Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

Let's not be questioning Craig's love for Auburn. Let us also keep in mind that Craig took a lateral move, it's not like he got a promotion. The "career advancement" stuff was him taking the high ground and reports are he is making similar money. So for those that want to psychoanalyze this, ask yourself a few questions.

Ask yourself why would he do that ? Why did he get to the point that he was willing to take a lateral move ? Did he try to make things better over the last year but was finally convinced it would never happen ? Rather than rationalize and question his abilities as a WR coach, he was a QB coach btw, think about why he would be willing to make a lateral move in the first place.

As far as his WRs, in case you didn't notice, the last 2 years Craig has been recruiting WRs to Auburn that actually PLAYED the position in HS. This, as opposed to much of what he had when he got here, converted QBs and baseball players. His last WR class was the culmination of 2 years of hard work to make that happen. Auburn will benefit from that. We should EXPECT the pass catching ability to be improved this year because of the type of players he brought in, actual quality WRs.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing Craig is not a big deal since Auburn's recruiting was good before he arrived and will still be good although he is gone.

No big deal; we just lost our best Mobile recruiter and our best Florida recruiter. LOL.

Our WR recruiting was dynamite before Craig, right?

I am with you 100% on that. That is big and KB cannot replace it.

And our QB recruiting would be dynamite if he was coaching that position!!!

It was just a situation where it did not workout.....too many philosophical differences. Not sure why someone has to be the bad guy. Craig and Gus just did not mesh and the offense suffered greatly. They have moved on, we can debate this until spring practice then we can find something else to disagree about.

I have no question that he fondly remembers Auburn and his time in school. I do question whether he has (or even should have) any "love" for Auburn professionally. It's never shown up that I can tell. No one thought he was showing love when he was bombing on the program at FSU.

Regardless, what's the LOL ratio for meta/cole compared to the rest of the board? Are they constantly laughing out loud while reading posts? Is it a giggle/chuckle situation or are the literally cackling like two maniacs? These are the important questions.

Mcgufcm I don't think anybody cares that you don't like lol. Why would you ask somebody else what I think? I usually do it when I laugh at a statement sometimes I say I laughed....sometimes I use it when I don't want to argue but the statement was dumb.

But lol that lol bothers you

It was just a situation where it did not workout.....too many philosophical differences. Not sure why someone has to be the bad guy. Craig and Gus just did not mesh and the offense suffered greatly. They have moved on, we can debate this until spring practice then we can find something else to disagree about.

Wait? Why would Gus bring someone like CDC as CO-OC for them to split because of "too many philosophical differences"? Wouldn't that be one of your biggest points of emphasis before hiring a guy? I mean this is not like a Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin deal. Gus is the guru of the offense and surely he would want to bring in someone that ultimately would stand side by side with him from a schematic standpoint. That is management 101.

Wait? Why would Gus bring someone like CDC as CO-OC for them to split because of "too many philosophical differences"? Wouldn't that be one of your biggest points of emphasis before hiring a guy? I mean this is not like a Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin deal. Gus is the guru of the offense and surely he would want to bring in someone that ultimately would stand side by side with him from a schematic standpoint. That is management 101.

he threw in the co-oc as a sweetener. He just needed his recruiting.

Exactly and we let one of our best recruiters just walk out the door. I can understand not being strong armed, but there is something more underneath the scenes.

meta, LOLOLOL at the thought of Dameyune bending over backward for Auburn. (Did I do that right? If I could cut one piece of stupidity out of Internet dialogue, it would be LOL. Basically, every time I read it, I think of a 15 year-old child, and that affects my interpretation of everything that follows it.)

There is nothing in Craig's professional past that even hints at his willingness to forgo a better situation for the benefit of Auburn. Given everything he's ever done in his coaching career, I'm going to assume he followed the same pattern and turned down a job that he didn't want. Then, he took the job that he did want. LSU kept Tony Ball around until after signing day and replaced him in about 11 hours with Craig. Personal opinion, it would be silly to believe those moves were not done in concert. Dameyune knew he was taking that job before Ball ever "left." Craig made a business decision about where he'd like to be, and he chose LSU over Auburn and UGA. Nothing more.

LOL!

Seriously, I am trying to get lqtm (laughing quietly to myself) started as an alternative, because I think that is what is most likely happening when people post, "lol". It stinks of honesty. Like when you went off on , "lol", I was lqtm.

Exactly and we let one of our best recruiters just walk out the door. I can understand not being strong armed, but there is something more underneath the scenes.

How "let him walk out"? If the offense here isn't an offense he wants to coach in what should we have done to keep him? Fire everybody else and name Craig the Dictator of Offense? He left because he wanted to and there's nothing an employer can do if an employee wants to work at a different place.

About his alleged love for AU: How soon everyone has forgotten the mud Craig was slinging about Auburn when he was recruiting for FSU. He's always done what he needed to do to advance himself. That's admirable, but don't get any "love for AU" involved in it. Craig certainly hasn't let any love for AU effect his professional decisions.

Explain a bit more please. I'm saying I can't see how a conclusion can be made losing DC isn't a big deal, but at the same time saying lashlee is very important to this offense....as far as me not understanding that logic in those two conclusions they are mutually exclusive

First, lets have you post a link to the statement :"Lashlee is very important to this offense." I don't recall seeing anyone post this, and how can someone possibly defend a statement that was never made?

Let's not be questioning Craig's love for Auburn. Let us also keep in mind that Craig took a lateral move, it's not like he got a promotion. The "career advancement" stuff was him taking the high ground and reports are he is making similar money. So for those that want to psychoanalyze this, ask yourself a few questions.

Ask yourself why would he do that ? Why did he get to the point that he was willing to take a lateral move ? Did he try to make things better over the last year but was finally convinced it would never happen ? Rather than rationalize and question his abilities as a WR coach, he was a QB coach btw, think about why he would be willing to make a lateral move in the first place.

As far as his WRs, in case you didn't notice, the last 2 years Craig has been recruiting WRs to Auburn that actually PLAYED the position in HS. This, as opposed to much of what he had when he got here, converted QBs and baseball players. His last WR class was the culmination of 2 years of hard work to make that happen. Auburn will benefit from that. We should EXPECT the pass catching ability to be improved this year because of the type of players he brought in, actual quality WRs.

Very spot on. So happy when we started recruiting true WRs instead of former QBs or just ATHs. Some work out and some don't. It seemed like more didn't work out as far not being consistent and taking them longer to actually produce results.

We obviously lost a tremendous recruiter in DC. The WR position has been inconsistent at best as long as he's been here, but the insiders here are saying that his hands were basically tied, so I'll give him a pass. His replacement has been a position coach for, what, three years max? Not sure how well he can recruit; he might need his on-the-field-product to do the coaching for him for a year or two. Time will tell I suppose.

As for Lashlee, does anyone here REALLY know how much he does or doesn't contribute, ie: when he calls plays and when he doesn't? Or whether he can actually coach a QB or not? I've seen a lot of opining on the matter, but no actually evidence to back up their claim.

How "let him walk out"? If the offense here isn't an offense he wants to coach in what should we have done to keep him? Fire everybody else and name Craig the Dictator of Offense? He left because he wanted to and there's nothing an employer can do if an employee wants to work at a different place.

About his alleged love for AU: How soon everyone has forgotten the mud Craig was slinging about Auburn when he was recruiting for FSU. He's always done what he needed to do to advance himself. That's admirable, but don't get any "love for AU" involved in it. Craig certainly hasn't let any love for AU effect his professional decisions.

Get real Mikey. Craig loves Auburn as much as you and I do, there is no need to go there. He didn't advance himself with this move either. At FSU he did his job. When he had to go head to head with AU for a recruit it was easy for him. He didn't even have to negative recruit against Gene Chizik.

A few valid points in a sea of insanity (for the most part anyway)

1) Maybe Craig resents being worked like a rented mule while playing football at Auburn. For those who don't remember every play was everybody go out for a pass and Craig either run or scramble around until somebody got open.

1a) Why would Stephen Davis who is probably the most under utilized player player ever on Auburn's football roster even consider letting his son go to Auburn? I guess his career in the NFL has a lot to do with that.

2) Anyone besides me think this might have something to do with the Steele hire. Sure the average corndog was glad to get rid of him but the athletic department might not be so forgiving. LSU owns recruiting in the state of Louisiana. Why do they need great recruiters?

Just making a case for it having more to do with business than loyalty.

Archived