2016 Spring Practice - Day 6

RunInRed

I really, really like what Carlton Davis can become. If Dean can complement him we could have a very good and young CB unit.

Oh, how I miss the days of where QBs wouldn't even consider throwing to Carlos Rogers' side. I remember his senior year he only allowed a ridiculous 13% or something like that of passes completed in his direction.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or in the QB video does JJ look lackadaisical? He seems slower, an half a step behind, and does not toss the ball back to the coach with the zip the other guys do.

Is it just me, or in the QB video does JJ look lackadaisical? He seems slower, an half a step behind, and does not toss the ball back to the coach with the zip the other guys do.

I noticed that during the stretching portion of the video. Seemed pretty disinterested.

It's just you, and potentially anyone looking for him to fail. He underhanded it once. Otherwise, he is right there with the other guys. If I noticed anything it was that Sean rarely ever completed the passing motion part of the drill. I'm guessing that doesn't matter to Gus/Rhett, since they are both right there watching.

It looks like the guys are all pretty comfortable with the basics... now let's see how they do when they are live, tomorrow.

It's just you, Gus has loved their energy in spring camp.

definitely you. Good try though

It's just you, and potentially anyone looking for him to fail. He underhanded it once. Otherwise, he is right there with the other guys. If I noticed anything it was that Sean rarely ever completed the passing motion part of the drill. I'm guessing that doesn't matter to Gus/Rhett, since they are both right there watching. It looks like the guys are all pretty comfortable with the basics... now let's see how they do when they are live, tomorrow.

No, it's not just you. Tom Luginbill (ESPN) made a similar observation during the spring game of JJ's freshman season (I think it was). Too lazy to go look for the clip of Luginbill's comment but I distinctly remember thinking to myself back then, "well, if that's true, we may be in trouble".

It's just you, and potentially anyone looking for him to fail. He underhanded it once. Otherwise, he is right there with the other guys. If I noticed anything it was that Sean rarely ever completed the passing motion part of the drill. I'm guessing that doesn't matter to Gus/Rhett, since they are both right there watching. It looks like the guys are all pretty comfortable with the basics... now let's see how they do when they are live, tomorrow.

No, it's not just you. Tom Luginbill (ESPN) made a similar observation during the spring game of JJ's freshman season (I think it was). Too lazy to go look for the clip of Luginbill's comment but I distinctly remember thinking to myself back then, "well, if that's true, we may be in trouble".

I actually thought that about SW but then I thought maybe the leg is still hurt

http://www.auburntig.../032316aaa.html

Excerpt

Now, Auburn's newest coach is teaching a new era of Auburn wide receivers to follow his lead, to catch passes, sure, like he did in the national title game; but also to block down field, like he did on any given Saturday.

Tony Stevens says he sees an opportunity by following Burns' advice in spring practice.

"He's out there like he's one of us. He's really hands-on," Stevens said. "He shows it, and then we do it. He does receiver drills that I've never done before, ball drills on the floor and even before practice he's out there coming up to us one-on-one and doing drills with us. I think it's going to be a big help."

Burns is only 5½ years removed from his last college season. Stevens figures he better listen.

"He brings the energy," Stevens said. "He makes us be physical. I think that's what he's coaching that's his main focus right now."

Maybe somebody is actually coaching up our WR's again? Stephens sure is talking like it. Stephens also said that JF3 has the same arm strength as Nick Marshall. That's surprising.

Every practice video I've ever seen of the quarterbacks looks lackadaisical. Its not just JJ that's for sure.

Every practice video I've ever seen of the quarterbacks looks lackadaisical. Its not just JJ that's for sure.

My thoughts exactly.... Why not setup a net and let these guys actually throw the ball instead going through the motions.... the toss back to the coach does not seem to help prepare for a game time situation...

My thoughts exactly.... Why not setup a net and let these guys actually throw the ball instead going through the motions.... the toss back to the coach does not seem to help prepare for a game time situation...

Seriously? Seems like people are just looking for things to complain about.

You do realize that these are just position drills to master footwork, ball position for hand-offs, etc. through repetition, right? The part where they actually throw it is during the team part of practice where they have a receiver to try and hit, and isn't open to the media.

Funny conversation. Looked like JJ and SW have been doing this a while as they looked extremely similar in their techniques and timing. The other 3 were close but not as consistent. And surely we're not discussing how hard they are throwing the ball back to a guy on his knees 5 yards away, are we? Seriously? Must be crazy season.

Seriously? Seems like people are just looking for things to complain about.

You do realize that these are just position drills to master footwork, ball position for hand-offs, etc. through repetition, right? The part where they actually throw it is during the team part of practice where they have a receiver to try and hit, and isn't open to the media.

Logic and common sense are never good for those who like to complain.

It is alarming with so many healthy you men developing cancer at such an early age. I hate this so much and wish everyone of these young men a healthy and cancer free future and will be on the field hopefully sooner than later. I think Shon Coleman is a great inspiration for the 2 young men on the team suffering from cancer.

It is alarming with so many healthy you men developing cancer at such an early age. I hate this so much and wish everyone of these young men a healthy and cancer free future and will be on the field hopefully sooner than later. I think Shon Coleman is a great inspiration for the 2 young men on the team suffering from cancer.

Something is causing it that "they" don't want people finding out

Funny conversation. Looked like JJ and SW have been doing this a while as they looked extremely similar in their techniques and timing. The other 3 were close but not as consistent. And surely we're not discussing how hard they are throwing the ball back to a guy on his knees 5 yards away, are we? Seriously? Must be crazy season.

Its not just the practice video above that I'm referring. Its the few others I've viewed this spring as well. Judging by our production last year our QBs need to get 100% better which means the QBs need to give 100% effort in every drill.

My biggest concern is having another season like last season and the coaches letting the QBs laze through a drill providing the same play we had last year.

Kevin Trudeau? You out on good behavior?

My biggest concern is having another season like last season and the coaches letting the QBs laze through a drill providing the same play we had last year.

So, you are one of the favored few that is allowed to stay and watch the entire practice instead of being ushered out with the press corps? We should be getting more details from you. Is the entire team having lazy practices or just the QB's? Where is Atkinson lining up on defense? Will Golson stay at center or is his move permanent? Please fill us in!

As the late great medical mind of George Carlin stated, "In medical news tonight, a new study has shown that saliva has been found to cause cancer. But only when swallowed in small amounts, over extended periods of time."

BTW, I feel that I have the right to make a joke because I have just been treated for Melanoma in my left eye.

God bless everyone facing the battle with cancer and their families as well.

So, you are one of the favored few that is allowed to stay and watch the entire practice instead of being ushered out with the press corps? We should be getting more details from you. Is the entire team having lazy practices or just the QB's? Where is Atkinson lining up on defense? Will Golson stay at center or is his move permanent? Please fill us in!

Well Mikey, you got me. I don't go to the practices so I don't see all the drills to form an opinion. I'll watch these QB videos and assume that they are the anomaly. Surely every other drill I don't see of the QBs, (mainly the leaders I'm talking about here JJ and Sean) are busting their arse getting better, much much better.

I hope that is the case and our guys do get much better. We really need some great play from that position this year.

http://www.auburntig.../032316aaa.html

Excerpt

Now, Auburn's newest coach is teaching a new era of Auburn wide receivers to follow his lead, to catch passes, sure, like he did in the national title game; but also to block down field, like he did on any given Saturday.

Tony Stevens says he sees an opportunity by following Burns' advice in spring practice.

"He's out there like he's one of us. He's really hands-on," Stevens said. "He shows it, and then we do it. He does receiver drills that I've never done before, ball drills on the floor and even before practice he's out there coming up to us one-on-one and doing drills with us. I think it's going to be a big help."

Burns is only 5½ years removed from his last college season. Stevens figures he better listen.

"He brings the energy," Stevens said. "He makes us be physical. I think that's what he's coaching that's his main focus right now."

Maybe somebody is actually coaching up our WR's again? Stephens sure is talking like it. Stephens also said that JF3 has the same arm strength as Nick Marshall. That's surprising.

Great info. I am still skeptical on Burns, but I hope I eat a plate of crow. I've never seen an arm like nick Marshalls. He had a rocket launcher attached to his shoulder

Well Mikey, you got me. I don't go to the practices so I don't see all the drills to form an opinion. I'll watch these QB videos and assume that they are the anomaly. Surely every other drill I don't see of the QBs, (mainly the leaders I'm talking about here JJ and Sean) are busting their arse getting better, much much better.

I hope that is the case and our guys do get much better. We really need some great play from that position this year.

Just talk about the linebackers and you'll be good with Mikey. You can't critique any of his favorite players though

Archived