seccountry.com reporting

aubiefifty

Great insight and commentary by all (regarding defense and x's and o's). Who knows who we end up with but one thing that bothers me from the exchanges is this "player personnel" branch of our football program. If Coach Garner or Coach Thompson sees value in a player (Flex in this case) why in the hell is there an override from a branch of off the field coaches?

Flex, is this normal in College Football these days?

Thanks, and really, this is my first time dealing with something like this. In smaller colleges like Jacksonville State and A&M which I had come from, they didn't really have a branch of PP to make these decisions because there wasn't enough space on the payroll for such a superfluous branch. Heck JSU had trouble paying Coach Clark enough to really retain him so they had to pull out all the stops to keep Coach Grass from making that jump. And I definitely don't know because even at the Walk On tryouts Coach Garner had came over and focused his attention specifically on me and yet I guess player personnel saw it being as too much of a compliance issue to try to get and then file the waivers on my behalf for me to get my requisite 6th year to be eligible, instead just telling me to try and get it from my other schools. Maybe the coaches could have overruled it, or maybe they would have been checked by PP, either way the whole class of walk ons was RBs and Slot Receivers so that was disconcerting looking at our defense. Still, no vitriol to the guys who made it because they're living a dream, whether they stick on the roster or are cut.

Great conversation guys! (Much needed on this board right now!)

Another thing that I like about flexible sets is particular to our situation. We play in the same division as MS St, Ole Miss, and A&M. As well as bama, LSU, and Arkmart.

That's 3 power run offenses and 3 HUNH Spread"ish" offenses. We need to be able to beat both types of offenses.

Any base set has its strengths and weaknesses. I totally agree with many on here who have said a 4-2-5 isn't best suited for power run offenses, regardless of which variation of it you run.

The more traditional 7 man fronts are usually more susceptible to mismatches in the passing game vs HUNH offenses (slot receivers, more soft spots in zone, or they get stuck in one on ones vs the #1 receiver). --> Go back and watch 2013 bama game. That was Nick Marshall torching their defense!

So, basically, I want to see more flexibility to put our best 11 guys on the field in a position to be successful against the variety of well-coached and very athletic offenses that we face in our league.

Also, "our best 11" will likely be different based on the offensive match up.

A good DC who can provide this flexibility so that we can defend these various offenses well is good with me. I don't care what his "base set philosophy" is.

I can understand that much, it's really easy to get caught sleeping in a base formation, though with the recruiting, so many great players are drawn to these types of defenses that you have a better chance of reeling in a super athletic LB that isn't a liability in coverage, or a massive safety that can coexist in nickel sets and play like a LB when called upon to do it. In 4-2-5 bases, you'll get what is left and typically you either can develop them into the players you want, or they simply don't flourish like many of the big names.

Flex, if coaching isn't in the cards for you (because you don't believe your playing days are over), have you considered professional ball? I am sure you have, but you never know. Don't become me. I sustained too many injuries throughout my career, and wound up playing again at 40 y/o. The game was so engrained in me I couldn't let it go. though healthy at the time, I reinjured some things that were not easy to get over at that age. Attack and take advantage while you are still young. Regardless of your decision, good luck! I believe you have what it takes to succeed in whatever you do. A few doors open along the way, and you will be the success you have always wanted to be. God Bless, and WE!

Trust me, I've had several injuries and yet at the same time I still can't bring myself to stop (Back to back knee surgeries on the same knee in consecutive years). A lot of my friends from my older schools have went on to play pro ball. Ealy, Pierre Warren, TJ Heath, Alan Bonner, ect. I've definitely been intrigued by the prospect of finishing my degree this upcoming fall and moving to a city with an Arena team and simply sticking there while working. I appreciate the well wishes, though while I'm at Auburn, I'd definitely just like to see the guys who are on the team and coming into their last years to succeed and have a good season. The worst thing is to end your college career, whether they go on to the professional environment or not, with a losing season. That's one thing to consider when talking about these "building phases" and what not. It's the eligibility and future of many young players with aspirations that hangs in the balance. People will have lifetimes to be fans, though players only have a small opportunity to play this game before their seasons run out, or their body breaks down.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a chance the Birmingham Bowl could be an audition for Lance Thompson and he could end up being our DC? it would be a lot cheaper and I think he would run a similar defense as that guy that went to USCe

I'd say if it's not decided by the time the bowl game arrives, LT is the likely replacement regardless.

Is there a chance the Birmingham Bowl could be an audition for Lance Thompson and he could end up being our DC? it would be a lot cheaper and I think he would run a similar defense as that guy that went to USCe

Most likely scenario at this point...

flex, if you don't mind my asking, why aren't you playing anymore? Sounds like you have the acumen, and if that pic is of you, the size.......

That's a tough situation to really explain. And yeah, that's me lol. Basically they had an offensive preference with taking the walk ons when I transferred and we only found out later that I wouldn't be able to get my 6th year unless I was on the team, which unfortunately I need to be able to tryout again. My old schools won't be able to put it in for me either, due to rules or staff shortages. So I'm pretty much dead in the water now.

And yeah, It's rare to find a 6'4 ILB I've heard.

Flex I am being very serious here. With your knowledge and athletic size, if you don't march right down there and sit in either Lance, Rodney or Gus's office and present yourself, then you are doing yourself (and them) a disservice. You have too much going for you to do less. They can help you with the eligibility stuff but, even if you cant get that back, with your knowledge there are ways for you to benefit the program right now. After that they can open other doors for you.

I agree 100%

Too much knowledge to let it go to waste

Just saw where Mike Ekeler, LB coach at UGA, is leaving to pursue unspecified DC opportunities...just throwing sticks on the fire

Coach Ekeler is a ole Bo Pelini guy. I'm not sure he's ready to be a DC at the SEC level but who knows?

Maybe Bo Pelini. We could still have that fiery attitude.

please yes

Bleh. Not all fiery attitudes are alike.

Maybe Bo Pelini. We could still have that fiery attitude.

please yes

Bleh. Not all fiery attitudes are alike.

Forget Pelini. Tom Allen will be named Auburn's new DC after South Florida plays its bowl game next Monday. Yabo knows coaching searches.

I'd rather we keep the defensive scheme we have now. Poor players have had to adjust their whole career to new schemes.

Beggars can't be choosers.

This is not a well sought out position. 6 dcs in 5 years with really no one having success.

Even big timers like van Gorder and wm were anemic.

The problem is bigger.

If CGM really told that recruit we'd have a DC named by today, he needs to name somebody.

And if LT is the best we can muster, get him a starter DC whistle, some big boy coaching pants and trot him out there.

It was naive of me to believe Muschamp saying he'd be here for the long haul, but I did.

If Gus said today, he needs to make it happen.

We need honesty and my refresh button is worn out.

If CGM really told that recruit we'd have a DC named by today, he needs to name somebody.

And if LT is the best we can muster, get him a starter DC whistle, some big boy coaching pants and trot him out there.

It was naive of me to believe Muschamp saying he'd be here for the long haul, but I did.

If Gus said today, he needs to make it happen.

We need honesty and my refresh button is worn out.

He said he hoped it would be today. Never made any promises so chill a bit eh?

I'd rather we keep the defensive scheme we have now. Poor players have had to adjust their whole career to new schemes.

Beggars can't be choosers.

This is not a well sought out position. 6 dcs in 5 years with really no one having success.

Even big timers like van Gorder and wm were anemic.

The problem is bigger.

As usual, a ray of sunshine. My goodness you must be miserable.

If we didn't offer T-Rob the position I doubt Lance gets the nod unless we are rejected by 3 or 4 others. Both guys are equally underqualified for the position. Unless I'm missing that LT was a DC somewhere

If we didn't offer T-Rob the position I doubt Lance gets the nod unless we are rejected by 3 or 4 others. Both guys are equally underqualified for the position. Unless I'm missing that LT was a DC somewhere

You did. DC for HC O'Leary at UCF for 3 years, '04-'06.

Ah thanks! How was his defense during that time?

There is a good discussion on it in the Lance Thompson thread. Mixed reviews is probably the best way to characterize it. Of course that was 9 years ago and he has acquired a lot more coaching experience since then. Lance is a good coach imo along with being a good recruiter.

There is a good discussion on it in the Lance Thompson thread. Mixed reviews is probably the best way to characterize it. Of course that was 9 years ago and he has acquired a lot more coaching experience since then. Lance is a good coach imo along with being a good recruiter.

True. Thanks for the info.

We currently have a top 10 class without a DC. I have to say that Coach Thompson and Coach Garner are working their proverbial tales off. Whoever comes in cannot replace these two.

We currently have a top 10 class without a DC. I have to say that Coach Thompson and Coach Garner are working their proverbial tales off. Whoever comes in cannot replace these two.

Those two coaches have been working really great together and have done one fantastic job for Gus and Auburn. If I was Gus I wouldn't mess with those 2, in fact, if things go well in practice and the the bowl game, it makes you wonder if we wouldn't be better off to just......... ;D

Those two coaches have been working really great together and have done one fantastic job for Gus and Auburn. If I was Gus I wouldn't mess with those 2, in fact, if things go well in practice and the the bowl game, it makes you wonder if we wouldn't be better off to just......... ;D

Worth considering....takes guts with this fan base to NOT go after some big name DC.....since most people apparently don't remember that "big name" coaches have not necessarily gotten it done.

What if guess went with Lance and Rodney in a Co D coordinator type of role? This will give both guys an opportunity to be in charge, without having to do too much too soon. It will also be a way to assure you have them stick around and bring in their recruits.

What if guess went with Lance and Rodney in a Co D coordinator type of role? This will give both guys an opportunity to be in charge, without having to do too much too soon. It will also be a way to assure you have them stick around and bring in their recruits.

I think you must have one person with ultimate responsibility....and a good DC like Allen would make my day ...but I'd like to see as little turnover as possible otherwise. There is room for a new DC to bring some of "his" people without turning things totally upside down.

Archived