2016 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

I guess what I meant is I don't automatically think he can't play because he's a certain size. He's at a close enough size now that I don't see a difference between him and SW.

And I know SW got hurt but I think that's more of a not knowing how to run than a size thing. I think learning how to run or at least finish a run live, would help our qbs more than anything. But that's just my opinion. I think you would at least agree looking at the qb's last year it was pretty obvious that they didn't know how to prepare to take a hit or even how to fall.

There were a couple of times that I thought SW hurt his leg before he did by the way he'd plant it going down after a scramble. If they don't know how to run you know they haven't worked on securing the ball. Just seems like Gus would prepare them as far as that

And I was just talking qb, I know size matters. And as far as a short receiver or db being small nothing helps them out more than a long wingspan, even more so than a strong vertical

size aside Sean doesn't look made to take a lot of hits. He doesn't seem the least bit afraid either, which is concerning. You are correct. He has to learn to get down or oob.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude it's SPRING PRACTICE!!!

Ha, but that little fact is lost in the forensic analysis that our fan base seems to have the need to debate on. A down year always makes the offseason bonkers seems like.

At Auburn:

We have seen what Gus can do with a fast QB who does not throw very well.

We have also seen what Gus can do with guys who's strength is passing rather than running.

In a vacuum, it looks like we should just go with Franklin unless his throwing is so far behind where Nick Marshall was when he came to AU that it negates the positive of his running ability.

Looking outside of Auburn, however...

Nick Marshall 3044 yards / 26 TDs

We have also seen what Gus can do with guys who's strength is passing rather than running.

Paul Smith 5184 yards / 60 TDs

I'm still in the camp that Franklin needs to bulk up, a lot, before we can crown him starting QB.

Yes, Gus has been formidable in the Conference USA and Sunbelt, with pocket passing QBs. This remains to be seen in the mighty SEC.

I feel like people make too big of a deal about size

Its all about the motion in the ocean ;)

Yeah. I thought that, if you know how to use all your skill, size doesn't matter. I mean, that's what I've always been told.

Yeah. I thought that, if you know how to use all your skill, size doesn't matter. I mean, that's what I've always been told.

Indeed. Georgia Tech's offense is as rush-centric (or more so) as ours was in 2013, and they've been running it with a QB that is basically Franklin's size for a few years. He's still alive, and I don't think he's missed a game of note. I've always thought of it as any rushing QB is more likely to be injured than a pocket QB, and size really has nothing to do with that. If he ends up being the starter, he still has several months of workouts before the season begins.

This is a damning commentary on Gus and RL's ability to evaluate and develop talent at QB.

Way too early to post this. However; it won't take long once we start playing in the fall to find out one way or the other.

wde

Indeed. Georgia Tech's offense is as rush-centric (or more so) as ours was in 2013, and they've been running it with a QB that is basically Franklin's size for a few years. He's still alive, and I don't think he's missed a game of note. I've always thought of it as any rushing QB is more likely to be injured than a pocket QB, and size really has nothing to do with that. If he ends up being the starter, he still has several months of workouts before the season begins.

i just think back to all the tackles Marshall broke when people tried to take him high on the edge. He ran very upright but had tremendous strength in both upper and lower body. I don't see jf3 with that type power but he could make up for it by running lower to the ground and just being more slippery I guess. The biggest thing is decision making and ball protection. If he can take care of that I think Gus can make him productive. He has to be a passing threat too.

For those panicking now about qb think back to 2013 and NM 1st game. 10-20 99yrds. You can watch it on YouTube and he's rough around the edges. I think that season turned out ok.

At Auburn:

In a vacuum, it looks like we should just go with Franklin unless his throwing is so far behind where Nick Marshall was when he came to AU that it negates the positive of his running ability.

Looking outside of Auburn, however...

Nick Marshall 3044 yards / 26 TDs

Paul Smith 5184 yards / 60 TDs

I'm still in the camp that Franklin needs to bulk up, a lot, before we can crown him starting QB.

Yes, Gus has been formidable in the Conference USA and Sunbelt, with pocket passing QBs. This remains to be seen in the mighty SEC.

If he got even half of the production out of a passing QB in the SEC that he got at Tulsa, he'd still have one of the better QBs in Auburn history. I know I'd be happy with 2592 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Size doesn't matter? Whoever told you that was being polite.

Size doesn't matter? Whoever told you that was being polite.

That's not what she said.

I was even more surprised that people quoted me as if I'd contributed anything substantial to the conversation.

I was even more surprised that people quoted me as if I'd contributed anything substantial to the conversation.

I had a hangover and read it wrong.

The first page of Paul Johnson's playbook addresses what is required of a flexbone quarterback. Selfless, good decision maker, can get hit in the mouth and get back up and run the ball again, adequate arm. That is no different than what we need.

The first page of Paul Johnson's playbook addresses what is required of a flexbone quarterback. Selfless, good decision maker, can get hit in the mouth and get back up and run the ball again, adequate arm. That is no different than what we need.

Gus' O actually needs a QB that has some legitimate or at least adequate passing skills. We do not want an offense like Paul Johnson's. If Gus' O gets pidgeon-holed like Paul Johnson's is, you can kiss our recruiting goodbye. As Stat and others have posted, Gus' O needs to evolve. Going to a pure flexbone/GT like O will mean Gus has devolved.

wde

Our 2013 offense wasn't that far removed from Paul Johnson's offense. We were just operating it out of shotgun. Of course we passed more than them and Gus used some of his own wrinkles too but at it's core it was not all that different.

Our 2013 offense wasn't that far removed from Paul Johnson's offense. We were just operating it out of shotgun. Of course we passed more than them and Gus used some of his own wrinkles too but at it's core it was not all that different.

The difference is that Gus's offense changes with the talent available to him. Give him Tre Mason and a questionable passer and he'll cram it. Give him receivers that drop the ball a lot and he'll try to cram it, even without a Tre Mason type. Given a good passer and good WR play he'll put a very balanced offense out there.

the other difference ... Absolute and complete dominance in the run game. First sec team to ever lead the nation in rushing? It was a unique season in that regard.

I see that posted and talked about a lot, but I don't really know how valid it is.

On the surface level, both offenses look rather similar. Both are run-centered offenses that utilize the option game to freeze defenders and give an advantage to the offense. They both do so by having the QB read a specific player on the defense (determined pre-snap), and make a decision based on how that player reacts. On the surface level, the only difference between the two is that Johnson's is run under-center and Malzahn's is run from the shotgun.

However the differences are larger when you start digging deeper. Blocking schemes are often more complicated in Malzahn's - Specifically Malzahn likes to pull tackles and guards not just as blockers, but as "eye candy" to fool defenders. Along the same lines, Malzahn will line up in a 3 or 4 WR set to run up the middle, because schematically it puts fewer players in the box. It also adds the element of "setup" plays. A perfect example of that is the Sammie Coates TD pass on the last AU drive of the 2013 Iron Bowl. Malzahn's offense also never uses the H-back (or FB in Johnson's offense) in the running game. All of the triple option is either a WR coming in motion or the threat of a pass. These may all sound like small details, but in the grand scheme of things, they are huge.

Archived