eligible for a scholarship.  That sounds more like an athletic scholarship than an academic one.  But, if these guys are walk-on caliber, its all a moot point, right?

134424[/snapback]

But its not. If it were directly tied to football...only football players would be eligible. All students are eligible. Like i said...many MANY more students who never play football benefit from it than those who do.

Actually Regan Croyle was on an athletic scholarship for Basketball. But you bring up a good example...Brodie isnt on the Bryant Scholly...hes on an athletic one.

Actually Regan Croyle was on an athletic scholarship for Basketball. But you bring up a good example...Brodie isnt on the Bryant Scholly...hes on an athletic one.

134438[/snapback]

Okay, so I missed on Reagan. But she was the HC queen one year right? :big:

Anyway do you guys really thing we'd get away with this if there was something shady or underhanded about this scholarship? Come on. Surely you'd have to agree with me that there would be no way we would.

Archived