Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have sources within the program just like WDE, Altima, etc. I can tell you from what I have heard that this means really bad news for the program. For those in the "he wasn't that great of a coach" train, you are foolish. Dameyune Craig is one of the best offensive minds in the country. Rhett can't hold his jock strap. The coaching staff is literally pulling on both ends of the rope. Yes, our receivers were bad this year. That is because we had no talent. When Ricardo Louis is your "go to" receiver, you are in a world of trouble.

Like Altima said, Gus' inability to get rid of Rhett, is going to lead to his downfall. I dare say that Dameyune is more valuable to this program than Gus or Rhett combined. No, he is not ready to be a head coach. But, he should be our OC without a doubt. Hearing from those close to the program, Rhett may be the worst OC AU has ever had as far as developing players and on field coaching.

I was told Dameyune basically took a demotion (although he got a raise) to come to AU because he loves AU and Gus promised him the OC job eventually. Gus was convinced that Rhett would be a HC somewhere within a few years. When it all went south last season and Rhett should have been fired, Gus decided to hang on to him, thus sealing his fate. AU could have a great season in 2016 and Gus could be retained. But the major effect of this fiasco will come next year in recruiting because Mobile will be all but shut off to AU.

I love AU just like each and every one of you. But, this is the worst possible news to come out of Auburn football in a while. This is definitely worse than Muschamp/Robinson leaving. Those I have spoken with have shared these same sentiments.

Yes, Auburn is bigger than one man. But, allowing a former legend walk out of Auburn for a lateral position is a crushing blow to this program.

That’s all I got.

I have sources within the program just like WDE, Altima, etc. I can tell you from what I have heard that this means really bad news for the program. For those in the "he wasn't that great of a coach" train, you are foolish. Dameyune Craig is one of the best offensive minds in the country. Rhett can't hold his jock strap. The coaching staff is literally pulling on both ends of the rope. Yes, our receivers were bad this year. That is because we had no talent. When Ricardo Louis is your "go to" receiver, you are in a world of trouble.

Like Altima said, Gus' inability to get rid of Rhett, is going to lead to his downfall. I dare say that Dameyune is more valuable to this program than Gus or Rhett combined. No, he is not ready to be a head coach. But, he should be our OC without a doubt. Hearing from those close to the program, Rhett may be the worst OC AU has ever had as far as developing players and on field coaching.

I was told Dameyune basically took a demotion (although he got a raise) to come to AU because he loves AU and Gus promised him the OC job eventually. Gus was convinced that Rhett would be a HC somewhere within a few years. When it all went south last season and Rhett should have been fired, Gus decided to hang on to him, thus sealing his fate. AU could have a great season in 2016 and Gus could be retained. But the major effect of this fiasco will come next year in recruiting because Mobile will be all but shut off to AU.

I love AU just like each and every one of you. But, this is the worst possible news to come out of Auburn football in a while. This is definitely worse than Muschamp/Robinson leaving. Those I have spoken with have shared these same sentiments.

Yes, Auburn is bigger than one man. But, allowing a former legend walk out of Auburn for a lateral position is a crushing blow to this program.

That’s all I got.

That's difficult to read, in many ways.

That’s all I got.

That's difficult to read, in many ways.

Yep, the writing is on the wall. Gus has to win the West or he is gone. Jay Jacobs has to go now. He should have never allowed RL to be hired as the OC. Everyone questioned the hire when it happened.

I know nothing about coaching football, but why has he not gone to an OC spot if he is such a great offensive mind?

I can see how this bodes poorly for the coming season, but at the same time when the QB coach is blamed for bad plays, shouldn't the WR coach also be blamed for poor performance?

I got a bad feeling about this and am trying to rationalize how this is not an omen

I have not been told whether he was in the running for any OC jobs (I will ask), but why leave if you are next in line at your alma mater? With Rhett's poor performance, he should have been let go. Normally, in a down year like AU had, the head coach makes changes. That was not the case this year. All coaches that left did so on their own accord. Gus did not fire anyone this season.

I know nothing about coaching football, but why has he not gone to an OC spot if he is such a great offensive mind?

I can see how this bodes poorly for the coming season, but at the same time when the QB coach is blamed for bad plays, shouldn't the WR coach also be blamed for poor performance?

I got a bad feeling about this and am trying to rationalize how this is not an omen

Well, you're on exactly the right track.

The story goes that CDC was hired only for his recruiting ability, not to do any real coaching. Because CDC actually thinks he can coach, he didn't like being limited in that way and became part of the problem by agitating for more power, instead of part of the solution by staying out of Gus's way.

So, Gus let's CDC go, and it's a win-win: CDC gets his freedom, and we hire someone who won't make waves among the coaches.

The real problem with this is when you step back and look at what CDC brings compared to what Kodi, or CRL, brings.

Gus is a great offensive mind. His managerial mind needs work though.

I know Keesler and I have been saying this for a few years that Gus is training on the job but I think this is the key moment where we see that he truly isn't ready. We are trending downward. And trending even faster now.

Those who are saying the reaction is overblown remind me of those in 2012 who were sooo confident the wheels weren't falling off even though there were big red signs pointing towards it.

The story goes that CDC was hired only for his recruiting ability, not to do any real coaching. Because CDC actually thinks he can coach, he didn't like being limited in that way and became part of the problem by agitating for more power, instead of part of the solution by staying out of Gus's way.

So, Gus let's CDC go, and it's a win-win: CDC gets his freedom, and we hire someone who won't make waves among the coaches.

The real problem with this is when you step back and look at what CDC brings compared to what Kodi, or CRL, brings.

yep

The Elephant in the Room:

How much of this goes back to Duke Williams?

Yes, there was the issue that CDC supposedly would be more involved in the offense in 2015. He had disagreements with CGM and CRL and they parted ways.

But here is my question: On the Duke Williams issues, at each step, who was advocating for another chance for Duke, and who was advocating to cut ties to Duke Williams?

We can throw accusations around: QB play was horrible, WRs couldn't catch the ball. But the one common thread was Duke Williams. Myron Burton, A-Day MVP leaves team--people blame his departure on CGM allowing Duke Williams back on team. Duke Williams roommate was Jeremy Johnson--Did Duke's issues personally impact JJ? WRs were never in the game--some blamed that on the Duke Williams issues, using terms like "cancer".

So here is my question: Who from the coaching staff was the "Bad Cop", or heavy, to Duke Williams, and who was the "Good Cop"? And did that manifest itself over the course of the season as an issue on the coaching staff?

Was CDC saying "Trust me, I can't deal with this guy", and was CRL or CGM saying "Do your job and straighten this guy out"? Was CDC saying "Duke is a game changer, give him another chance", and CRL or CGM saying "I'm done with him"?

I am not saying it was Duke Williams alone, but if we buy into the idea Duke Williams poisoned at least the WR corps, if not the whole team, then it had to have some repercussions on the coaching staff.

So true....almost choked when I saw that comment about a guy who far as I know has never made a game plan, and in fact may never have called a play in a game. Been a position coach with questionable results......and all of a sudden he's an offensive genius ?

Time for us to get a good WR coach....perhaps Horton is the guy. And interesting that RL is now the scapegoat for all problems at AU....probably the guy who lead Duke and RIcky Parks astray.

Good point.

That’s all I got.

Well, if you remember this AU legend was at not first coming to AU from FSU until he got more money. So his love for AU had a price. To say he is more valuable than Gus is laughable. And while our receivers talent was so-so last year, a coach shows his real ability when he gets more out of less. That did not happen.

Coaches come and go. I am indifferent about him leaving. Yes he is a good recruiter, but most assistant are and have to be today.

Yes, there was the issue that CDC supposedly would be more involved in the offense in 2015. He had disagreements with CGM and CRL and they parted ways.

But here is my question: On the Duke Williams issues, at each step, who was advocating for another chance for Duke, and who was advocating to cut ties to Duke Williams?

We can throw accusations around: QB play was horrible, WRs couldn't catch the ball. But the one common thread was Duke Williams. Myron Burton, A-Day MVP leaves team--people blame his departure on CGM allowing Duke Williams back on team. Duke Williams roommate was Jeremy Johnson--Did Duke's issues personally impact JJ? WRs were never in the game--some blamed that on the Duke Williams issues, using terms like "cancer".

So here is my question: Who from the coaching staff was the "Bad Cop", or heavy, to Duke Williams, and who was the "Good Cop"? And did that manifest itself over the course of the season as an issue on the coaching staff?

Was CDC saying "Trust me, I can't deal with this guy", and was CRL or CGM saying "Do your job and straighten this guy out"? Was CDC saying "Duke is a game changer, give him another chance", and CRL or CGM saying "I'm done with him"?

I am not saying it was Duke Williams alone, but if we buy into the idea Duke Williams poisoned at least the WR corps, if not the whole team, then it had to have some repercussions on the coaching staff.

When your head coach won't address problems because said said coach does not like dealing with problems is not a thing you want from you head coach. Players, football related & staff related.

I have not been told whether he was in the running for any OC jobs (I will ask), but why leave if you are next in line at your alma mater? With Rhett's poor performance, he should have been let go. Normally, in a down year like AU had, the head coach makes changes. That was not the case this year. All coaches that left did so on their own accord. Gus did not fire anyone this season.

Gibson, I respect your opinion and those of your sources, but if we are at a point where everyone involved goes into panic mode because an OC isn't fired after one down year after two great offensive years, the coaches may not be the problem.

That’s all I got.

Well, if you remember this AU legend was at not first coming to AU from FSU until he got more money. So his love for AU had a price. To say he is more valuable than Gus is laughable. And while our receivers talent was so-so last year, a coach shows his real ability when he gets more out of less. That did not happen.

Coaches come and go. I am indifferent about him leaving. Yes he is a good recruiter, but most assistant are and have to be today.

DC was told how & what to do with coaching the WR's by Gus and Rhette. Routes, techniques ect.

According to Cole Cubelic, DC has been looking around for over a month. Be thankful that Craig is professional.

^^This^^ more like 2 months but he was hoping things could be worked out. One of the reasons for leaving was he became frustrated with having little input into the offense game plan/play calling. He did turn down the UGA offer.

Gus is on the hot seat weather you believe it or not. He has made he choices and will either make it or not this year

Auburn will go on but this will make it very challenging.

Gibson, I respect your opinion and those of your sources, but if we are at a point where everyone involved goes into panic mode because an OC isn't fired after one down year after two great offensive years, the coaches may not be the problem.

Tell me one thing Rhette has done at AU in the last two years. And how many recruits did he get on signing day this year? I'll hang up and listen.

According to Cole Cubelic, DC has been looking around for over a month. Be thankful that Craig is professional.

^^This^^ more like 2 months but he was hoping things could be worked out. One of the reasons for leaving was he became frustrated with having little input into the offense game plan/play calling. He did turn down the UGA offer.

Gus is on the hot seat weather you believe it or not. He has made he choices and will either make it or not this year

Auburn will go on but this will make it very challenging.

This 100%. And its just not Gus's job on the line IMO. One if not both Jay's jobs are also on the line.

I believe this move will all but rot the current program from within.....but I hope I'm wrong.

WAR DAMN EAGLE! I'll be cheering as hard as ever......hope it's for the right reasons.

When your head coach won't address problems because said said coach does not like dealing with problems is not a thing you want from you head coach. Players, football related & staff related.

I thought the story back then was that GM wanted Duke gone but DC talked him into giving Duke another chance. Am I remembering it wrong? I'm sure someone remembers it better than I do.

CDC has always been a recruiter. I would note he had an odd position at FSU: QB coach who was NOT also the OC. Also, I question how much of a QB coach CDC was at FSU. Jimbo Fisher was the former OC and QB coach. CJF called the plays. I also believe CJF was heavily involved in coaching QBs, much like the HBC and Bobby Petrino. CJF's OC was an OC in name only. Likewise, CDC probably shared coaching QBs with CJF, in order to let CDC focus on recruiting.

Part of the appeal to going to AU for CDC may have been the promise of being more involved in play calling, and ultimately it did not work out.

Assistant coaches move for their own reasons. Many times they change schools at the top of their game. Part of the reason they do this is to get experience under different HCs. This is considered a good way to prepare to be an HC some day. Only CDC knows what CDC thinks his next step, and the step after that, should be.

I do not think CDC was ever in the running to replace CRL if CRL left. Bobby Bentley was rumored to be the one to replace CRL if CRL left.

You'll probably get blasted some by a couple of our AU brethren but I think you bring up an interesting thought here. There is a lot of smoke here and I think there are several issues that are connected when it comes to the issue of CDC leaving.

To 80Tiger, Rhett is not a good recruiter. Dameyune is not a WR coach. Like it has been said in this thread, titles can be deceiving. Dameyune was brought in as a co oc. Like Rob Pate said, his ideas fell on deaf ears. Lashlee is not a DI OC. This is a lot deeper than what it being shown on the surface.

That’s all I got.

DC was told how & what to do with coaching the WR's by Gus and Rhette. Routes, techniques ect.

So any success with WR last year or in upcoming years will e Gus's? Right?

Archived