McCready: Shula Honeymoon Over!

DKW 86

McCready Commentary

Shula's honeymoon has ended

Saturday, January 01, 2005

NASHVILLE -- It shouldn't take Mike Shula very long to list his New Year's resolutions today.

1. Win more games.

2. See No. 1.

The Alabama coach wrapped up his second season at the helm on Friday afternoon with a 20-16 loss to Minnesota in front of a record crowd at the Music City Bowl.

For those keeping count, and most of the 40,000 or so Alabama fans in Nashville Friday as well as the rest of the Crimson Tide nation are, Shula is now 10-15 in two seasons at his alma mater. He's yet to finish a season with more wins than losses. Neither of those facts are part of the recipe for a long tenure in Tuscaloosa.

Alabama fans filed out of The Coliseum as the Minnesota band blasted "Rocky Top" from their trumpets, trombones and such. A couple of nearby Bama fans expressed their feeling to the Minnesota revelers with a hand gesture and it wasn't "You're No. 1." :roflol::roflol: :roflol:

That animosity toward the Gophers' band won't last. If Shula doesn't start winning, however, it's going to be directed at him.

Shula isn't on the hot seat at Alabama nor should he be. He inherited a probation-stricken program and didn't have the benefit of a spring training to install his philosophies. That lack of depth has been a major hindrance in the past two seasons, when injuries have piled up at critical positions and forced inexperienced -- and in some cases, moderately talented -- players into games that would have been difficult to win had the Tide been at full strength.

Still, Shula's homecoming honeymoon is over. After two full seasons on the job, Alabama's list of victories is less than impressive. The Tide has beaten South Florida, Southern Mississippi (twice), Kentucky (twice), Mississippi State (twice), Utah State, Mississippi and Western Carolina. Conspicuously missing from that list are Auburn, Tennessee, LSU and Arkansas. Some would argue that Shula hasn't won a single meaningful game yet, a stance that would be difficult to dispute.

Starting in September, even though the same elements that have hurt Alabama in recent years will still apply, Shula is going to be held to a higher standard. All season, Shula, his assistants and players have talked about how close the Tide was to breaking through in a big game. There was a missed call at LSU, a costly fumble at Tennessee, wasted opportunities in the red zone against Auburn and an overthrown fly route Friday against Minnesota that would have given Alabama a fourth-quarter lead.

Close doesn't count at a program such as Alabama. Programs with Alabama's tradition and history don't have a column in the program for moral victories. "Well, the boys played hard," satisfies the fans at Southeastern Conference cellar-dwellers such as Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi and Mississippi State, but it doesn't and shouldn't cut it at Alabama.

Shula got a first-year pass because of his Alabama roots. He got a second-year pass because a weak schedule allowed for six wins -- of the Tide's victims, only Southern Miss reached a bowl game -- and injuries to Brodie Croyle and Ray Hudson crippled an offense that looked promising in early September. There won't be a valid excuse for another non-winning season in 2005. If the wins don't start to come, job insecurity will. It's as simple as that.

Shula needed a win on Friday in the worst way. Instead, his team was fortunate that it wasn't embarrassed. Minnesota won both lines of scrimmage for the better part of three quarters and squandered a couple of early scoring chances that could have made for an ugly afternoon.

To their credit, Shula and his staff have shown that they are solid-if-not-spectacular recruiters. One year after winning the in-state recruiting war against Auburn, Shula has made up for in-state losses with surprising pick-ups outside of the Heart of Dixie. Landing prospects such as Chris Keys will satisfy the die-hards during the next month and spring and summer will bring the annual dose of hype and hope.

Shula will hit the recruiting trail soon. He's already begun preparing for next season. He might better take a brief break today and recognize some New Year's superstitions, eat some black-eyed peas or cabbage or turnip greens or whatever for good luck and health.

He needs whatever help he can get. Soon, the wins have to come. Or else.

That's pretty much what I thought...like I said, I saw nothing note-worthy about uat's performance against the gophers. If not for some blatant dropped passes by the gophers, the game would've been a rout...

Shula will be on the hot seat if he doesn't go at least 7-4 with a bowl win meaning 8 wins.

Or he can go 8-3 and lose the bowl to finish 8-4

Plus it would help if Brodie stayed healthy along with everyone else

They will beat Ole Miss, Miss. St,Arkansas,and Middle Tennessee. Do they play Kentucky next season?

They took Southern Miss off the schedule. Who else does Bama play in non-conference

Losing to AU three years in a row will not imbelish him toward the fans or UAT officials, regardless of his record. Next year may be the year that determines if he is to survive and his last game at Jordan Hare East may be the biggest game of his brief head coaching stint. :au:

The article implies that Mike Shula is a great recruiter... I think thats a little bit premature. I don't believe he's been at bammer long enough for someone to make that kind of statement. He has signed a lot of players, but a lot of them went to either JUCO or Prep school or greyshirted. Also it seems like he has done well at signing some family members too but then again, I could've signed those guys... Britts and Castilles... As for this year, maybe this class will be a great one, who knows... I don't think i would want Keys due to his past drug troubles... but Shula may not mind having to deal with those issues (ie.. Ray Hudson). Come to think about it... not sure why any great football player would want to go to Tuscaloosa right now... unless they are Tide fans or family. If I was a Tider I would have a concern about the teams conditioning. They have suffered an enormous amount of injuries this year. Think about it (All the QBs, all the RBs, the TE's, even Wes Britt) I've followed football for nearly 40 years and cannot remember any team falling apart physically like Bammer did this year. Shula may turn out to be the next Bar :thumbsdown: ... but I don't think the bammer nation will be patient enough for him to continue his on the job training.

The ONLY reason he got the job is because they couldn't find ANYONE else that would actually TAKE the job as HC in loserville.

He will not last two more years...It's a lock...count on it.

p.s. It would thrill me if he got a twenty year contract. :big:

I was at the game & the rocky top was quite hilarious.

The play calling for both teamsd was horrible. Bama was 0 for 11 on third downs.

Every time Sota ran the balldown the field & got inside the 20, they started passing.

It was worth the $10 bucks I paid for the ticket, but not a cent more.

Refresh my memory, isn't mcCready the guy we were all pissed off with a few days ago because ofhis article about TT being interested in the LSU job. The guy is a jerk so don't go sniffing his do-do beecause he is now writing negative stuff about Shula.

Rocky Top?  Man, that's cold.

135114[/snapback]

If they had played "War Eagle" a fight night have broken out... but that lady holds the copywrite so I guess they didn't want to pay her to play it.

I remember when FSU's band played "Rocky Top" after we lost to them in 1989 in Tallahassee...that's what prompted our playing of the chop the following year after we beat them.

Third-party smack is weak, period.

Back on topic, I agree that Shula's grace period, such that it is over there, is over...starting next year, he will be judged on a much stricter scale than he was previously.

I think he will get to keep his job. I think they will have a good season till they come to the plains. They will also probably lose to UT too. I see them beating LSU since they will be under new coach.

I think he keeps his job and goes 8-3.

I caught a bit of the Finebaum show yesterday after the MCB and Paul brought up an interesting point.

If Butch Davis doesn't wind up taking a HC job this year and sits out like it is rumored he will do - it could turn up the heat on Shula to win. If Shula doesn't get a signature win or two next year, some of the PTB may look to reel in Davis and throw Shula back.

I dont know whether to blame him or his "staff" but when you call THREE STRAIGHT SAME PLAYS (a run up the middle) and your 10-20 yards away from scoring against the #3 team in the land.....Your just god awful at what you do, plain and simple.

"Hey guys, we ran 2 times in the same place...THEY WILL NEVER GUESS THREE TIMES IN THE SAME PLACE!!!"

wow

i have a hard time buying that these guys are going to turn into world beaters from this season to next. they are still going to be dangerously thin at basically every position of the field, and players are going to be asked to play a lot of snaps with those short rotations. that's just begging for injuries so i won't be shocked if guys get hurt (although they should avoid the freak non-contact injuries i would think).

next year's schedule is no joke for bama either. they start off with two wins (middle tenn. and southern who never beats bama) then they have to go to columbia to see the ole ball coach, back home for arkansas and florida. they'll be doing good to get out of the first half at 3-2. then you go to oxford (i think ole miss actually hired a man with a mental defect... i mean asking grown men to call you "coach o"?? it's okay for the players, but the media??? i'm not sure all the screws are tightened on that guy) for a win, take the annual lose to tennessee, get a win over utah state, and close out the year with msu, lsu, and auburn and two are on the road. on the sunny side i gotcha at 5-3 going into that, lose to state (possible in starkville) and you lose 'em all. more likely? you go 1-2 and enjoy a trip to the independence bowl. i dunno that that'll be enough for him to stick around.

I bet that Gulion QB but I doubt it! Pennington will probably and Gulion will be 2nd string but if both Pennington and Gulion gets hurt Bama is going to have to pull out some True Freshman to be QB and throw 3 picks before the game is over! :nopity:

Alabama played like crap. The gophers beat us like a drum. I totally agree now that Alabama's defense is over rated. Giving up 300 yds rushing is totally un-called for. Alabama's O has made an art of "3 plays and a cloud of dust." The first half was terrible for Bama. The second half they actually played a little better defense. Overall, I would rate this game an F. Hopefully things will get better for my team next year.

BTW

AU, OU, and USC could beat each other on any given day. The BCS needs to go, we need a playoff system.

I bet that Gulion QB but I doubt it! Pennington will probably and Gulion will be 2nd string but if both Pennington and Gulion gets hurt Bama is going to have to pull out some True Freshman to be QB and throw 3 picks before the game is over!  :nopity:

135329[/snapback]

Nothing about your post...but how do you figure your the true champions of the SEC? lol :)

When Brodie is gone, who will be the QB? Pennington, or are they recruiting a superstar?

135322[/snapback]

John Parker Wilson is the heir apparent, AKA Tyler Watts.

Archived