Cleveland officer Michael Brelo found not guilty in fatal shooting of two people

I've defended cops up and down and sideways and will continue to do so 99% of the time. This was just too much even for me. Under the law, the judge was probably correct in finding him not guilty of voluntary manslaughter but there was no excuse for his reaction and behavior. Same goes for everyone involved.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of you guys that are vilifying these cops, are actually cops?

Is this supposed to mean anything? Shut down our argument?

Means about as much as some of these stupid replies by you whiny little libs.

Whoops!

Showing your belly button there Weegs. ;D

I've defended cops up and down and sideways and will continue to do so 99% of the time. This was just too much even for me. Under the law, the judge was probably correct in finding him not guilty of voluntary manslaughter but there was no excuse for his reaction and behavior. Same goes for everyone involved.

Well, it's just my opinion, but I suspect they are bringing a little too much of a military mind-set to the job.

And you don't have to be ex-military to do that.

Well, it's just my opinion, but I suspect they are bringing a little too much of a military mind-set to the job.

You could be right. I don't know what the deal is with some of these people.

Well, it's the sort of job that attracts the best of us as well as a lot of people with "issues", especially concerning authority.

A very knowledgeable friend of mine asserts that a great deal of what we're seeing is the result of veterans from the War on Terror coming home and entering law enforcement, and of course police work is a logical enough career choice for an ex military guy. Somehow, its just never drilled into their heads that their new domestic roles are fundamentally different from the old. As Madison said, the means of defense against foreign danger have been always the instruments of tyranny at home.

A very knowledgeable friend of mine asserts that a great deal of what we're seeing is the result of veterans from the War on Terror coming home and entering law enforcement, and of course police work is a logical enough career choice for an ex military guy. Somehow, its just never drilled into their heads that their new domestic roles are fundamentally different from the old. As Madison said, the means of defense against foreign danger have been always the instruments of tyranny at home.

Not knowing your friend, nor being particularly knowledgeable on the subject myself, I can't automatically agree with you. But neither can I disagree.

It's a possibility I had never considered, however, and it certainly warrants examination.

Love the Madison quote, by the way! :thumbsup:

Well it may be partially true but we've always had ex military go into police work. I think partially we're not doing enough to screen out the yahoos and others that don't fully understand what being a police officer means. More thorough psychological testing should be a part of the application and screening process. This guy did talk about his Marine training kicking in talking about why he got up on the hood of the car so there is an element of that in there.

Well it may be partially true but we've always had ex military go into police work. I think partially we're not doing enough to screen out the yahoos and others that don't fully understand what being a police officer means. More thorough psychological testing should be a part of the application and screening process. This guy did talk about his Marine training kicking in talking about why he got up on the hood of the car so there is an element of that in there.

That's what I said in a post on one of these police cases. People always say they agree with the police as if every policeman has impeccable character. Some people want and get into that profession for the wrong reasons.

And LMAO at the how many of you are policemen quote.

Btw I've seen the quotes from everyone about how this was wrong and of course the if you don't run you don't die posts. But what about being found not guilty? What about the justice c aspect of it?

Btw I've seen the quotes from everyone about how this was wrong and of course the if you don't run you don't die posts. But what about being found not guilty? What about the justice c aspect of it?

Well as to that, it appears to me that the judge really had no choice in the matter. There simply wasn't any way to prove that this guy fired the fatal shots. When one person is hit 23 and the other 24 times, how are you going to determine which one was the fatal one? He probably could have been convicted of one of the other lesser charges.

So, as far as we know, this guy is going to resume his job as a cop?

That's just not right.

Well there are a lot of things that aren't right in this world. I don' t know what the department will or won't do. There are still possible civil rights charges so he's not done yet.

So, as far as we know, this guy is going to resume his job as a cop?

That's just not right.

Speaking from my own experience, he's not quite out of the woods yet, not as far as employment goes. Its likely that the exectuors of the estates will file a civil suit. Settlement terms or plaintiff demands could very well include termination of Mr. Brelo.

He's angling for the Courtier's Reply.

You'll get used to this sort of thing if you argue with Weegs long enough.

Courtier's Reply ;D . Good one Ben. Or is it?

I would add that none of us likely know how we'd react after a 22 mile chase at speeds in excess of 120 mph. We can laugh or scoff at the notion that we'd not react in a like manor to Brelo, but that would be an ignorant statement or thought unless we've had that real life experience. So, in some respects, Weegs statement rings true. Hate that for you so quick to judge types. (you know who you are) ;)

I would add that none of us likely know how we'd react after a 22 mile chase at speeds in excess of 120 mph. We can laugh or scoff at the notion that we'd not react in a like manor to Brelo, but that would be an ignorant statement or thought unless we've had that real life experience. So, in some respects, Weegs statement rings true. Hate that for you so quick to judge types. (you know who you are) ;)

After a 22 mile chase at speeds in excess of 120 mph, would you jump on the hood of your son or daughter's car and fire 15 rounds into the vehicle?

It is. It's like saying the the child in the Emperor Has No Clothes needs to study haute couture before he can properly discuss whether the emperor is naked.

I know cops that have gone into the military and soldiers that have gone into law enforcement. Been happening forever, so this is not a new phenomenon. I do think more screening/psychological testing would be of benefit.

Never been a Marine, but can't imagine jumping on a hood firing 15 shots as part of that training. I could be wrong and would certainly like for one of current soldiers to elaborate if possible.

After a 22 mile chase at speeds in excess of 120 mph, would you jump on the hood of your son or daughter's car and fire 15 rounds into the vehicle?

First, I wasn't aware the deceased were his son and/or daughter? Secondly, my point was if you've not experienced this scenario how can you arrive at confident conclusion with regards to your actions? You simply can't and any statement indicating otherwise would be deemed ignorant.

It is. It's like saying the the child in the Emperor Has No Clothes needs to study haute couture before he can properly discuss whether the emperor is naked.

So you ar

So you are prepared to intelligently discuss the effects a 22 mile chase at speeds of 120 mph has on the body or psyche?

Headed to the gym. Likely a few LEO's there and I will try to obtain their thoughts. Chat back in a couple hours........

First, I wasn't aware the deceased were his son and/or daughter? Secondly, my point was if you've not experienced this scenario how can you arrive at confident conclusion with regards to your actions? You simply can't and any statement indicating otherwise would be deemed ignorant.

When you think of the people you swore to protect as animals, you'll treat them as such.

So you ar

So you are prepared to intelligently discuss the effects a 22 mile chase at speeds of 120 mph has on the body or psyche?

These are the kinds of things that they are supposed to be trained to deal with. If they're not, then they should be.

No, I cannot say with certainty what I would do after a 22 mile chase at speeds over 120 mph. But I do not think such a chase would be sufficient justification in a court of law to defend myself for killing someone at the end of the chase.

Neither am I a law enforcement officer, nor have I had any training in that field. But as a taxpayer, I have every right to expect the police I pay for to act professionally, to not react in panic, and to demonstrate good judgement in the performance of their duties.

I also have the right to express my opinion of their actions. My opinion could well be wrong, but I certainly do not have to be a trained LEO to express it. In this case, my opinion is the police acted rashly, unprofessionally, and wrongly in the shooting. However, it is also my opinion that there are many fine law enforcement officers in this country, indeed in Cleveland, who do act professionally, bravely, and meritoriously while putting their lives on the line every day protecting me, for which I am grateful!

Courtier's Reply ;D/> . Good one Ben. Or is it?

I would add that none of us likely know how we'd react after a 22 mile chase at speeds in excess of 120 mph. We can laugh or scoff at the notion that we'd not react in a like manor to Brelo, but that would be an ignorant statement or thought unless we've had that real life experience. So, in some respects, Weegs statement rings true. Hate that for you so quick to judge types. (you know who you are) ;)/>

Dead on. And that's what kills me about these people. They want to sit in their comfy wittle chairs and pass judgment on guys who don't know if they will come home to their families. These people are the ones who would probably cower in the corner and hide behind their wives if danger came calling. It's easy to pass judgment when you are typing on a computer going on only the stories you read on the internet.

Archived