2015 Preseason Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

I can get that but you also factor in if he was running behind our line and in our offense as well. I bet and it's just my opinion of course, but I bet that back from Tenn and even the fast back from Kentucky would put up excellent numbers in our offense. Also now that I think about it coaching could play a role as well. There are alot of variables to know a guy who hasn't played is better than a guy who has

Somewhere right now a guy on another team's board think his o lineman is better than Coleman or Smith and not only is he probably wrong it's probably not even close. When they talk about our secondary they may even think a player like Ford sucks and he's one of the most athletic safeties you'll find anywhere....

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure Wilkins got more carries against quality comp. But ok

So the fact that he got more carries at Ole Miss should mean something?

I can get that but you also factor in if he was running behind our line and in our offense as well. I bet and it's just my opinion of course, but I bet that back from Tenn and even the fast back from Kentucky would put up excellent numbers in our offense. Also now that I think about it coaching could play a role as well. There are alot of variables to know a guy who hasn't played is better than a guy who has

Going by this, there's no way to ever compare two players.

Well using your variables as one's high school tape and the other's 5.4 ypc against already defeated teams....no

You use the fact that ole miss isn't a program like ours for one guy but don't use the fact well that also means he's not surrounded by as talented players as the other. Then on top of that say one guys carries against miss st is nothing but our guys against and out matched team is....how does that work?

Well using your variables as one's high school tape and the other's 5.4 ypc against already defeated teams....no

You use the fact that ole miss isn't a program like ours for one guy but don't use the fact well that also means he's not surrounded by as talented players as the other. Then on top of that say one guys carries against miss st is nothing but our guys against and out matched team is....how does that work?

This ^^^

You only have to look at the quarterbacks Gus has worked with to see this in action. For instance take Chris Todd's before and after Malzahn numbers. His list of thousand yard backs could also lend credence, that it's not always about individual GOD given talent.

I'm not using Barber's carries in mop up duty to say that he's phenomenal, I'm using them to say that I've actually seen him run the ball.

You're wrong about me saying Ole Miss isn't a "program like ours". One of my first posts said that they're basically a good RB away from being really good. When I discount the fact that he got limited carries for Ole Miss it isn't because the whole team sucks, it's because the other running backs suck.

So far what I've seen from ole miss since freeze has been there, there hasn't been a statistically great running back. To me I'm thinking maybe his system limits hb's is all I'm saying. I think we all know our offense is alot more physical than theirs. But I understand some of what you're saying I just don't agree with every single point but I'm not saying you're stupid or absurd or anything. I'm just saying if we picked either guy I don't care which one and they played for both teams both would look better playing in our offense so imo that means barber has a slight advantage there.

I was more interested in your high school evaluations because I thought they both looked good but I believe you saw some flaws in Wilkins and I wanted to read your opinion about that, because I can watch a corner or safety and somewhat a wr and really evaluate and know what they're doing. O line and hb not so much so I like reading other people's insight on it

I'm not using Barber's carries in mop up duty to say that he's phenomenal, I'm using them to say that I've actually seen him run the ball.

You're wrong about me saying Ole Miss isn't a "program like ours". One of my first posts said that they're basically a good RB away from being really good. When I discount the fact that he got limited carries for Ole Miss it isn't because the whole team sucks, it's because the other running backs suck.

Exactly. You can watch two guys run and see things that you don't need a seasons worth of tape to notice. Barber is bigger, he has better burst, and he takes on tackles in a more physical manner. I don't know who is faster, but I'd be willing to wager that the difference either way is negligible. Cole, I understand what you are saying, but trust me when I tell you that Wilkins is a very average back. A true freshman was going to start over him this year before he got hurt earlier this summer.

Girls, girls...you're both pretty, ok?

Can we move on?

That's just ridiculous because this is as well as a difference of opinions can be had on a forum. You're pretty much just saying don't express an opinion on a matter....But ok you swooped in and was the voice of reason and authority, you're the man!

Exactly. You can watch two guys run and see things that you don't need a seasons worth of tape to notice. Barber is bigger, he has better burst, and he takes on tackles in a more physical manner. I don't know who is faster, but I'd be willing to wager that the difference either way is negligible. Cole, I understand what you are saying, but trust me when I tell you that Wilkins is a very average back. A true freshman was going to start over him this year before he got hurt earlier this summer.

Yeah I see like three or four people say that so I believe you, I promise I'm not being a smart a$$ I was just wanting somebody to give me, I guess maybe a comparison of the two like one has better balance or something like that. That's all just trying to learn something.

Yeah I see like three or four people say that so I believe you, I promise I'm not being a smart a$$ I was just wanting somebody to give me, I guess maybe a comparison of the two like one has better balance or something like that. That's all just trying to learn something.

I didn't read your posts that way at all. And, I hope Wilkins surprises me this year, but I just don't expect him to, and still think he will be limited on carries in a paper thin backfield. I wish I could give you a better analysis. I just don't think Wilkins is very physical considering his good size, and Barber looks like a back you can count on in short yardage situations. That reason alone makes me like Barber a whole lot more.

So far what I've seen from ole miss since freeze has been there, there hasn't been a statistically great running back. To me I'm thinking maybe his system limits hb's is all I'm saying. I think we all know our offense is alot more physical than theirs. But I understand some of what you're saying I just don't agree with every single point but I'm not saying you're stupid or absurd or anything. I'm just saying if we picked either guy I don't care which one and they played for both teams both would look better playing in our offense so imo that means barber has a slight advantage there.

I was more interested in your high school evaluations because I thought they both looked good but I believe you saw some flaws in Wilkins and I wanted to read your opinion about that, because I can watch a corner or safety and somewhat a wr and really evaluate and know what they're doing. O line and hb not so much so I like reading other people's insight on it

Gotcha. I'm certainly not the guy who needs everyone to agree with him all the time. This place is a lot more interesting with different viewpoints. And I do agree that our offense makes RBs look a lot better.

I'd have to go back and watch his film again but I do remember PMing a mod and basically saying "why are we recruiting this guy?". If I remember correctly, it was the fact the he ran very stiff and upright with very little top end speed. No fluidity at all. Wasn't a power runner either...just bigger than the guys trying to tackle him.

And to passthebiscuits- Is that really needed? Isn't this a message board? We're talking about football (civilly) and you feel the need to emasculate us?

Ok I got you. That back from Tenn runs a little upright too, but I think he's good, but I do wonder how many hits he's going to be able to take. But he's physical. If Wilkins isn't physical then his size is actually a disadvantage I'd estimate. It was a while ago but I thought I remembered people raving about his hands but then I know they say barber has great hands to...But a running back scared of contact??? No bueno

Ok I got you. That back from Tenn runs a little upright too, but I think he's good, but I do wonder how many hits he's going to be able to take. But he's physical. If Wilkins isn't physical then his size is actually a disadvantage I'd estimate. It was a while ago but I thought I remembered people raving about his hands but then I know they say barber has great hands to...But a running back scared of contact??? No bueno

He actually reminds me a lot of Hurd but less physical.

Against power 5 competition

Barber- 4 car 24 yards 6.0 ypc

Wilkins- 28 car 137 yards 4.89 ypc

I personally like Barbers style better, regardless of the stats, and due the the ineffectiveness at RB Wilkins has gotten more shots

I'm sure if barber has more than 4 carries he's not averaging 6. Hence my point that, that logic has to work both ways...4.89 isn't actually higher than I was expecting to see from him

Wilkins on the other hand is averaging 6.94 on 52 carries. He had almost 200 yards and 17 ypc against Presbyterian so that skews the average which is 4.52 without that game

Archived