Move Nathan Bedford Forrests's Body?

He made millions off of the slave trade and agriculture. I have to side with the "leftistas" or whatever.

And the obvious one, he founded the KKK.

Well, helped found and was its first Grand Wizard.

I did not know that. Wow

I think Forrest Gump taught me that.

Does that mean Nathan Bedford "Forrest" Gump?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He made millions off of the slave trade and agriculture. I have to side with the "leftistas" or whatever.

And the obvious one, he founded the KKK.

Well, helped found and was its first Grand Wizard.

I did not know that. Wow

I think Forrest Gump taught me that.

Does that mean Nathan Bedford "Forrest" Gump?

Ayuh.

He begins telling his life story to strangers who sit next to him on the bench beginning with himself being named for a relative, Nathan Bedford Forrest...

I read somewhere, in reliable literature, that some years after the war ended a reporter asked Robert E. Lee who was the best soldier of the war. Reportedly, Lee's response was "That would be a man I've never met. General Nathan Bedford Forrest".

Emma Samson gained fame by showing Forrest a way across the river in Etowah County, thus thwarting a Union advance.

About moving graves, nobody in their right mind givers a rat's azz at this point in time. That war got over 150 years ago.

I read somewhere, in reliable literature, that some years after the war ended a reporter asked Robert E. Lee who was the best soldier of the war. Reportedly, Lee's response was "That would be a man I've never met. General Nathan Bedford Forrest".

Emma Samson gained fame by showing Forrest a way across the river in Etowah County, thus thwarting a Union advance.

About moving graves, nobody in their right mind givers a rat's azz at this point in time. That war got over 150 years ago.

Wonder why they bothered moving it in 1904. :rolleyes:

Wonder why they bothered moving it in 1904. :rolleyes:

Because they were stupid in 1904? One would hope we are smarter now, but apparently 111 years haven't educated us much.

Cities that lack money choose to spend it this way?

if they have money for this why not dig up all the old southern democrats office holders and move them too. being a member of the KKK was pretty standard for that party so any of their deceased office holders would be candidates for relocation. Exaulted Cyclops Robert Byrd would be easy to move as he hasnt been dead long

"Forrest tried to become a force for good in the South and even became supportive of the African-Americans with whom he dealt, to the extent that hundreds honored him at his funeral when he died of advanced diabetes in 1877."

That true?

if they have money for this why not dig up all the old southern democrats office holders and move them too. being a member of the KKK was pretty standard for that party so any of their deceased office holders would be candidates for relocation. Exaulted Cyclops Robert Byrd would be easy to move as he hasnt been dead long

How many of those old southern democrats have their own park?

"Forrest tried to become a force for good in the South and even became supportive of the African-Americans with whom he dealt, to the extent that hundreds honored him at his funeral when he died of advanced diabetes in 1877."

That true?

After only a year as Grand Wizard, in January 1869, faced with an ungovernable membership employing methods that seemed increasingly counterproductive, Forrest issued KKK General Order Number One: "It is therefore ordered and decreed, that the masks and costumes of this Order be entirely abolished and destroyed." By the end of his life, Forrest's racial attitudes would evolve — in 1875, he advocated for the admission of blacks into law school — and he lived to fully renounce his involvement with the all-but-vanished Klan.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/palmsprings_200801A41.html

He was awesome. Last paragraph ruined everything for me though.

This one was pretty rough too:

The following spring, in April 1864, Forrest and his men were involved in one of the most controversial episodes of the Civil War. After surrounding Fort Pillow, near Memphis, Forrest demanded the surrender of the garrison, which included 262 soldiers of the U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery. When the Union forces refused, Forrest’s men easily overran the fort. Then, according to several eyewitness accounts, the Confederates, enraged by the sight of black men in Federal uniform, executed many of the colored troops after they had surrendered: an unambiguous war crime. Though accounts varied, the incident stands as one of the most gruesome of the Civil War era; “Remember Fort Pillow” became a rallying-cry for African-American soldiers throughout the Union Army.

That true?

After only a year as Grand Wizard, in January 1869, faced with an ungovernable membership employing methods that seemed increasingly counterproductive, Forrest issued KKK General Order Number One: "It is therefore ordered and decreed, that the masks and costumes of this Order be entirely abolished and destroyed." By the end of his life, Forrest's racial attitudes would evolve — in 1875, he advocated for the admission of blacks into law school — and he lived to fully renounce his involvement with the all-but-vanished Klan.

http://www.pbs.org/w..._200801A41.html

This is interesting. If they chose not to move him back to the original cemetery, maybe they could put up a large plaque detailing not only his involvement in the KKK and his actions at Fort Pillow, but his later disbanding of the KKK and his evolving attitudes on racial matters.

It doesn't mitigate the Ft. Pillow actions though.

Though I

While we are at it, let's take care of any issues up North. Let's put this puppy to bed once and for all......shared "sacrifice", if you will.

http://slavenorth.com/

While we are at it, let's take care of any issues up North. Let's put this puppy to bed once and for all......shared "sacrifice", if you will.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. The chart at the bottom shows the actual end of slavery in those northern states ranging from 1777 to 1865 (New Jersey). The next closest was 1848 (Connecticut), 13 years before the Civil War began. And they gave it up on their own - they didn't have to be invaded and forced to give it up.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. The chart at the bottom shows the actual end of slavery in those northern states ranging from 1777 to 1865 (New Jersey). The next closest was 1848 (Connecticut), 13 years before the Civil War began. And they gave it up on their own - they didn't have to be invaded and forced to give it up.

Tu Quoque with a non-sequitur.

Sin is sin....you can't just turn a blind eye to what happened with one group in relation to another. Just as I posted yesterday about the forgotten Irish slave trade....people just like to selectively attack one group or another these days based on what happened a generation or more ago instead of focusing on the future.

So, if we are going to continue down this road.....let's get it all out of the way in a fair and equitable manner. Whitewash it all!

Sin is sin....you can't just turn a blind eye to what happened with one group in relation to another. Just as I posted yesterday about the forgotten Irish slave trade....people just like to selectively attack one group or another these days based on what happened a generation or more ago instead of focusing on the future.

So, if we are going to continue down this road.....let's get it all out of the way in a fair and equitable manner. Whitewash it all!

You can not equate the two. You can try but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Irish Slavery, northern slavery, none of it equates to slavery in the south and, the 100+ years of segregation and institutionalized racism.

That's not the point. There's a qualitative difference in situations where someone is doing something wrong, realizes it and amends their ways because it's the right thing to do vs. someone doing something wrong, defending it and wishing to propagate it further, and only giving it up after being forced to.

Back to OP topic...

Anyone, regardless of how you feel about the would have been confederacy find it weird to want to dig up 140ish year old corpses and move them around?

In 1904 it was weird and creepy, but most people look at America from 100+ years ago as being awkward anyways.

Back to OP topic...

Anyone, regardless of how you feel about the would have been confederacy find it weird to want to dig up 140ish year old corpses and move them around?

In 1904 it was weird and creepy, but most people look at America from 100+ years ago as being awkward anyways.

Dead bodies. Meh. Not like there are ghosts being stirred up. He was moved from his original burial place. Put him back there. Simple.

You pointed out a guy who was racist. Therefore his reflex is to say yeah well look at this...that's all needed to understand

Digging him up for what? What would be the purpose?

To remove him from public land and remove a monument to him, and put his remains back in the original graveyard that he was buried in.

Definitely remove the monument as far as the remains?? Use that money and send a black kid to college, that would piss him off.

Maybe one of you morbid type people will know... what's left of this dude and his wife after being in the ground for 140 years?

Definitely remove the monument as far as the remains?? Use that money and send a black kid to college, that would piss him off.

He actually advocated that apparently... send a northern kid to college, now that would piss him off:)

Archived