Move Nathan Bedford Forrests's Body?

One key point is to judge people in the past by todays standards is totally unfair. Slavery has been in existence almost from the beginning of time. As one poster said slaves were sold world wide and they were not just black slaves. Bedford Forrest was a man of his time and as such acted as a man of his times. The American slave trade involved many people originally they were legal in both North and South. People involved in the Slave Trade might be Northern Traders, Arab Traders from North Africa, Other Blacks both buying selling and capturing slaves, southern plantation owners, etc. While the North gave it up first it was a combination of things many religious groups disapproved of Slavery(In the north and South by the way), but there was also an economic reason The North did not have the growing season and the types of crops that allowed a plantation type environment. In Northern factories it was cheaper to pay immigrants extremely low wages provide no housing or company housing so the workman was beholden to the company and to make people work extremely long hours and to allow child labor. In the US history has forgotten all the other groups involved in the slave trade the other blacks, the Arabs, we also seem to have forgotten that even after slavery was abolished in the US that it was not abolished in many African and Arab countries and that it still occurs in some of those areas to this day.

In the North you would see signs no dogs or Irish allowed. My point is that the living conditions in the North were often as bad as the slaves in the South. The difference was and it is a huge difference was the person in the North was not owned by another human being. I am not defending the slave trade as it was and is an abhorrent act. I am also not defending Bedford Forrest or the Confederate Flag what I am saying it is to easy to take things out of context when we make judgements. In the article it mentioned it mentioned that Bedford Forrest did not found the KKK but was it's first Grand Wizard. It also stated that over time he realized the direction the KKK was going and repudiated it. At that time in the South for him to repudiate the KKK and step away from it was courageous step.

Change does not happen overnight it usually starts as baby steps that eventually leads to ever faster steps and hopefully to remarkable turn around. I have lived long enough to have seen good people do bad things because of the times they lived in. White only restaurants, water Fountains, etc. I have seen many of those same people slowly change over time. I am not naïve while Racial conditions have improved there are still ism's out there racism, Religionism, Povertyism, etc. I totally understand why a black man or woman would look on the confederate flag as a symbol of their oppression and would want it removed from things like state buildings. I also can see why some people look on the confederate Flag as a symbol of the South's fight for States Right's, individualism, etc. and have a different outlook on the flag.

Because of the hurt the Flag has towards one group I applaud the removal of it from Government entities like SC Statehouse, etc. What scares me though we can't learn from our history if we try to remove our history instead of studying our history. Also history can't be looked at only through today glasses only it must have context to its time. Hopefully no American today can look at Slavery or segregation and be happy about it but they also need to realize that times change and even good people do bad things to fit in the society of their time.

By todays standards Thomas Jefferson was Simon Legree he was a Land Owner and a Slave owner. Yet when writing the Declaration of Independence he basically initially tried to abolish slavery then had to compromise to get the Colonies to approve the Declaration. He also had slaves but eventually freed them before he died. For a Southern gentleman of his era he was a radical left wing liberal. Times change and you have to judge people with your own views and experience and with the judgment to look at them in the context of their times.

:starorange: :starorange: :starorange: :starorange:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might be past this already...

But is anyone of the opinion that it's completely cool to let the people and/or the peoples elected officials do what they will?

The flag coming down has nothing to do with 9 souls lost at the hands of a hate monger. The flag is merely an opportunity made in the middle of a "crisis". I disagree on the notion that you can pick and choose on the issue. The United States and the people in this country should spend all their efforts on what is in front of us and not what is behind us. Instead we live in the past and act as if the future is going to be put on hold while we do it.

Well then you operate under a set of rules that hardly anyone else does in anything else in their life. I've never met anyone who would so simplistically equate two situations like this.

The flag was something that never should have flown on state property to begin with. If the people who wanted it removed had gotten what was right back when the compromise was formed, it wouldn't have stayed anywhere on the property. The killings merely reopened the issue because of the appropriation of the CF by the murderer. But it didn't just appear out of nowhere, nor was it borne of being "PC." It came from people who long felt it was an inappropriate thing to fly on public/government property that felt the killings were merely the final straw for any lingering defense of the symbol and spoke up about it.

I KNOW I have clearly stated that the flag shouldn't have been there in the first place. My point is much broader than the simplistic mindset you ascribe to me. I'm clearly stating that the flag would still be flying tomorrow afternoon and beyond if not for some loon nut job racist. Prove otherwise.

Well, your point about how the US and Britain should be regarded in the same manner as the CSA because both had slavery is still overly simplistic.

But I know you weren't advocating for the flag to still be there. But I also contend that it didn't come down due to "one thing only", that thing being "PC." It came down because the killing by a racist who appropriated the flag was the thing that finally caused the eyes of those who had defended it for too long to be opened. It set a stark and unmistakable contrast in front of people. And continuing to fly it in the wake of those killings came to rightly be seen as an enduring insult to the lives that were lost.

That's not being "politically correct", it's just finally being "correct."

This is all about libs playing on emotions of the sheeple. That is all.......

Cities that lack money choose to spend it this way?

if they have money for this why not dig up all the old southern democrats office holders and move them too. being a member of the KKK was pretty standard for that party so any of their deceased office holders would be candidates for relocation. Exaulted Cyclops Robert Byrd would be easy to move as he hasnt been dead long

Cities that lack money choose to spend it this way?

if they have money for this why not dig up all the old southern democrats office holders and move them too. being a member of the KKK was pretty standard for that party so any of their deceased office holders would be candidates for relocation. Exaulted Cyclops Robert Byrd would be easy to move as he hasnt been dead long

How many of those old southern democrats have their own park?

we'll probably find out soon. current democrat office holders are looking for causes to take up rather than deal with real problems.

Timah-- exhibit A as to why the old Confederacy has lingered so long.

Timah-- exhibit A as to why the old Confederacy has lingered so long.

Because libs LIE to the sheeple? Correct. We agree

MY TAKE is that the flag should never have been placed on top of the statehouse to begin with. BUT...."IF" we as a society can pick and choose whose "heritage' to go after for PC purposes we need to be fair and equitable. There's no sugarcoating it. The union allowed slavery for 77 years as a nation and the Europeans allowed it well before that....including thousands of white slaves.

And I'm trying to explain to you why that sort of simplistic distillation of the situations is a false equivalency. The South's legacy would be different too had they renounced and abolished slavery without resorting to war or even if they had gone to war and somehow won, if shortly thereafter they would have abolished slavery of their own accord. They did neither. The United States (minus the Confederacy) did. Great Britain did. Various other European countries did. That matters.

This whole flag thing is about 1 thing and 1 thing only......PC. Nothing has changed with it coming down.....in fact it might have reopened some wounds in the process.

Well, I disagree about that too. There are way to many people who have no love for PC anything that felt that thing needed to go to buy that it's "about 1 thing only."

The flag coming down has nothing to do with 9 souls lost at the hands of a hate monger. The flag is merely an opportunity made in the middle of a "crisis". I disagree on the notion that you can pick and choose on the issue. The United States and the people in this country should spend all their efforts on what is in front of us and not what is behind us. Instead we live in the past and act as if the future is going to be put on hold while we do it.

You don't get it. We understand that. Your first sentence reveals it. As does the second. And actually the third

Aw hell, pretty much the whole post illustrates you don't get it. I'd give you a response sentence by sentence if you demand, but why waste our time?

MY TAKE is that the flag should never have been placed on top of the statehouse to begin with. BUT...."IF" we as a society can pick and choose whose "heritage' to go after for PC purposes we need to be fair and equitable. There's no sugarcoating it. The union allowed slavery for 77 years as a nation and the Europeans allowed it well before that....including thousands of white slaves.

And I'm trying to explain to you why that sort of simplistic distillation of the situations is a false equivalency. The South's legacy would be different too had they renounced and abolished slavery without resorting to war or even if they had gone to war and somehow won, if shortly thereafter they would have abolished slavery of their own accord. They did neither. The United States (minus the Confederacy) did. Great Britain did. Various other European countries did. That matters.

This whole flag thing is about 1 thing and 1 thing only......PC. Nothing has changed with it coming down.....in fact it might have reopened some wounds in the process.

Well, I disagree about that too. There are way to many people who have no love for PC anything that felt that thing needed to go to buy that it's "about 1 thing only."

You don't get it. We understand that. Your first sentence reveals it. As does the second. And actually the third

Aw hell, pretty much the whole post illustrates you don't get it. I'd give you a response sentence by sentence if you demand, but why waste our time?

But when are we going to ban golds gym???!!!!

Well then you operate under a set of rules that hardly anyone else does in anything else in their life. I've never met anyone who would so simplistically equate two situations like this.

The flag was something that never should have flown on state property to begin with. If the people who wanted it removed had gotten what was right back when the compromise was formed, it wouldn't have stayed anywhere on the property. The killings merely reopened the issue because of the appropriation of the CF by the murderer. But it didn't just appear out of nowhere, nor was it borne of being "PC." It came from people who long felt it was an inappropriate thing to fly on public/government property that felt the killings were merely the final straw for any lingering defense of the symbol and spoke up about it.

I KNOW I have clearly stated that the flag shouldn't have been there in the first place. My point is much broader than the simplistic mindset you ascribe to me. I'm clearly stating that the flag would still be flying tomorrow afternoon and beyond if not for some loon nut job racist. Prove otherwise.

Well, your point about how the US and Britain should be regarded in the same manner as the CSA because both had slavery is still overly simplistic.

But I know you weren't advocating for the flag to still be there. But I also contend that it didn't come down due to "one thing only", that thing being "PC." It came down because the killing by a racist who appropriated the flag was the thing that finally caused the eyes of those who had defended it for too long to be opened. It set a stark and unmistakable contrast in front of people. And continuing to fly it in the wake of those killings came to rightly be seen as an enduring insult to the lives that were lost.

That's not being "politically correct", it's just finally being "correct."

Well stated.

Another gem from War Timmy's treasure chest of wisdom and insight.... :-\

That sounds like a little rhetorical yip! from EMT's lap dog instead of a real question, so I'll ignore it.

Maxx Fitness won the Gym Wars of the early 2000's. They now oppress America with fungus filled showers and broken, unusable, equipment while charging yearly maintenance taxes that are just pocketed.

That sounds like a little rhetorical yip! from EMT's lap dog instead of a real question, so I'll ignore it.

We seriously have to get our humor on the same page.... or at least in the same book :)

We seriously have to get our humor on the same page.... or at least in the same book :)

POE'S LAW - Without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.

POE'S LAW - Without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.

Tard kid kills innocents, tard kid at some point in his life wore a certain shirt. Tard logic states that tard kid only took said actions because of that shirt being on his body.

Super cereal guys.

Tard kid kills innocents, tard kid at some point in his life wore a certain shirt. Tard logic states that tard kid only took said actions because of that shirt being on his body.

Super cereal guys.

Actually that still wasn't clear enough by your posts rules.

I DO NOT BELIEVE GOLDS GYM IS A CORPORATION THAT TRAINS TERRORISTS TO SLAUGHTER INNOCENT PEOPLE IN CHURCH!

There we go.

Hopefully we are all clear now. I can try to make it more obvious if you still do not understand.

People present ridiculous arguments in all seriousness like that fairly frequently. Welcome to the Internet. :laugh:

People present ridiculous arguments in all seriousness like that fairly frequently. Welcome to the Internet. :laugh:

I know it's low compared to some, but I would think 770 posts would be enough to know I wasn't serious.... maybe 771...... I dunno.

+ Global warming is a myth, some guy who won a nobel prize once for lawn care told me so.

Super cereal guys.

Actually that still wasn't clear enough by your posts rules.

I DO NOT BELIEVE GOLDS GYM IS A CORPORATION THAT TRAINS TERRORISTS TO SLAUGHTER INNOCENT PEOPLE IN CHURCH!

There we go.

Hopefully we are all clear now. I can try to make it more obvious if you still do not understand.

With all due respect you are a newbie here. You don't have enough of a reputation for anyone to judge whether or not you are being sarcastic on a given post.

And you are not helping your cause.

Gen. Forrest would be proud of you guys :big:

:Sing:

I don't get it? :clap::punk::big::nanner:

I don't get it? :clap::punk::big::nanner:

Nope.

Gen. Forrest would be proud of you guys :big:/>

:Sing:/>

Not of me he wouldn't. He's turning in his grave....And I'm good with that lol

Archived