Its not hard to figure out, folks.

JamesG

I'm just posing theories here. Practice is not game day. How many times have we heard stories of guys who lit it up in practice but were not good on game day. I think right now they see the deficiencies but due to injuries have little other choice.

Like I said, if he's seriously looking good in practice, then they need to change up how they practice because his non-existent footwork and terrible decision making should have shown up in some way or another at some point in time in the 3 freaking years he's been here.

I don't recall that Cam or Nick either one had great mechanics. Jeremy looked very good in his previous appearances in game situations. What transpired between then and now is something I have no answers to.

There are some glaring differences between that apples and oranges comparison. One that screams out is those two could obviously improvise when needed. Jeremy looked great a lot of the time because teams game planned for NM. It is a huge difference when teams know about you and are prepping for you. When JJ stepped in the game against Arkansas, they had no clue what he could bring to the table, other than him being tall and looking athletic. Safe to say, they assumed it to be a clone of Cam Newton and that opened up the field from a secondary standpoint.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some glaring differences between that apples and oranges comparison. One that screams out is those two could obviously improvise when needed. Jeremy looked great a lot of the time because teams game planned for NM. It is a huge difference when teams know about you and are prepping for you. When JJ stepped in the game against Arkansas, they had no clue what he could bring to the table, other than him being tall and looking athletic. Safe to say, they assumed it to be a clone of Cam Newton and that opened up the field from a secondary standpoint.

Exactly. To think that they made their mind up on Jeremy Johnson because of one-half of football against a clearly unprepared Arkansas defense and a few mop-up games against s*** opponents is absurd. Tre Smith once put on a show against Alabama, was that enough to hand him the starting RB job and a conclusion that he was a great RB?

Illegitimate argument. White had 3 games in a row of 250 plus yards...out of 4 games...1st time this has happened at AU since 1997...and he's a redshirt freshman. In those games the defense tanked. If he was healthy we probably beat Ole

Miss and almost definitely win today. The issue isn't qb style, it's playcalling and decision making.

Exactly how are you related to SW? Every argument you male is filled with "ifs". If defense played better, if receivers caught the ball, if coaches called a better game.

The fact is putting an injured banged up SW really broke what little continuity we had. He looked more hobbled today than ever. I imagine he will not practice much this week and therefore not play much.

JJ certainly cannot throw downfield. Off target and usually to wrong guy. I think JJ plays the restt if the year just because he is healthy

You realize nothing in the post of mine you quoted had anything at all to do with SW vs JJ, right? Went straight over your head I suppose. I've also said Gus should be held accountable for even attempting to play SW today...missed all those posts too? Move along.

I'm just posing theories here. Practice is not game day. How many times have we heard stories of guys who lit it up in practice but were not good on game day. I think right now they see the deficiencies but due to injuries have little other choice.

Like I said, if he's seriously looking good in practice, then they need to change up how they practice because his non-existent footwork and terrible decision making should have shown up in some way or another at some point in time in the 3 freaking years he's been here.

I don't recall that Cam or Nick either one had great mechanics. Jeremy looked very good in his previous appearances in game situations. What transpired between then and now is something I have no answers to.

I get all that. I'm in no way making excuses for JJ. It is what it is. My point was that he showed flashes of excellence before but when it was his turn he couldn't handle the bright lights. Nick and Cam weren't great mechanically but were great at handling the spotlight and making good decisions. Maybe the coaches did not see some things that would have indicated this could happen. I don't know what JJ or Sean showed in spring practice. Nobody here wants Auburn to win more than I do. I'm hoping like heck this season will lead to some serious work to get back to something resembling the 2013 season. We'll see if it happens or not.

Another point about two minute drill, we waste so much time getting a play off

I think we could get through this whole discussion a lot faster if we simply listed what Gus did properly today.

(1) the first drive (scripted plays) worked

(2) let Muschamp do his thing

(3) never mind...I only got 2 good things

Everyone, lets not forget our tendency to FUMBLE at the worst possible times nowadays. I just done get it. Even when the opposing teams fumble they get it back. when we fumble the other team somehow gets the luck where it ends up in their damn hands.

Everyone, lets not forget our tendency to FUMBLE at the worst possible times nowadays. I just done get it. Even when the opposing teams fumble they get it back. when we fumble the other team somehow gets the luck where it ends up in their damn hands.

I believe we were second in the nation in least fumbles lost coming in to this game today :dunno:

One thing about Auburn football is that as maddening as it is sometimes, it is always great to be an Auburn Tiger. Also disastrous seasons are usually followed by very good seasons. Why that is I don't know but I'm going in full optimism mode for 2016 right now.

Before this game, Auburn had not fumbled the ball and lost it since the JSU game if I recall correctly. At least going back to MSU. Auburn was #1 in the country in fumbles lost, as in not fumbling. Fumbling has not been our problem this year. Ricardo just messed up, similar to how he did against MSU on that kickoff last year and how he had so many drops. Unfortunately he's still an inconsistent player though very talented and we have no choice but to continue to lean on him.

As simply stated in the Subject Title...We lost because our coaches quit running the ball. I do know that after we lost our Center at start of second half, we could neither run the ball nor sustain pass blocking for either QB. We would have been better off being a little more aggressive downfield, but JJ has not been properly coached as to proper manner of throwing downfield and Sean White was injured and should have been held out of the game.

What the &@)!# do you want Gus to do?? He's a very good coach. He didn't get stupid all of a sudden. Let me spell it out for you. WE. DONT. HAVE. A. COMPETENT. QUARTERBACK. Gus/Lashlee are COMPLETELY HANDCUFFED as play callers. Particularly when JJ is in the game.

Jeremy Johnson isn't a great runner, so that takes the read option out of play. JJ also is completely incapable of throwing over the middle or down the field at all. AT ALL. To top it off he isn't a good decision maker. How many passing plays do you think Gus feels comfortable running with JJ?? 2? 3? 90 % of JJ's completions are straight sideways!!! Gus's playbook has been cut down to the size of a post it note!!!! Texas A&M was an anomaly. We can't win like that consistently. We can't run the same 2 running plays all game long and beat teams that way. We did it early today but UGA made adjustments and shut it down. Jeremy Pruitt isn't an idiot.

Sean White is a better passer than JJ but is a freshman and is EXTREMELY limited with the injured knee, and again, not a running QB. So I ask again, What the &$¤# do you want Gus to do?? What plays do you want him to call from his 6-play playbook???

WE NEED A RUNNING QB. PERIOD. No one can argue this. Please God don't give me the Chris Todd argument. The only thing Gus is guilty of is not getting the right QB on campus. Why do you think we went after the JUCO QB who just committed?? And for those of you who mocked me for suggesting Jason Smith get a look at QB again, could he be any worse than what you saw out there today?? I'll hang up and listen.

Okay. Then let's get one! Why were we counting on JJ as our savior in the first place?

As said somewhere else on here, CGM made correct changes to Defensive coaching side of ball last off-season. I am hopeful he is able to make similarly productive changes to the Offensive coaching staff this season end AND finally get the whole ship righted. With all that said, we really lost today on Special Teams, which should not have happened,

I believe we were second in the nation in least fumbles lost coming in to this game today :dunno:/>

According to Rod, that's true.

I believe we were second in the nation in least fumbles lost coming in to this game today :dunno:/>

According to Rod, that's true.

Yep.....and when a team loses the turnover stat ...it's gonna lose the game. Today is a good example of why....and how.

Sean is too hurt to continue. JJ has totally blown up. I wonder if Jonathan Wallace has worked at QB any? He couldn't do any worse. Or maybe just consider putting Kerryon in as QB and run the wildcat every play. Something has to change.

I too think it is a combination of no qb and bad play calling. It has been a strange year. The offense was bringing it in the ark game (ot) is and the defense only needed to make one stop. Could not do it. This game was totally on the offense to make plays and they could not do it. Also for the first time in the last 5 games we lost the turnover battle 0-3.

We are stuck. And the play calling is just bad at times. Rolling out SW is so bad. He can't move. And I wish we would pick a rb and stick with him. There are just so many head scratching moves. But it does start win NO confidence in the qb.

When we heard one of those early scrimmages the d shut our offense down alarms should have gone off.

I agree qb is some or large portion of issue.

But laslee and Gus watch this bunch practice. It has to be evident.

Another year of this and we have to ask is it Gus. His record vs SEC is falling fast. 1-4 vs both miss teams in last two years won't get us in contention for much.

When does recruits and current players begin to look at the baffling decisions made by the current offensive staff and lose confidence in their abilities? I hope they don't figure that out. Malzahn makes the dumbest changes with players that I have ever seen. He often does that when right on the goal line. He must have a problem evaluating talent that fits his system at the QB position. If he needs a dual threat QB, why recruit pocket passers? HE is over rated IMO.

i hate to bring up the turdsters but as i watched that game i noticed 2 things that are directly related to preparation and great coaching. They were explaining how Bammer would have 14 guys on the field while the team was huddling and based on formation, a certain 3 would come off the field. That isnt easy to do with 18-21 year olds. Thats some dam good preparation. Also, i noticed that the nickster rarely says anything other than to the refs or to someone who made a bad play. I'm assuming this is because of excellent planning. Everyone is on the same page and the coordiantors do their jobs. he's just their to manage. in a nutshell, i'm saying our coaching isnt up to par to compete with the big dogs every year. He may be able to reach that with time and experience though. Just a matter of whether we can at least be consistent and give him a little time to get it together.

Archived