2015 Preseason Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

I think rtftiger has it right. Consistency is the key. I had heard that Barber's problem early on was learning the blocking assignments though I'm not sure if that was him or another back. If Barber knows the playbook, can block or is willing to do the dirty work of blocking, and can hold onto the ball better than the others, he'll play a lot and may even be the starter over Roc and Jovon, regardless of talent level. Malzahn's rushing offense is built to showcase a back and get him big chunks of yardage - even average backs can get over 1,000 yards in this system during a season and Barber, even if he isn't as talented as Roc or Jovon, could accomplish that goal as the starter or primary back as long as he is healthy and holds onto the ball. Roc may be the best RB at Auburn since Bo in terms of talent but if Barber is more consistent doing the things Malzahn asks for from an RB, he'll start over Roc and be successful.

That being said, I'm not sure that's going to happen. As has already been mentioned, Roc got a lot more PT last year than Barber did and regardless of the "recruiting promise" of getting the first touch in the Iron Bowl, he still got more carries as the year progressed and Barber only played sparingly. My money's on Roc and Jovon over Barber unless both guys regress and Barber shines from here on out. He'll play, no doubt, but I have a hard time seeing him as a starter at any point in 2015 barring injuries.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malzahn always asks whether a player can be "counted on." He seems to want consistency and reliability. I think that's why CAP was tapped last season. If Barber shows a greater reliability than Roc, he'll be carrying the ball. Don't forget that the last time we saw Roc, he was overwhelmed and scrambling to pick up a dropped pitch.

Not the way I remember it. :no:

Malzahn always asks whether a player can be "counted on." He seems to want consistency and reliability. I think that's why CAP was tapped last season. If Barber shows a greater reliability than Roc, he'll be carrying the ball. Don't forget that the last time we saw Roc, he was overwhelmed and scrambling to pick up a dropped pitch.

Not the way I remember it. :no:

Right. I was being generous.

CWM looks 20 lbs lighter and 100% in a better psychological place since FL. Happy for him.

I think staying in the state of Florida too long could mess up anybody

Really????? that hurt my feeling and I'll pass that along to CC

I don't think he'll be good b/c of Tre's comments. Never thought that. I've went by the carries he has had...even though there have not been many. When he's gotten the ball he's made the most of them. He's a combination of good power and speed IMO. He's barely got a chance in mop up duty. Everyone is so high on Javon and the talent is def. there but being in Gus's system for two solid years has to count for something. Peyton may not play much at Auburn. My thing with him is at least give him a TRUE shot to say...yes or no..if he can contribute. I felt like last year he should've gotten more of that chance.

I personally think Roc will start but i don't get just handing the job to Javon just b/c he was the #1 JUCO RB. If the #1 position is open..let it be open for all 3 to prove it.

This!

Side note: if he does beat out Roc and Jovon, I definitely won't complain. It'll mean that he's obviously a huge talent.

That's refreshing. There's this odd tendency for folks to get upset when their recruiting heroes don't win the job. A lot of those folks are going to complain this season that Cowart isn't getting enough snaps. I think some folks might still be upset that Mario Fannin didn't start over Ben Tate in 2009. /soapbox1

This is not a response to caleb1633, but to others who say that Barber might win the job despite not being more talented than Roc or Jovon. I think I know what you mean- he might not be as elusive, fast, quick to the hole or proficient in whatever other ball carrying qualities we generally consider desirable. But as referenced several times by others, being a talented running back is much more than being a talented ball carrier. Maybe just semantics, kind of like calling players who touch the ball skill players (as though defenders and linemen aren't skilled). /soapbox2

A lot of good constructive criticism in this thread. Enjoying the conversation. I'll say this, I believe that we are truly 3-4 deep at RB. That will never be a bad thing IMO.

I don't think he'll be good b/c of Tre's comments. Never thought that. I've went by the carries he has had...even though there have not been many. When he's gotten the ball he's made the most of them. He's a combination of good power and speed IMO. He's barely got a chance in mop up duty. Everyone is so high on Javon and the talent is def. there but being in Gus's system for two solid years has to count for something. Peyton may not play much at Auburn. My thing with him is at least give him a TRUE shot to say...yes or no..if he can contribute. I felt like last year he should've gotten more of that chance.

I personally think Roc will start but i don't get just handing the job to Javon just b/c he was the #1 JUCO RB. If the #1 position is open..let it be open for all 3 to prove it.

This!

All the RBs are being given a shot......right now.....in practice. Along with everybody else. There's too much at stake to do otherwise. The best players will play the most. The coaches can't do this any other way.

CWM looks 20 lbs lighter and 100% in a better psychological place since FL. Happy for him.

I think staying in the state of Florida too long could mess up anybody

Be nice to Golf

Why???...

Side note: if he does beat out Roc and Jovon, I definitely won't complain. It'll mean that he's obviously a huge talent.

That's refreshing. There's this odd tendency for folks to get upset when their recruiting heroes don't win the job. A lot of those folks are going to complain this season that Cowart isn't getting enough snaps. I think some folks might still be upset that Mario Fannin didn't start over Ben Tate in 2009. /soapbox1

This is not a response to caleb1633, but to others who say that Barber might win the job despite not being more talented than Roc or Jovon. I think I know what you mean- he might not be as elusive, fast, quick to the hole or proficient in whatever other ball carrying qualities we generally consider desirable. But as referenced several times by others, being a talented running back is much more than being a talented ball carrier. Maybe just semantics, kind of like calling players who touch the ball skill players (as though defenders and linemen aren't skilled). /soapbox2

A lot of good constructive criticism in this thread. Enjoying the conversation. I'll say this, I believe that we are truly 3-4 deep at RB. That will never be a bad thing IMO.

Never a bad thing.

good post.

as an example - one of those other "things" a RB needs to be able to do is block. this comes up often, particularly with WR ... in college offense, particularly malzahn's, if you can't do the little things (like block, not fumble - among others) then you will have limited time on the field. Not saying this is barber's issue, just an example of the many items that could keep a player from seeing more touches. having a couple guys that are better than you can also limit your touches ... even if you are great ... they may be better.

kinda reminds me of the Kenny Irons situation. everyone was freaking about him not playing. when he did play after 4 or 5 games, he was a beast. apparently the problem was he couldn't grasp the blocking concepts. no matter how good Irons was, if he got the QB killed in the first game, it would have been a net negative.

Any updates regarding our kickers and/or punters yet?

We don't plan to...& yes only onsides squibs by....

Byron Cowart

good post.

as an example - one of those other "things" a RB needs to be able to do is block. this comes up often, particularly with WR ... in college offense, particularly malzahn's, if you can't do the little things (like block, not fumble - among others) then you will have limited time on the field. Not saying this is barber's issue, just an example of the many items that could keep a player from seeing more touches. having a couple guys that are better than you can also limit your touches ... even if you are great ... they may be better.

kinda reminds me of the Kenny Irons situation. everyone was freaking about him not playing. when he did play after 4 or 5 games, he was a beast. apparently the problem was he couldn't grasp the blocking concepts. no matter how good Irons was, if he got the QB killed in the first game, it would have been a net negative.

You hit on the key to it all (THE BLOCKING)if the o-line can come together and block like they did in 2013 any of the RB's can do the job just fine.

Barber got hurt in the spring game last year if I recall correctly. I think he has just as good a chance to play as any

I don't have a big preference on any running back but Barber always seems to be running full steam and doesn't shy away from contact.

I don't think Barber will see the field much in his time at Auburn. Everyone thinks he's gonna be awesome because of a comment Tre Mason made about him back in 2013, but he hasn't seen any meaningful action since he's arrived, has done little to impress during mop up duty, and is competing against two of the most talented RBs in the league. I'm not saying he won't win the starting job, or at least have significant playing time, but I won't be surprised at all if he doesn't.

really none of our rbs are proven. I will agree on barber, except i haven't seen anything from him here or hs film that impressed me. Not saying he is not talented, i have not seen though. He is where i expect him to be behind roc and jrob.i think kerryon passes him too.

I agree Caleb. Not knocking the kid at all. He's a good D1 back but not elite (similar to CAP) except CAP came along at the right time to get a year to shine. Unfortunately for PB there are two or three 5* type backs ahead of him already. I've kind of felt that way about Peyton when he was signed. He was a 3* for a reason. I would love to be very wrong though.

I don't think Barber will see the field much in his time at Auburn. Everyone thinks he's gonna be awesome because of a comment Tre Mason made about him back in 2013, but he hasn't seen any meaningful action since he's arrived, has done little to impress during mop up duty, and is competing against two of the most talented RBs in the league. I'm not saying he won't win the starting job, or at least have significant playing time, but I won't be surprised at all if he doesn't.

really none of our rbs are proven. I will agree on barber, except i haven't seen anything from him here or hs film that impressed me. Not saying he is not talented, i have not seen though. He is where i expect him to be behind roc and jrob.i think kerryon passes him too.

I agree Caleb. Not knocking the kid at all. He's a good D1 back but not elite (similar to CAP) except CAP came along at the right time to get a year to shine. Unfortunately for PB there are two or three 5* type backs ahead of him already. I've kind of felt that way about Peyton when he was signed. He was a 3* for a reason. I would love to be very wrong though.

That reason is that he was injured during the recruiting cycle. Didn't play all or most of his senior year of high school, IIRC. Dude is a beast.

And CAP led the SEC in rushing. He'll be getting meaningful NFL reps. We might have different definitions of "elite".

Do not look too far into that one play. It was a mess, but it is most definitely in the past. If roc has greater ability that barber, that play will mean little to nothing

That reason is that he was injured during the recruiting cycle. Didn't play all or most of his senior year of high school, IIRC. Dude is a beast.

And CAP led the SEC in rushing. He'll be getting meaningful NFL reps. We might have different definitions of "elite".

McLoofus is right. Barber was only ranked a 3* because of an injury in high school and limited evaluations. It had no barring on how talented he is as a running back. I recall it being said he probably would have been a mid to high 4* had he not been injured.

Archived