09 30 15 Notes

RunInRed

OC Rhett Lashlee

Lashlee: "Sean wasn't limited (in the passing game) last week. He'll do whatever the gameplan calls for."

Rhett: "We've got to find a way to generate some explosive plays, regardless of what (opposing defenses) are doing.

Rhett: "Obviously we have to get a little more creative and do some things to free (Duke) up."

Rhett on Kerryon: "The moment's not too big for him.... Mentally he's picking everything up and we gain more and more confidence every week"

Rhett: Offensive line has been OK. They have not been dominant.

Rhett: Roc Thomas "hasn't missed a beat" and should be good to go vs SJSU

Rhett: There's never been a discussion of changing centers, replacing Austin Golson with Xavier Dampeer

Rhett: Jeremy has been doing well. "Nobody likes to be in that situation, but I'm proud with how he's handling it right now."

Rhett on SJSU D: A lot of the same personnel as last year -- but better.

Rhett Lashlee on Stanton Truitt: "He's one of those guys that can be a one-play drive at any time, so you like that."

@AUBlog

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee "got to make people defend the whole field better"

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee looked at trying to simplify some things, regards to how much they were substituting, will help tempo

@wareagleextra

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee talking tonight a lot about trying to avoid 3rd & long situations and 1st down penalties.

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee on WR D'haquille Williams: "He's someone we have to get the ball to, we know that."

Lashlee has said C Austin Golson has been "high and right" on his snaps

@matthewcstevens

I keep hearing that the coaches "know" they have to get Duke the ball, but I haven't seen evidence of that knowledge. Heck, MSU wanted Bear Wilson to have the ball so much that they ran a reverse for the guy. Frankly, he's slow, but that's a sign that the offensive staff values keeping him involved, even if he's not the focus of the passing gameplan that night. We have not shown the same opinion of Duke.

The best way to get Duke open, in my opinion, is to create another threat on the other side of the formation. Duke isn't quick enough to out cut or out "route" a lot of people.

Gus and Rhett always say they are working to "simplify" things for the guys. Are our guys just dumb as a bag of rocks? I say that facetiously. Why, after spring and fall practice, do to things need to be simplified???

That looks to be a stressed out guy to an extent. Earlier this year he was in a much better mood than now (of course we all were). Maybe Muschamp is wearing off on him :dunno:

Added responsibility, and the pressure that it creates.

Sure wish Gus would take the reins back.

Gus and Rhett always say they are working to "simplify" things for the guys. Are our guys just dumb as a bag of rocks? I say that facetiously. Why, after spring and fall practice, do to things need to be simplified???

He was speaking of simplifying to avoid substitutions... that is a coaching thing. The only way it reflects on the players is that we apparently have a lot of players that specialize in certain things and aren't as well rounded as we might like, but that is to be expected with a young team. Still, getting rid of some of the substitutions it should help with one of our strengths... speed. Plus it will hopefully kill those illegal substitution penalties.

OC Rhett Lashlee

Lashlee: "Sean wasn't limited (in the passing game) last week. He'll do whatever the gameplan calls for."

Sorry Rhett,.... but.... I'm tired of hearing about a gameplan.

How about trying something new and let's do a little thinking on our feet, on #GAME#DAY and when on the run. As in some thing at the spur of the moment, after seeing what's not working. Or how about reacting in response to what the other team is doing or giving you. You do know even the best of plans some times may require a change or two. Because this sleeping on a idea all summer has gotta no-where fast. Dude at least change the vocabulary, it not as if that too, has to be done on the fly. This mythical #gameplan we keep hearing about is being to sound like a bad child's... I thought I did... or that's not what I had in mind. I mean, come on guy, it's San Jose State... hasn't the game plan been let's to go to the lake... before working the bye week, and the season gits hard?

Hey Rhett it's just a thought. but just cause Daddy Gus was is a big time ball coach, doesn't mean you have what it takes to run the family business.

Is it just me,..which it probably is...or is AU's passing game really that complicated? I seem to see the same ole passing plays over and over. The SJSU game would be a perfect opportunity for the OC to let Sean to "air" it out...get some rythym & timing, get some rarely used crossing patterns in, etc. But, we shall see how Rhett plays this one.

Is it just me,..which it probably is...or is AU's passing game really that complicated? I seem to see the same ole passing plays over and over. The SJSU game would be a perfect opportunity for the OC to let Sean to "air" it out...get some rythym & timing, get some rarely used crossing patterns in, etc. But, we shall see how Rhett plays this one.

i would agree except we can't take any game as a practice, hell jax st. came within a gnat's ass of beating us.

Can anyone tell me approximately when Lashlee started calling the plays?

im not sure he does.

Me neither, was just frustrated with hearing more about this so-called* gameplan.

* unchangeable

** non-functional

*** mythical

**** written in stone

***** responsibility avoiding

I keep hearing that the coaches "know" they have to get Duke the ball, but I haven't seen evidence of that knowledge. Heck, MSU wanted Bear Wilson to have the ball so much that they ran a reverse for the guy. Frankly, he's slow, but that's a sign that the offensive staff values keeping him involved, even if he's not the focus of the passing gameplan that night. We have not shown the same opinion of Duke.

Agree 100%. We need to move Duke and Jason Smith around a lot. Have to create ways to get them the ball! Similar to how South Carolina does with Pharaoh Cooper or how the ATL Falcons do with Julio Jones.

Agree 100%. We need to move Duke and Jason Smith around a lot. Have to create ways to get them the ball! Similar to how South Carolina does with Pharaoh Cooper or how the ATL Falcons do with Julio Jones.

This is a chicken or the egg debate. We'll never get to the end of it. On one side are folks who are saying basically that we not only need to make Duke's breakfast, but we also need to spoon feed it to him. On the other are those who say that he can starve if he's not going to eat the breakfast he's been given. I'm firmly in the latter camp. I don't believe in moving heaven and earth to serve opportunities to lazy guys on a silver platter. I'd rather give those opportunities to the guys who are working and producing.

Duke isn't getting the ball because he is half-assing his routes and pouts when the play isn't coming to him. I don't know why they won't just say this. I loved how much effort he was giving last season - you could really tell he wanted to win on virtually every play! But this year is different and it's disappointing as a fan to see a great player give such poor effort

to me, it isn't that we aren't trying to get the ball to Duke, its the fact that DCs know we are trying to get the ball to Duke. Duke is being schematically removed from our games. Until we have another consistent viable threat that demands the same, although lesser, attention of DCs, then this trend will continue.

Isn't duke the type of receiver that doesn't have to be wide open to make a play on the ball? I'm not talking about throwing to him when he is triple covered, but give him some opportunities to make plays. With that in mind I think as SW's confidence goes up we will see more throws his way. Even some of those back shoulder, to the sideline throws that either he makes a catch or no one does kinda plays should be tried more.

This is a chicken or the egg debate. We'll never get to the end of it. On one side are folks who are saying basically that we not only need to make Duke's breakfast, but we also need to spoon feed it to him. On the other are those who say that he can starve if he's not going to eat the breakfast he's been given. I'm firmly in the latter camp. I don't believe in moving heaven and earth to serve opportunities to lazy guys on a silver platter. I'd rather give those opportunities to the guys who are working and producing.

I personally don't think it's spoon feeding. I don't have the opinion that Duke's half assing it on the field...just from what i've seen. Has he taken some plays off...sure but i don't see it as something that's rampant b/c the other WRs have done the same. I see it as creating miss matches for Duke as well as for other WRs.

I view our WR routes/sets as remedial at best. We're helping defenses with the routes we run. Several of our big plays when Nick was the QB was in situations when he eluded defenders in the pocket and looked down the field for WRs who basically improvised their routes to get open. Sean nor JJ are anything close to Nick's running skills so that means they'll be in the pocket a lot. So i don't see it as making special plays for Duke...this is something that benefit Sean big time as well. I'm not saying move heaven and earth for Duke but it's pretty clear that when you get the ball in the hands of your best players it bodes well for the team. We need to get creative not only with Duke but with all of our weapons on offense.

Isn't duke the type of receiver that doesn't have to be wide open to make a play on the ball? I'm not talking about throwing to him when he is triple covered, but give him some opportunities to make plays. With that in mind I think as SW's confidence goes up we will see more throws his way. Even some of those back shoulder, to the sideline throws that either he makes a catch or no one does kinda plays should be tried more.

Agree. For the life of me i didn't understand why we didn't even attempt to throw one fade to Duke in the endzone while in the redzone. NOT ONE! We have one of the best WRs in CFB and we don't even give him a shot to go up and get the football. If there is any point and time where we could force the ball to Duke...that would be the time.

I laugh at all the comments about our routes being simple. Guys, there are only handful of routes. There are different route combinations and breaks, but, essentially, there are the same routes as other teams across the country. And, believe it or not, most every DB we play against knows exactly what route is being run within the first 3-5 steps.

to me, it isn't that we aren't trying to get the ball to Duke, its the fact that DCs know we are trying to get the ball to Duke. Duke is being schematically removed from our games. Until we have another consistent viable threat that demands the same, although lesser, attention of DCs, then this trend will continue.

This would seem to support that:

"We were trying to get it to him early (against Mississippi State) and there was some double coverage issues," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "He's one of the impact players, there's no doubt, and we need to find a way not only to get the ball to him; but there's three or four others that I really feel like we need to do a better job of getting the ball to also."

Malzahn said there is "nothing that Duke is doing wrong or he needs to do better."

Maybe I've been too hard on Duke, but it sure seems like he's loafed on some blocks and dropped some balls he shouldn't have. Sammie Coates caught a lot of hell every time he dropped a ball, not sure why Duke doesn't.

Agree. For the life of me i didn't understand why we didn't even attempt to throw one fade to Duke in the endzone while in the redzone. NOT ONE! We have one of the best WRs in CFB and we don't even give him a shot to go up and get the football. If there is any point and time where we could force the ball to Duke...that would be the time.

we did against JSU...he ran a stop.

Archived