McCready: Shula Honeymoon Over!

DKW 86

Ahh, but don't forget, Shula can probably survive an extra year by cleaning house and throwing his assistants to the wolves after 2005!

Unless, of course, the Powers That Be already have someone like Butch Davis in their sights... And there is one train of thought that says the PTB hired Shula as a temp all along, just to get through probabtion.

I've lived in Michigan for five years now, and one thing I've learned is that mid-westerners really don't understand the intensity of southern rivalries. I really honestly believe that the Minn. band played rocky top because they didn't know better. To them, as midwesterners, it probably seemed like a nice tribute to the local folks in Nahsville, and to them, a way of saying that they enjoyed their trip to Tennessee. We came to Tennessee and it isn't it a big adventure to come here and win, we love this southern hospitality. I honestly don't think they had any idea of how badly it would rub uat fans. I think it is hilarious though myself.

I really honestly believe that the Minn. band played rocky top because they didn't know better.

No way...that was well planned. They would've had to practice that to play it. I mean, you don't think they just knew it off the top of their heads do you? It was a blatant dig at uat...not that I feel the least bit sorry for uat after all the "rammar bammar yellar hammars" that uat has taken part in over the years.

Give credit where credit is due...they planned that from the beginning. :yes:

I think Minnesota playing Rocky Top is freakin' hilarious. That's almost as bad as playing War Eagle.

135143[/snapback]

They may have....no one knows what it sounds like

I really honestly believe that the Minn. band played rocky top because they didn't know better.

No way...that was well planned. They would've had to practice that to play it. I mean, you don't think they just knew it off the top of their heads do you? It was a blatant dig at uat...not that I feel the least bit sorry for uat after all the "rammar bammar yellar hammars" that uat has taken part in over the years.

Give credit where credit is due...they planned that from the beginning. :yes:

135493[/snapback]

Well, of course, they practiced it...

I think d-r's point is that they may have practiced and played it simply as a tribute/thank-you to their host state for the bowl game, not as a slap at Bama. I wouldn't necessarily conclude that the Bama-UT feud is a big news item in Minnesota.

Sure it's possible that it was intented as an anti-Bama slam, but given that there is also an innocent possiblity, I'll let MN have the benefit of the doubt until hard evidence (like band members' statements) proves otherwise.

AuNuma makes a valid point about the "Rammar Jammar", pot/kettle=black angle, though.

Well, of course, they practiced it...

I think d-r's point is that they may have practiced and played it simply as a  tribute/thank-you to their host state for the bowl game, not as a slap at Bama.  I wouldn't necessarily conclude that the Bama-UT feud is a big news item in Minnesota. 

I agree with quietfan. I think this just turned out to be one of those wonderful, hilarious ironies that we are treated to from time to time. :D

Archived