2016 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

After 9 practices in March, it's quite clear.

And, in no way am I saying Sean has looked like a world-beater either.

Then we are in trouble. But if it's clear there shouldn't be any 1a and 1b or any qb rotation. And for the record I heard that all the qb's are struggling and nobody stands out

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SW is our best option at this point... He's much better than Jeremy right now.

John Franklin is the head-scratcher... let's just say he's got to get A LOT better before August. I think he has the potential, but he's not at the same level as Nick was when he reported. He's got time though...

I just want one of the three of them to be confident back there and be a threat to run the ball. Could care less who. I just want to win.

IMHO....When "the dust settles" SW IS the starter.

Both qb's needs to be something like 50% better than they were last year out t we've we're in trouble, I'm disappointed that both started out like this I must say. Imo if you not fired up for this one you can't be fitted you JJ

I went to the scrimmage on Saturday and I agree that no QB really stood out.

Sean White came out first with Roc. He didn't do anything spectacular, but didn't force any throws either. He had a 30yd run on a designed play. Looked very comfortable.

Jeremy Johnson came out with Malik Miller 2nd. He had an excellent pass to Roc on a wheel route for a TD and JJ also had a nice run up the middle. Before the scrimmage though during a 5 on 5 drill he was making some pretty bad passes without having a defensive line present to put pressure on him.

JF3 came out with Jovon 3rd. JF3 is VERY fast, had probably a 70 yd run blowin by guys up the side line. He is very small though and a couple of hits he took I'm pretty sure the defense went easy on him. They could have absolutely laid him out. I'm no expert, but I think he needs a lot of work before he is a starting SEC QB. When he throws it just looks like he's blindly heaving it out there. He overthrew a couple of deep balls, but he was throwing to the 3rd string WRs, I believe Jason Smith or someone else would have gotten under the ball.

That being said, I see Sean White starting. I feel he looks the most comfortable and can manage the game more effectively.

according to tracey turner on wnsp yesterday, as a letterman he was at practice and observed all three. his assessment was that SW was the clear leader at the time. received approx. 20 snaps in the start with the 1's. made a good run, and had some good throws. his only fear is that he can get hurt again due to his stature. JJ and JFIII got 35 - 40 reps each, but struggled in their own right. JJ still making errant passes and shy to get hit. JFIII just didn't look comfortable, and was REALLY SMALL. made mistakes that are intolerable, but also has that "wow factor" speed. he says it is a race for the backup position behind SW at this point. he says clearly things can change, but there has to be some incredible improvement amongst those two to press for the starting position. just one man's opinion, but interesting nevertheless.

I actually got to go watch practice yesterday, here are some of my notes:

SW looked off. Even in drills where its just him and the WR, he was almost never right on the money. Rhett had him "hit his chin" multiple times in the few minutes I watched QBs.

JJ was the most accurate, but also still has a problem staring down receivers. Did make some good decisions in the situation part of practice.

JF3 is good but inconsistent. He'll hit his receiver in stride on one play, then the next he'll miss by 5 yards. Very strong arm, almost took Jason Smith's head off on an In route in 7-on-7 drills.

QBs were back in non-contact jerseys

Kyle Davis looks the part. Very big receiver. I was very impressed with him.

T-Will brings the energy. He was out there yelling and screaming when his LBs beat the H-Backs in 1-on-1 drills.

Lawson is an animal (is anyone surprised?

Punt return - K. Davis, J. Smith, Rudy

Chandler Cox looked like he was favoring his right knee. Had a sleeve over it, but no brace.

Sean White with the first team today?! There's no way (it's only spring practice)

I don't know why people make who is at qb during spring a big deal, apparently it's a close battle so people should expect to see every qb with the first team at some time. How else would Gus make a decision without seeing each qb live against the first team?

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo.

Well with only 4 (four) practices until A Day, it's now or possibly never for some guys to step up. Not being overly dramatic but really, what are the chances that my recurring dream comes true that dually Woody shows up this summer, physically punks the QB competition and with a grasp of 90% of the offense steps into the opening day backup role - only come in against Clemson when teenymates Sean/JF3 are knocked out of the game or JJ throws 8 interceptions, leading AU to an incredible comeback & OT win over Dabo. What are the chances? :big:

John Franklin is the head-scratcher... let's just say he's got to get A LOT better before August. I think he has the potential, but he's not at the same level as Nick was when he reported. He's got time though...

You sure about this?

I am actually glad CGM brought in T-Will and Kodi. The energy and enthusiasm they bring just pours out of them. They are still young enough to relate to these players and willing to get out there and push around with them to show them what they are doing. I believe the work ethic and selflessness that Kodi brings will translate this year into our WR group.

JF3 is good but inconsistent. He'll hit his receiver in stride on one play, then the next he'll miss by 5 yards. Very strong arm, almost took Jason Smith's head off on an In route in 7-on-7 drills.

Sounds like Marshall in 2013. If he can move and make things happen like Marshall could, I'll take him over JJ or SW.

Both qb's needs to be something like 50% better than they were last year out t we've we're in trouble, I'm disappointed that both started out like this I must say. Imo if you not fired up for this one you can't be fitted you JJ

I'm not challenging you at all in this response Cole.

But what the HELL did Jeremy Johnson and Sean White look like in spring training LAST year at this time?

My Lord ~ I keep reading all this negative crap that they have to make HUGE (50%) improvements........... no one knows who will be the starter.............. they can't separate themselves............ the performance is questionable........... and that a freaking 180 pound 2nd string JUCO QB that's only been on campus a couple of months and never had live action vs an SEC defense will surpass our guys that have been in the systems for 2-3 years??? WTH?

There were none of these negative, dismal spring reports about our QBs last year - folks were on cloud nine about JJ. Now people act like neither of our tenured QBs can do crap.

I have heard the same. SW is, as of now, our best QB. Not where he needs to be and others could pass him, but from others that have watched practices, he looks the best.

But what the HELL did Jeremy Johnson and Sean White look like in spring training LAST year at this time?

My Lord ~ I keep reading all this negative crap that they have to make HUGE improvements........... no one knows who will be the starter.............. they can't separate themselves............ the performance is questionable........... and that a freaking 180 pound 2nd string JUCO QB that's only been on campus a couple of months and never had live action vs an SEC defense will surpass our guys that have been in the systems for 2-3 years??? WTH?

There were none of these negative, dismal spring reports about our QBs last year - folks were on cloud nine about JJ. Now people act like neither of our tenured QBs can do crap.

I understand your thoughts on this, but last year we (as fans) were given the party line that all is well and JJ was the future at QB. He was actually anointed the starter shortly after spring. The insiders were (for the most part) echoing that party line and I, for one, bought into it and was anticipating a great year. Then 2015 season happened and all the hype and perception turned into the reality of a 6-6 season.

Now, after Gus' comments from last year, the media and fans are skeptical at best. I'd rather he do the ole Vince Dooley bad mouth our prospects for the season than all the hype.

I don't think a starting QB will be announced until sometime in the fall and the fans will have to rely on insider information and the little bit the coaches leak out to form our perceptions. This is only my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong (and to learn).

My Lord ~ I keep reading all this negative crap that they have to make HUGE improvements........... no one knows who will be the starter.............. they can't separate themselves............ the performance is questionable........... and that a freaking 180 pound 2nd string JUCO QB that's only been on campus a couple of months and never had live action vs an SEC defense will surpass our guys that have been in the systems for 2-3 years??? WTH?

I don't think a starting QB will be announced until sometime in the fall

So we won't know who our starting QB will be until week four of the college football season? What?

So we won't know who our starting QB will be until week four of the college football season? What?

Thanks for reminding me that the fall equinox is not until September 22, 2016 at 14:02 EDT. What I should have said; "sometime during the pre season practices in August".

Thanks for reminding me that the fall equinox is not until September 22, 2016 at 14:02 EDT. What I should have said; "sometime during the pre season practices in August".

I knew what you really meant. :) Just felt like giving you a hard time. What's an equinox?

Well, I did reserve the right to be wrong and to learn. I think I did both on that last post. As to the Equinox, I'll have to google it sometime.

What no love for Tyler Queen? I am just kidding...Hope he recovers very well and he looked pretty good last spring. I expect him to be a viable option also this year...

I understand your thoughts on this, but last year we (as fans) were given the party line that all is well and JJ was the future at QB. He was actually anointed the starter shortly after spring. The insiders were (for the most part) echoing that party line and I, for one, bought into it and was anticipating a great year. Then 2015 season happened and all the hype and perception turned into the reality of a 6-6 season.

Now, after Gus' comments from last year, the media and fans are skeptical at best. I'd rather he do the ole Vince Dooley bad mouth our prospects for the season than all the hype.

I don't think a starting QB will be announced until sometime in the fall and the fans will have to rely on insider information and the little bit the coaches leak out to form our perceptions. This is only my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong (and to learn).

I understand where you are coming from as well.

It's just that the people that are privy to practices and the scrimmage seem to analyze and even criticize the QB performance this spring and I just wonder what these same people saw in spring practice last year? Has Johnson gotten considerably worse in 12 months in practices and the scrimmage? There were posters on this board that personally witnessed the QB drills, practices, and scrimmages last season - they saw JJ and SW perform and all we heard was glowing reports. Now we have posters on here this year that make it sound like our QBs can't do anything consistent or effective. I'm can't attend practices so I can only go by what we get on here. For the life of me I just can't wrap my head around the notion that after another whole year of experience, knowledge and training that JJ & SW are worse than they were this same time last year. :dunno:

I understand where you are coming from as well.

It's just that the people that are privy to practices and the scrimmage seem to analyze and even criticize the QB performance this spring and I just wonder what these same people saw in spring practice last year? Has Johnson gotten considerably worse in 12 months in practices and the scrimmage? There were posters on this board that personally witnessed the QB drills, practices, and scrimmages last season - they saw JJ and SW perform and all we heard was glowing reports. Now we have posters on here this year that make it sound like our QBs can't do anything consistent or effective. I'm can't attend practices so I can only go by what we get on here. For the life of me I just can't wrap my head around the notion that after another whole year of experience, knowledge and training that JJ & SW are worse than they were this same time last year. :dunno:

Maybe it's just that our defense is that much better?

You sure about this?

imo... yes!

I knew what you really meant. :) Just felt like giving you a hard time. What's an equinox?

I think its a fax machine.

Archived