JJ with first team O

Charhair

As for Sean, how can it not be at least an eye brow raiser? He was QB1 the last half of the season when he was healthy.

Because it's the 4th practice of the Spring... the order in which they try QBs out with the ones could be determined by all manner of reasons that have nothing to to with who will start in the Fall.

The most likely answer as WDE said is Gus being Gus. Finding QB1 should be the main goal to strive for at the end & it should be reflective in practices even in Spring. I'm all for JJ if he earns the job but there is no reason he should be in front of Sean right now.

Agree to disagree. I don't think anyone is "in front" of anyone right now. They are likely rotating to see where everyone is, and if you are doing that, and have to pick an order for who goes first, the most senior candidate makes plenty of sense. Plus... like I said... if Jeremy is ever going to get his confidence back, he needs the show of support that he wouldn't get if he didn't go first.

The best thing that happened to JJ was his roommate Duke being kicked off the team. 15 practices is not a lot of time to rotate guys like you think is happening. Going first or not should not make or break JJ's confidence. If that were the case he would not be strong enough mentally to be an effective QB 1 anyway. No matter the order, the best thing for JJ is Duke is out of his head. His confidence if it's to come, will be from his performance, no matter the order.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Sean, how can it not be at least an eye brow raiser? He was QB1 the last half of the season when he was healthy.

Because it's the 4th practice of the Spring... the order in which they try QBs out with the ones could be determined by all manner of reasons that have nothing to to with who will start in the Fall.

The most likely answer as WDE said is Gus being Gus. Finding QB1 should be the main goal to strive for at the end & it should be reflective in practices even in Spring. I'm all for JJ if he earns the job but there is no reason he should be in front of Sean right now.

Agree to disagree. I don't think anyone is "in front" of anyone right now. They are likely rotating to see where everyone is, and if you are doing that, and have to pick an order for who goes first, the most senior candidate makes plenty of sense. Plus... like I said... if Jeremy is ever going to get his confidence back, he needs the show of support that he wouldn't get if he didn't go first.

The best thing that happened to JJ was his roommate Duke being kicked off the team. 15 practices is not a lot of time to rotate guys like you think is happening. Going first or not should not make or break JJ's confidence. If that were the case he would not be strong enough mentally to be an effective QB 1 anyway. No matter the order, the best thing for JJ is Duke is out of his head. His confidence if it's to come, will be from his performance, no matter the order.

Can't disagree at all about Duke. He was obviously a cancer, and it appears he still is... Fortunately now he's just a cancer to himself.

As for Jeremy's confidence, it's already broken, which was obvious on the field last year. Speaking strictly psychologically, if he is going to get it back, then Gus is going to have to provide a smooth course for him to rebuild it in live action. Letting him go first is the logical step in that direction. Even if it's just subconsciously, it's Gus proving that he's going to get a shot.

Personally, I still think Sean or John will be our QB next year, but I'm all for giving Jeremy a real shot at it. He has serious potential, he just needs the swagger.

On the rotation question... if I was coaching, each guy would get 1-2 runs with the first team (we only know who ran it while the media was there, yesterday, Sean may have run it after they left), leading up to scrimmage 1, so I could get a feel for who was clicking best. Then, starting first scrimmage, a pecking order would form.

3 pages about who Gus let take 1st string reps in front of media? The king of coach speak and hiding things from the media would surely not show them who the starting QB is. What's funniest about this is that I just knew a bunch of folks would actually read something into it. Lmao.

JJ had all kinds of trouble last year. Why in same hill would Malzahn and Lashlee want to give him another year at QB. Move him to either WR, TE or LB.

JJ had all kinds of trouble last year. Why in same hill would Malzahn and Lashlee want to give him another year at QB. Move him to either WR, TE or LB.

Experience, time in the system, knowledge. Take your pick. I am not for writing JJ off yet this year. JF3 still has to earn it.

Ben Leard played almost as bad as JJ did last season when he was a sophomore -- his first year as starter. Then he really turned it around to be a very solid QB. I'm hoping JJ can do the same. Nothing will light a fire under your butt quite like the type of season JJ had last year. If he has it in him that surely will have put his motivation into over drive.

My 5 year old son does this all the time. His brother and sister just cannot believe the meltdowns this kid is capable of. I have to explain to him the difference between mountain and molehill.

Jeremy took the last snap in the bowl game and was arguably the difference in the game for Auburn. He threw for a TD and ran for one.

If I'm Gus and that is the most recent sample of his ability, then, hell yes, Jeremy is No. 1 right out the chute.

Auburn has two QBs coming off serious injuries that don't need to be subjected to full contact right now and a guy who has only been exposed to the offense for 8-9 weeks and has no experience in the SEC.

Not saying Jeremy will end up the starter in the fall, but it is certainly his job to lose at this juncture.

Not saying Jeremy will end up the starter in the fall, but it is certainly his job to lose at this juncture.

Have to disagree there. It's no one's job to lose. All 4 guys are in an equal position where they have to prove they deserve it. Its not defaulting to anyone. Jeremy and Sean have the experience advantage, but I believe completely that Gus is going to give everyone a shot because he does not want a repeat of last year. You better believe he's going to give Queen a shot and if he gets out there and owns it better than the other three, he'll start. Same goes for Sean and John. Jeremy just got the first shot that people were allowed to watch.

If anyone has ever been on a sports team, of any kind, they should understand that when there is an open competition for spots seniors will always get the first reps. That's one of the perks of being a senior.

Who's saying that yesterday's time with the 1st team were the first reps overall? Have there not been 3 practices prior to this one? Who's to say that JFIII or Sean or Tyler didn't get 1st team reps in those other practices. I have a hard time believing Auburn hasn't practiced any "first team" or "second team" lineups in 3 practices until now. I think this is guys getting split reps to see what fits. Perhaps it was just a change up for the time being - again, we're still pretty early on in practice. As others have said, Monty Adams not being with the 1s is also telling in terms of supposed starters not playing. That's why I'm not too worried about it yet.

Same goes for Roc but unlike QB, I'd think that JR would have nailed that beast down by now. I do think Roc needs more touches, just not as the primary back.

I don't think he is in front...he just took reps with the first group. I think all of them will get that chance. Can't believe the panic button is being pushed off the 4th practice...spring practice at that.

People are starved for information right now. So starved, that when the media reports JJ was #1 after their little 15 minute viewing of a freaking spring practice panic commences in here.

We have a new oline coach still learning his players ---- we have a new WR coach trying to get his feet under him ---- need I mention he entirely new defensive staff?

Have some patience ~ AU is still on a rough and bumpy road.

What it means is either jj isn't as bad as everybody says or SW isn't as good as everybody says.....

Also I have no problem with roc starting, thing about roc is staying healthy. If he's not healthy he won't be out there anyway but it's not like he's played bad and sucked when he was out there. It's just one practice though.

I also don't see how people act like jj sucked because of duke....

People are starved for information right now. So starved, that when the media reports JJ was #1 after their little 15 minute viewing of a freaking spring practice panic commences in here.

We have a new oline coach still learning his players ---- we have a new WR coach trying to get his feet under him ---- need I mention he entirely new defensive staff?

My guy was there the whole time. Said JJ took 85% of the snap with the 1's. I asked if JJ looked better. My guy said "hell no". No way to spin this one.

And he also said "Roc sure can spin nice".

All that preseason hype, Heisman talk,etc.... Gus wasn't the only one who missed on evaluating JJ. Everyone else did too.

It'll be fine, y'all.

My guy was there the whole time. Said JJ took 85% of the snap with the 1's. I asked if JJ looked better. My guy said "hell no". No way to spin this one.

So why are we giving JJ so many snaps? Is it really because none of them look any better?

Gus doesn't seem to know what he's doing (at this juncture). He let his personal relationships get in the way of keeping Craig, he didn't offer T-Rob or Lance Thompson the DC position (as far as I've heard), and as of this offseason, he can't seem to develop a QB if it doesn't fall into his lap. He may very well prove me wrong if JF3 has "looked good," but IF he needs to be fired this year, can we FINALLY get rid of Jacobs too?

I'm no JJ fan. I realized his true lack of potential the day he came out with a long sleeve T-shirt and those baggy sleeves under his pads. I mean come on man, tell me the last player who was good dressed like that? Doesn't that automatically make you ineffective?

(Sarcasm) (sort of)

^^^ hahaha...it is weird though that some players choose the loose sleeves. Seems to be something to grab on to for the defense

Maybe they are insecure about how their arms look in the skin tight undershirts?

JFIII making noise

What it means is either jj isn't as bad as everybody says or SW isn't as good as everybody says.....

This is my point exactly. Jeremy played less "bad" than Sean in the last game, so he is going to be the first given the chance to prove he should be the starter. However, that could quickly change.

Even though finding a starting QB is priority #1, I think this competition is going deep into August, maybe into the season. Neither Jeremy nor Sean quieted the controversy last fall, and I see no reason to believe that won't continue. If John is destined to win the job, I doubt he will in the spring just because he has so much catching up to do. Until someone begins to separate from the pack, Gus believes Jeremy gives us the best chance to win, because of his experience and durability, at least until proven otherwise. And I don't think Sean played well enough to create that separation last fall to give him the first shot in the spring. He was more of a change of pace than the clear-cut starter. I'm not rooting for anyone in particular, I just think that when there are several guys vying for the same position, SEC head coaches typically go with the one who has the most experience.

I fully expect Gus to bench the best players b/c he has no clue how to coach football. He doesn't know what it takes to win in this league. :bananadance:

Everything said about JJ is correct... he doesn't have it.

When Jeremy knew he was the 'for sure' back up, his frosh and sophomore seasons, he practiced lights out! The kid was unbelievable, because there was no pressure. He played loose as a goose... Now, he was the starter last year, and he's in a heated QB competition. He's cracking under pressure. And it hasn't gotten any better this spring.

On the other hand, I thought Roc looked good. Jovon deserves the bulk of the carries for sure, but they gotta find a place for Roc.

I say a slot/sweep guy... he's too good not to be out there.

Was your guy there for all the other practices? Did JJ get all the reps in those? Also, is SW 100 percent? Not trying to spin, but these are very valid questions before making judgement.

85% sure seems a lot for one guy to get if they are going to be splitting reps. Lol so 3 other guys split 15% of the 1st team snaps?

Archived