Five Things I Learned from the Iron Bowl

Potatooooooes!!

People forget that we lost Avery Young at the half so Lett moved from tightend to tackle. Bama brought the safety down into the box and they blew up the run daring us to throw. knowing JJ was inaccurate. The play that killed me was when he could have run straight for a first but ran sideways to keep from getting hit and we had to punt. a Qb that can't throw accurately and falls down to avoid a hit is what we had.

People forget that we lost Avery Young at the half so Lett moved from tightend to tackle. Bama brought the safety down into the box and they blew up the run daring us to throw. knowing JJ was inaccurate. The play that killed me was when he could have run straight for a first but ran sideways to keep from getting hit and we had to punt. a Qb that can't throw accurately and falls down to avoid a hit is what we had.

Yep. He had nothing but a lb like 10 yds or so ahead of him, and he's like, I think I'll float over to the left here behind my guy. He could have cut straight upfield and gotten some nice yds. I think we're thinking of the same play. Not far from midfield.

There have been a few things I've been on the fence about regarding this year's team, but I think this year's Iron Bowl helped me over to the other side on some of these issues. As a shout out to DualThreatRigby, here's what I learned after last night's final game of the regular season:

1) Our offense still works

--When executed properly, that is. It may be simple, and other teams may have figured it out, but for the third year in a row we ran at will against Alabama. For some reason we quit running in the second half, but if our anemic offense can have that much success running the ball against Bama's defense, then we're in a good place. Better execution and better qb play will make us lethal once again. Which leads me to my next point...

2) Gus hasn't lost it

--Gus still has a tendency to think ahead to the point of outcoaching himself (such as abandoning the run in the second half) and still makes questionable calls (see the infamous 3rd and 2. And he's STILL pulling the running back with the hot hands out of the game after 3 downs), but overall he called an excellent game, especially in the first half. Yeah we only scored 13 points, but we can't expect him to call much with a quarterback he can't trust. Which brings me to my next point....

3) JJ is done.

--I've been on the fence about him since his return in the A&M game. Obviously he did a fine job then, and did okay during the Idaho and GA games, but I still wasn't sure he could ever be the answer. Now I know he's not. I can't recall ever seeing a qb so afraid of pressure in my life. He's a six three guy playing like he's five six, almost as if he's afraid the opposing defensive linemen are going to send him to the hospital. Combine that with the fact that every throw he made yesterday save one (that I can remember) was flat out awful, and you have a recipe for a position change or transfer. Which doesn't lead me to my next point, but...

4) Our defense is on it's way to being legit

--Yes, I know Henry gained north of 200+ yards on us, but he never dominated our d like Fournette did. In fact, no one did. In fact, I'd argue no one has since the Arky game. Henry gained chunks of yardage throughout the game, but he rarely had a big play, and certainly never broke loose. Not only that, but Coker was extremely limited in the passing game as well, save one or two big plays.

5) DON'T EVEN get me started on officiating. I'm so pissed I could

All in all, we've had a lot of things go wrong this year: injuries, poor execution, poor defense, dropped balls, and poor qb play. I'm never one to blame a single guy for a loss, but a better qb wins that game for us. At this point in the season, execution and defense are no longer an issue. I think if we can carry that over into next season and upgrade our wr and qb play, we will make some serious noise next year.

WDE

I agree except for your comment on Johnson. The mistakes he is making are the result of mechanics and/or reading, both of which could be attributable to poor coaching. If we hire a good qb coach, he may turn Johnson around.

Guys, guys! Why even settle for a dual threat QB? Let's just go after a triple threat quarterback and be done with this nonsense!

Main thing I learned after the IB was, if we even had marginal QB play, we beat bammer easily. Good WR play and we beat the crap out of them. Even with all the turmoil this team was in and had been through, they're not that far off from an SEC west champion caliber team. The eye test isn't always the best gauge. I feel like this team has the fight in them needed and this season as disappointing as it was for us to watch will pay dividends heading into next season. I won't make lofty predictions of a repeat of a 2013 type season, but if all but the seniors stay, we have a battle tested experienced group returning next season. A unit, that is still young and growing, but played like grown men on Saturday. I don't think this staff needs to change.

Just a thought about Jeremy... Do you think before the bama game the coaches told him to go down before he gets tackled to avoid getting hurt? I don't think they wanted to put an injured SW in again. He looked so scared of getting hit!! It reminded me of one of the younger kids in my neighborhood growing up when we played backyard football!!

Just a thought about Jeremy... Do you think before the bama game the coaches told him to go down before he gets tackled to avoid getting hurt? I don't think they wanted to put an injured SW in again. He looked so scared of getting hit!! It reminded me of one of the younger kids in my neighborhood growing up when we played backyard football!!

Imo, no. He's been playing scared all year.

Guys, guys! Why even settle for a dual threat QB? Let's just go after a triple threat quarterback and be done with this nonsense!

What's the 3rd threat? Selling concessions too? Punting?

Receiver... see Cam Newton catching a touchdown in 2010 and Nick Marshall catching his own pass for a big gain in 2013.

Well, now that you mention punting...... :-\

Receiver... see Cam Newton catching a touchdown in 2010 and Nick Marshall catching his own pass for a big gain in 2013.

:-) sweet!

Back in the old days with defense and quick kicks...it was run. pass and kick. I think that was in the days of the Single Wing offense....i recall seeing Johnny Majors at UTk playing tailback....and he was supposed to be a triple threat as was Paul Hornung who beat him out for the Heisman....but I like Lion's option these days.

A triple-threat tailback at the University of Tennessee, one of the last schools to use the single-wing rather than some version of the T formation, Majors was an All-American and runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 1956. Majors lost the Heisman Trophy to Paul Hornung, who starred for Notre Dame, which had a losing record (2–8). To date, this is the only time the Heisman Trophy has been awarded to a player on a losing team. Many fans of college football, particularly Tennessee fans, believe that Hornung won the Heisman because he played for the storied Notre Dame program, although Hornung did lead his team in passing, rushing, scoring, kickoff and punt returns, punting, and passes broken up and was second in interceptions and tackles made.

Gotta admit...that some pretty good stats....

Throw in blocking and make it a quadruple threat qb.

Cam essentially was that. All those double reverses with O-Mac, he had to pick up something.

Ok. We just need another Cam and problem solved.

Wasn't it in '09 bama went something like 6 or 8 games straight without being called for holding? Of course bama fans just claimed it was great coaching lol. Those same fans this year, (because they can't deny the holding) just state that holding occurs every play and is therefore inconsequential.

Archived