Just to clear things up....

tigerbrotha12

More than likely if it was an incredible score jump to cause red flags, Purifoy cheating was likely.

Of course, there is this question... how does one cheat on the ACT? Unless things have changed since I took mine, the students are watched like a hawk when taking it. I guess a member of the faculty administering the test could do something, but really?

They have some one show up and take the test for them.

More than likely if it was an incredible score jump to cause red flags, Purifoy cheating was likely.

Of course, there is this question... how does one cheat on the ACT? Unless things have changed since I took mine, the students are watched like a hawk when taking it. I guess a member of the faculty administering the test could do something, but really?

They have some one show up and take the test for them.

That's gotten a lot harder with electronic records., but I guess it's still possible.

can they not just make him re-take the test and call it a day? seems like this could take what a week tops?

More than likely if it was an incredible score jump that caused the red flags, Purifoy was likely cheating. Rich kids with personal tutors would be lucky to jump 7+ points in such a short period of time. I think the average jump is like three points total. In summary, we probably don't want him retaking the test.

http://www.actstuden...g/faq/more.html

A couple premises were off but my conclusion remains intact. It is hard to make significant jumps unless your scores started so low that even if you did make sizable gains, it would still be hard to get in.

Don't know if Purifoy would agree with your assumption.

can they not just make him re-take the test and call it a day? seems like this could take what a week tops?

More than likely if it was an incredible score jump that caused the red flags, Purifoy was likely cheating. Rich kids with personal tutors would be lucky to jump 7+ points in such a short period of time. I think the average jump is like three points total. In summary, we probably don't want him retaking the test.

http://www.actstuden...g/faq/more.html

A couple premises were off but my conclusion remains intact. It is hard to make significant jumps unless your scores started so low that even if you did make sizable gains, it would still be hard to get in.

Don't know if Purifoy would agree with your assumption.

Cant help it. The ACT is generally not a test you can hack. You either do well or you don't. I hope I'm wrong but the percentages say otherwise. And that is why his score got flagged.

Or maybe he didn't take the test serious the first time and thought it would be easy. After that he realized the complexity and importance of the test and decided to study for it.

Or maybe he didn't take the test serious the first time and thought it would be easy. After that he realized the complexity and importance of the test and decided to study for it.

Well then I want him tutoring my daughter in 16 years. Because the ACT doesn't flag small gains, they flag the irregular ones. And there is only so much studying that can be done. It's testing built in knowledge and reasoning skills. It's not like you can cram for the ACT the night before. But if you really believe that, Purifoy should retake the test. I checked the Internet for retaking the test and one person had his score flagged because of a 9 point jump. He was forced to retake it and he was told that if he made a 23, then he could keep his 25.

Well then I want him tutoring my daughter in 16 years. Because the ACT doesn't flag small gains, they flag the irregular ones. And there is only so much studying that can be done. It's testing built in knowledge and reasoning skills. It's not like you can cram for the ACT the night before. But if you really believe that, Purifoy should retake the test. I checked the Internet for retaking the test and one person had his score flagged because of a 9 point jump. He was forced to retake it and he was told that if he made a 23, then he could keep his 25.

The ACT does offer study sessions through the school, which goes over questions from past tests. It's basically like 5 or 6 sessions at 6 am that goes over test taking skills.

The ACT does offer study sessions through the school, which goes over questions from past tests. It's basically like 5 or 6 sessions at 6 am that goes over test taking skills.

So, one can improve but one has to work and sacrifice for it. I like it, but I don't think the entitlement generation will care for the 6 AM stuff.

I am just saying that I know of kids who took the test the first time as a junior after a night of being out and partying (obviously underage and illegal) and scored a 14. After realizing the wrong in their ways, waited a year to retake the test and made sure to work and study (doing classes as mentioned above, reading material about best practices for the ACT, etc). The result from taking the test the second time was a 25. I am not suggesting that is what happened here. I am just saying that there are people who don't take it serious the first time around and then they realize it could mean their future so they work harder for it the second time.

Either way, best of luck to the young man and I hope he gets it straight and gets into Auburn.

It was found out that Derrick Rose never took the SAT and had a friend take it for him. Memphis had to vacate every win from that year (lost to KU in the National Championship). Obviously, this case is different, being that it seems to be a spike in the score of the test. However, it's good that Auburn is taking a wait and see approach. It feels like everyone is waiting for Coach Pearl to slip up again.

if it is indeed a 9 point jump thats huge and prob wouldnt want him retaking it. However i know when i took it in 2005-06 time frame i think you could have your scores via online in like 2 weeks. I'm not sure since it was 10 years ago. However I made a 24 and got bored at the end (found out i was ADD after taking it) and made space ship designs on the scan tron for the science and one other big section.

It was found out that Derrick Rose never took the SAT and had a friend take it for him. Memphis had to vacate every win from that year (lost to KU in the National Championship). Obviously, this case is different, being that it seems to be a spike in the score of the test. However, it's good that Auburn is taking a wait and see approach. It feels like everyone is waiting for Coach Pearl to slip up again.

Yup Calipari took the SAT for him so he could come to Memphis. Kidding but the idea is kind of funny to me

what's crazy to me is how long this is taking. I mean what is there to look into? Is there video, does he have to verify he still knows how to answer the questions right, or is it just someone in an office somewhere contemplating whether they should rule him ineligible or not? Seems like anything accept the later would be resolved by now.

what's crazy to me is how long this is taking. I mean what is there to look into? Is there video, does he have to verify he still knows how to answer the questions right, or is it just someone in an office somewhere contemplating whether they should rule him ineligible or not? Seems like anything accept the later would be resolved by now.

You have way to much faith in bureaucrats... If they solved these situations easily the wouldn't be able to claim that they did their due diligence and they probably also wouldn't be able to justify the headcount that they employ. The bad news is, the longer it takes, the less likely the outcome will be good, because if they aren't tracking down information, they are making it look like they are so they can claim that they crossed all of their Ts and dotted all of their Is before possibly screwing up this kids future.

Investigations take time. It was over a year before AU got a letter clearing us of wrongdoing in the Cam nonsense. No investigator wants to put his name on some finding and later get reversed.

Archived