Trying something different at D-End

aubfaninga

Trying a discussion without all the meltdown comments.

I know we are not stacked with linebackers but if you had to choose one we have on the roster, to replace Lawson and his pass rush, who would you like to see try it?

So was Carl Lawson in '13. These two guys may be true freshmen but they are oozing with raw talent. Put 'em in and turn 'em loose!

This exactly. The older guys have proven what they can (and can't) do. It's time for fresh faces.

Edit: wouldn't mind seeing Cassanova get a few reps there either. He's been in the backfield as much or more than anyone not named Lawson

Lawson was great as a frosh but his effectiveness (same goes for Adams) fell off as the season wore on. I would expect these freshmen to have good moments all year but not be mainstays.

The whole d fell off. Not just Lawson. That year we won in spite of the D, not because it helped in any way. I think the new guys are exactly what this new scheme needs. It looks as though this will be year #2 without CL so it's officially time for his full time replacement to step up. If that is going to be a freshman, so be it. It's time to become a man. Ante up.

Cowart and Holland may have some growing pains but the talent is there. If Lawson can't go it's time to give them a shot. They may make some mistakes but that is part of growing up.

Wow I'd try playing DE like it's supposed be played. Imagine a DE that stops the ball carrier from getting outside but instead forces the runner inside. A DE's job is to force outside running plays to the inside or to at least string them out until the runner goes out of bounds or the rest of the team gets to the ball carrier to tackle him. I actually watched BC do this last night.

I'm thinking Cass would be the best move with Holland switching in to give a breather. Cass looked pretty good at the end spot last year against Arky with the few snaps he took there. I also think I remember Muschamp saying something about Cass playing the Buck position at some point in the off season.

Maybe this is the reason Cameron Toney is the new starting LB, if that rumor is true.

Holland. I mentioned this in another thread. I've liked what i've seen out of Holland. More Cowart is going to be a given IMO but as for someone who was not previously in the picture at DE...i think it could/should be Holland.

Holland. I mentioned this in another thread. I've liked what i've seen out of Holland. More Cowart is going to be a given IMO but as for someone who was not previously in the picture at DE...i think it could/should be Holland.

I was leaning toward Cass so lets weigh this option with Holland.

If you had Cass and Holland only to choose from, which one at linebacker and which one at end? Why?

Holland. I mentioned this in another thread. I've liked what i've seen out of Holland. More Cowart is going to be a given IMO but as for someone who was not previously in the picture at DE... think it could/should be Holland.

If you had Cass and Holland only to choose from, which one at linebacker and which one at end? Why?

I'd want Cass at LB and Holland at DE. IMO i think DE would be the easiest for Holland to execute at a higher level at this point. Mission = Get to the QB. Just rush...so as a true freshman i'd rather have Holland at DE. Cass was one of the very few that showed up to play last week against JSU. If our LB core was stronger i could see Holland at LB but i like the speed i've seen from Holland.

I'm thinking Cass would be the best move with Holland switching in to give a breather. Cass looked pretty good at the end spot last year against Arky with the few snaps he took there. I also think I remember Muschamp saying something about Cass playing the Buck position at some point in the off season.

Maybe this is the reason Cameron Toney is the new starting LB, if that rumor is true.

Yeah..i've heard this rumor as well about Toney starting.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks later and Cass got the nod

Archived