2015 Preseason Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we all thought Dyer was going to be better than mason

I for one was always a huge Mason fan. I thought he was capable of matching Dyer's productivity if given an adequate chance.

bigbird's got a point. Not many Auburn fans were very optimistic about Mason being an every-down back. That was certainly true here, even well into Tre's junior season.

As for Dyer, ifs and buts, blah blah blah... Tre Mason was a better college football running back than Dyer. Being a good football player at any position requires intelligence and heart. Advantage: Mason*

*Which is not to say that he's not a freak athlete. It's going to be mighty fun to watch him and Gurley share a backfield.

And we all thought Dyer was going to be better than mason

I for one was always a huge Mason fan. I thought he was capable of matching Dyer's productivity if given an adequate chance.

I always liked Mason the best.

I don't think I believe anyone who says they liked Tre Mason more than Mike Dyer at the start of 2011. I just don't buy what you're selling.

Given the way Mason progressed, it's actually possible that he could've pushed Dyer for the starting spot in 2012, but I don't think anyone liked Tre more as a player when he overlapped with Dyer. Mason ended up being better, but I don't even know if his family expected that when he was sitting the bench behind the guy who broke Bo's freshman rushing record.

I don't think I believe anyone who says they liked Tre Mason more than Mike Dyer at the start of 2011. I just don't buy what you're selling.

Given the way Mason progressed, it's actually possible that he could've pushed Dyer for the starting spot in 2012, but I don't think anyone liked Tre more as a player when he overlapped with Dyer. Mason ended up being better, but I don't even know if his family expected that when he was sitting the bench behind the guy who broke Bo's freshman rushing record.

i am your man. i was never a dyer fan. he was strong but didn't break many tackles and was not blazing fast. i thought mason was too small until his freshman season started and i saw him on the field. i predicted he would be better a few games into that season. i did not think dyer was a deuche until he left. i just thought he was in an offense that made it easy for him. mason made the offense better. dyer was just in the offense.

CWM looks 20 lbs lighter and 100% in a better psychological place since FL. Happy for him.

I think staying in the state of Florida too long could mess up anybody

Really????? that hurt my feeling and I'll pass that along to CC

CWM looks 20 lbs lighter and 100% in a better psychological place since FL. Happy for him.

I think staying in the state of Florida too long could mess up anybody

Be nice to Golf

Why???...

Good question.....numnuts check your warning points

i am your man. i was never a dyer fan. he was strong but didn't break many tackles and was not blazing fast. i thought mason was too small until his freshman season started and i saw him on the field. i predicted he would be better a few games into that season. i did not think dyer was a deuche until he left. i just thought he was in an offense that made it easy for him. mason made the offense better. dyer was just in the offense.

I think Dyer showed that he could break tackles in his final season at AU. Those plays that he started finding the seams and breaking runs up the sidelines was impressive. He had some short legs but he could move. Mason hit the hole before anybody saw it. Dyer did that left to right juke and ran into the line too much I will say. Mason's style was more impressive but Dyer would have done great things and still has a chance. Maybe he can pull a Rudy J. Good luck to him. Barber will look similar you'd think.

Mason hit the hole before anybody saw it.

So true

You're very on point today.

Also, everybody please watch this and come back with an honest evaluation of Michael Dyer. Please remember that this is a true freshman you're watching. The kid was sick. Just filthy. Couldn't break tackles? Come on. Dude had insane leg drive and balance. That play in the BCSCG was no fluke.

Seriously, people, but for the personal business, that dude would have been one of the best to ever carry the ball at Auburn. He was a future All-American with a national championship game MVP in his back pocket. I know that's what Mason became, but no one was bumping Dyer out of his starting job.

I for one loved how Mason hit the hole and always gained positive yardage. He didn't show the flashiness of Dyer but he wasn't going to lose yards when the ball was in his hands.

Again, that's what he became. I love Tre. Incredible player, but he had 28 carries, 160 yards, and 1 TD as a freshman. The only game he had more than 4 carries that season was the bowl game, when Dyer was suspended. No one thought Mason was a better runner. I don't think anyone is lying. I just think people forget. I think folks have a hard time separating the fact that Dyer was tragically such a screw up, and Mason became a Heisman runner up and record setter.

No one in Auburn history has run for more yards as a freshman (1093 yards). No one in Auburn history has run for more yards in their freshman and sophomore seasons combined (2335 yards). Only one other player has matched his carries in a single game (Cadillac, each had a 41 carry game). It's sad that he couldn't hold it together for at least one more season.

I think everything happened for as well as it could've for everyone outside of Dyer

If he stayed, he likely puts up great numbers again in 2012 and 2013, Tre may go off in 2014, but who knows? CAP and Grant never happen, but at least from now on would be the same

Again, that's what he became. I love Tre. Incredible player, but he had 28 carries, 160 yards, and 1 TD as a freshman. The only game he had more than 4 carries that season was the bowl game, when Dyer was suspended. No one thought Mason was a better runner. I don't think anyone is lying. I just think people forget. I think folks have a hard time separating the fact that Dyer was tragically such a screw up, and Mason became a Heisman runner up and record setter.

No one in Auburn history has run for more yards as a freshman (1093 yards). No one in Auburn history has run for more yards in their freshman and sophomore seasons combined (2335 yards). Only one other player has matched his carries in a single game (Cadillac, each had a 41 carry game). It's sad that he couldn't hold it together for at least one more season.

I don't know what exactly liked more mean but I always argued that mason could be an every down back and he wasn't just a "spread" back. I don't think I've ever argued mason was better than dyer though...I don't think anybody ever asked that question on any board I was on

Seriously, people, but for the personal business, that dude would have been one of the best to ever carry the ball at Auburn. He was a future All-American with a national championship game MVP in his back pocket. I know that's what Mason became, but no one was bumping Dyer out of his starting job.

Agree.....after his problems here he just seemed to go backwards. IF..... he could have kept his head straight he would hold most of the AU rushing records IMO. Too bad for him ...and for AU football.

With the recruiting program we have now, IMO, it will be a long time before another true freshman RB makes the impact that MD did.

Cole, that's exactly what multiple people on this thread claimed. Go back one page to see "I always liked Mason best." And "I was never a Dyer fan."

People are absolutely claiming they liked Mason more in 2011, which is revisionist history.

Archived