2015 Preseason Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cole, that's exactly what multiple people on this thread claimed. Go back one page to see "I always liked Mason best." And "I was never a Dyer fan."

People are absolutely claiming they liked Mason more in 2011, which is revisionist history.

Ok bro I got you I wasn't on here back then I think. I don't think as far as me I ever even thought about it since dyer was the starter and he was effective. I just remember some of my biggest arguments that I know people looked at me crazy about that I always had somebody trying to argue with me about was me saying mason was a good back and wasn't just a spread back after the 2012 season. Jeremy Johnson was a future stud and was better than the other guys most of the board was talking about Bateman and Rettig or however you say his name kid signed with LSU (people calling him a system qb, questioning competition, bad fit, or the ever so famous I think the coaches know how to evaluate a player much better than you) and our o line wasn't as good as people were saying they were going to be too many new young players, I think that was 2012 as well when we opened up against Clemson.

So that's why I remember my thoughts on mason so well. But I agree I doubt too many was calling for a switch because dyer wasn't ever unproductive. Especially after that south Carolina game in 2011. Who was going to have a negative comment after that?

:dunno:/> well .... so much for the Day 3 practice report

You was expecting new info on day 3 on day 5? Cool!

Would love to hear your thoughts on it or any new information you can share.

ok... one thing

Just my take: but after listening to Barber he kept going back to remarks about playbook or pass blocking; it left me wondering if that's not the heart of his last year. That he seemed to seem to stress this over most everything else makes me wonder how heated this year's battle might really be?

You was expecting new info on day 3 on day 5? Cool!

No - But I surely didn't expected pages on Michael Dyer either

(edit: add - was just catching up)

Well back to Barber, I don't really understand the NFL predictions from what's done thus far, I think that's a little bit of sunshine pumping...just a little

ok... one thing

Just my take: but after listening to Barber he kept going back to remarks about playbook or pass blocking; it left me wondering if that's not the heart of his last year. That he seemed to seem to stress this over most everything else makes me wonder how heated this year's battle might really be?

Good point. That and other little clues suggest to me that they all offer enough physically that the "smartest" guy might be in the driver's seat come October?

Also, is it me or is Jovon Robinson the RB we're hearing the least out of/about? Is that at all meaningful at this point?

ok... one thing

Good point. That and other little clues suggest to me that they all offer enough physically that the "smartest" guy might be in the driver's seat come October?

Also, is it me or is Jovon Robinson the RB we're hearing the least out of/about? Is that at all meaningful at this point?

Believe we've been looking for 1st team -2nd team backs this early in practice and he may be more the bruiser for must get yards (3down back)... so he's likely not getting the love at the moment.

Well back to Barber, I don't really understand the NFL predictions from what's done thus far, I think that's a little bit of sunshine pumping...just a little

Yep, couple that with last year and it does make you wonder who's predictions ?

Cole, that's exactly what multiple people on this thread claimed. Go back one page to see "I always liked Mason best." And "I was never a Dyer fan."

People are absolutely claiming they liked Mason more in 2011, which is revisionist history.

I'm going out on a very small limb here and saying I am one of those people that supposedly liked Mason more. Please refresh your memory regarding my posts. I said I believed he could match the productivity of Dyer and that I loved his running style. No where did I say I thought at the time he was the better running back. I watched Mason's high school film and loved the north-south style I saw with cuts in between. You never saw him run parallel to the LOS or backwards. Of course in 2010 I thought Dyer was going to be our running back all three years he was here but I was not discounting Mason's ability.

Then in 2011, as you may recall, Mason was our kick returner along with those four carries a game you pointed out. His running style that year was extremely comparable to his high school film and I knew we had an awesome talent in him. Paired with that it seemed like Dyer didn't make the improvement a talent like him should have from year one to two. Let me remind you to look at Dyer's game film from LSU, UGA, and Bama that year. That is when I saw Mason really challenging him for reps in the future. So do not call me a liar because you didn't recognize what talent we had in Mason.

And I apologize to those trying to talk about preseason. I am very encouraged by our running backs this year and I feel like we have an amazing stable from which to chose.

Thought I read somebody earlier in the thread say that. I have an interesting question that you or may not want to discuss I think. If Barber had gone to ole miss is he their feature back right now?

Thought I read somebody earlier in the thread say that. I have an interesting question that you or may not want to discuss I think. If Barber had gone to ole miss is he their feature back right now?

this year? no idea. last year i don't think so.

it seems like freeze has leaned towards the quick, scat back type. That may have been necessity but could be philosophical?

it seems like freeze has leaned towards the quick, scat back type. That may have been necessity but could be philosophical?

Nah that was out of necessity. From what I've heard they have a bruiser type there now that can actually handle the carries. There's no way with Bo there the past three years that Freeze would've preferred forcing him to throw a heavy number of times per game over running the ball

He'd be their one. The guy we swapped for Barber is their projected starter this year (Jordan Wilkens).

He'd be their one. The guy we swapped for Barber is their projected starter this year (Jordan Wilkens).

I was never super pumped about Wilkens. Barber is a much better back.

Even my Ole Miss friends here in Jackson agree with you there.

Lots on this board were poopin their britches over him and I just never saw it. Let's just say I'm thrilled Barber is buried on our depth chart and not toting the rock for an already talented OM team. Their one glaring weakness is RB.

Lots on this board were poopin their britches over him and I just never saw it. Let's just say I'm thrilled Barber is buried on our depth chart and not toting the rock for an already talented OM team. Their one glaring weakness is RB.

I would take Barber over Wilkins 10/10. He's better in every conceivable way. The fact that Wilkins only saw time sparingly last year says it all.

I would take Barber over Wilkins 10/10. He's better in every conceivable way. The fact that Wilkins only saw time sparingly last year says it all.

Yep

But what have you all seen to say all of that?

Believe it or not, Barber has gotten touches in games and averages 5.4 ypc. I'm judging Wilkins off of his HS tape and the fact that he's struggled to see pt at a school with no talented RBs.

Wilkins got touches, and I never thought he looked like a guy that could crack our lineup. Still don't. No idea what Barber brings but I'd take the unknown over a known quantity that can't cut it.

Archived