2016 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

It "sounds" like nobody has the complete package. Of the leaders, we have one who can throw but doesn't have the wheels and another that has the wheels but doesn't throw as well. Both are smallish for an SEC QB and that is an issue when trying to withstand the pounding. The guy with the size has other issues.

So unless there is some kind of machine we can put these guys in, to combine all their good traits, it looks like we will be settling on the guy that has the fewest flaws. We don't have the "perfect" QB on the roster but hopefully one of them is a leader and a winner.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So we won't know who our starting QB will be until week four of the college football season? What?"

I'm not so sure that sometime in the fall is not the more accurate timetable.

Both qb's needs to be something like 50% better than they were last year out t we've we're in trouble, I'm disappointed that both started out like this I must say. Imo if you not fired up for this one you can't be fitted you JJ

I'm not challenging you at all in this response Cole.

But what the HELL did Jeremy Johnson and Sean White look like in spring training LAST year at this time?

My Lord ~ I keep reading all this negative crap that they have to make HUGE improvements........... no one knows who will be the starter.............. they can't separate themselves............ the performance is questionable........... and that a freaking 180 pound 2nd string JUCO QB that's only been on campus a couple of months and never had live action vs an SEC defense will surpass our guys that have been in the systems for 2-3 years??? WTH?

There were none of these negative, dismal spring reports about our QBs last year - folks were on cloud nine about JJ. Now people act like neither of our tenured QBs can do crap.

I don't think a starting QB will be announced until sometime in the fall

So we won't know who our starting QB will be until week four of the college football season? What?

Thanks for reminding me that the fall equinox is not until September 22, 2016 at 14:02 EDT. What I should have said; "sometime during the pre season practices in August".

I knew what you really meant. :)/> Just felt like giving you a hard time. What's an equinox?

2015_chevrolet_equinox-pic-5965769072458444579-640x480.jpeg

At Auburn:

We have seen what Gus can do with a fast QB who does not throw very well.

We have also seen what Gus can do with guys who's strength is passing rather than running.

In a vacuum, it looks like we should just go with Franklin unless his throwing is so far behind where Nick Marshall was when he came to AU that it negates the positive of his running ability.

unless his throwing is so far behind where Nick Marshall was when he came to AU that it negates the positive of his running ability.

I think it is.

What I see on the first team list that didn't exist last year are returning starters. With the exception of WRs, the rest of the offense were mostly starters. Whoever the Qb is he'll have a supporting staff that has a better grasp of what's going on. Roc,Pettway, Stevens, and J. Smith have a lot of snaps between them as well.

At Auburn:

We have also seen what Gus can do with guys who's strength is passing rather than running.

In a vacuum, it looks like we should just go with Franklin unless his throwing is so far behind where Nick Marshall was when he came to AU that it negates the positive of his running ability.

Looking outside of Auburn, however...

Nick Marshall 3044 yards / 26 TDs

Paul Smith 5184 yards / 60 TDs

I'm still in the camp that Franklin needs to bulk up, a lot, before we can crown him starting QB.

Further to Lion's point, we absolutely have not seen what Gus can do with a really good, healthy-for-a-full-season pocket QB at Auburn

He's had Chris Todd and a lot of garbage and/or inexperience. Todd was good, but really good? I'm not sure. And that was Gus's first year. Still a pretty good offense, though.

What I see on the first team list that didn't exist last year are returning starters.

Yup. Not saying we'll be good this year, but we were so, sooooo inexperienced last year.

Stop stealing my blood & sweat research.

Kidding. I'm flattered someone takes note of my nonsense.

Yup. Not saying we'll be good this year, but we were so, sooooo inexperienced last year.

This is exactly the reason why I can't see Franklin snatching the starting job from JJ or SW.

He has zero SEC experience and very little starting experience from JUCO. Our schedule is freaking brutal right out the gate and the away games will be tough enough without laying the load on a undersized kid that's never ran an offense in a hostile environment. @CowbellU/@Arky/@OleMiss/@UGA/@UAT!

^We're not going to have adequate QB play available for us until next year. With Clemson on our schedule, this is exactly why we should not be taking risks and scheduling touch OC opponents.

^We're not going to have adequate QB play available for us until next year. With Clemson on our schedule, this is exactly why we should not be taking risks and scheduling touch OC opponents.

This team needs quality opponents outside the league. Qb or not a gut check early in the season is what the team needs. I don't agree.

Stop stealing my blood & sweat research.

Kidding. I'm flattered someone takes note of my nonsense.

Should have had a footnote. It's been to long since I've had an English class :). Thanks for the assist in making my point.

I went to the scrimmage on Saturday and I agree that no QB really stood out.

Sean White came out first with Roc. He didn't do anything spectacular, but didn't force any throws either. He had a 30yd run on a designed play. Looked very comfortable.

Jeremy Johnson came out with Malik Miller 2nd. He had an excellent pass to Roc on a wheel route for a TD and JJ also had a nice run up the middle. Before the scrimmage though during a 5 on 5 drill he was making some pretty bad passes without having a defensive line present to put pressure on him.

JF3 came out with Jovon 3rd. JF3 is VERY fast, had probably a 70 yd run blowin by guys up the side line. He is very small though and a couple of hits he took I'm pretty sure the defense went easy on him. They could have absolutely laid him out. I'm no expert, but I think he needs a lot of work before he is a starting SEC QB. When he throws it just looks like he's blindly heaving it out there. He overthrew a couple of deep balls, but he was throwing to the 3rd string WRs, I believe Jason Smith or someone else would have gotten under the ball.

That being said, I see Sean White starting. I feel he looks the most comfortable and can manage the game more effectively.

Terrible situation we've gotten into in just two years

This team needs quality opponents outside the league. Qb or not a gut check early in the season is what the team needs. I don't agree.

I don't agree either. Clemson was the perfect OOC gut check in 2010 we needed early in the season. Not too strong. Not too soft. Just enough to push us to our potential.

All pre-season 2010, I said the Clemson game would be the barometer to the season.

A poor MSU team took us to the wire the previous week. Other than a handful of plays, we looked flat. We would have skull-drug MSU had we played them late in the season.

We got down early v Clemson. Looked flat again. Cam played poorly, but we came back and won, barely.

That game changed that team. They went from good to great ($1 to Chizik) because of that game. They went from a Top 20 type team to a Top 10 type team overnight because they were pushed.

Had we played Alabama A&M instead, South Carolina might have gotten us the next week. Carolina was better than Clemson. We needed Clemson the week prior.

Clemson just happened to be a Top 20 type team that year.

They're a Top 5 team now.

Just the way cycles go.

I feel like people make too big of a deal about size

Oh? How so. I guess it depends on the position being played, but I wouldn't want to see what happens when you continually run a guy who's under 200 lbs up against guys who are over 300 lbs. I'd like even less to see the stain on the field he would leave when one of them crushed him.

Then, if you are talking about QB, there's the height factor. The #1 reason Nick didn't even get a sniff at QB in the NFL was because he was too short. Just look at how many of his passes were batted down in the two years he was our QB. His hand size was also a detriment and cost us a game against LSU because he couldn't hold on to a wet ball.

Sure, some positions can make up for a lack of size, for instance if you have great vertical at positions like receiver and defensive back, or you're short but thick at running back, but most require you to be big enough to take a hit.

I guess what I meant is I don't automatically think he can't play because he's a certain size. He's at a close enough size now that I don't see a difference between him and SW.

And I know SW got hurt but I think that's more of a not knowing how to run than a size thing. I think learning how to run or at least finish a run live, would help our qbs more than anything. But that's just my opinion. I think you would at least agree looking at the qb's last year it was pretty obvious that they didn't know how to prepare to take a hit or even how to fall.

There were a couple of times that I thought SW hurt his leg before he did by the way he'd plant it going down after a scramble. If they don't know how to run you know they haven't worked on securing the ball. Just seems like Gus would prepare them as far as that

And I was just talking qb, I know size matters. And as far as a short receiver or db being small nothing helps them out more than a long wingspan, even more so than a strong vertical

Well with only 4 (four) practices until A Day, it's now or possibly never for some guys to step up. Not being overly dramatic but really, what are the chances that my recurring dream comes true that dually Woody shows up this summer, physically punks the QB competition and with a grasp of 90% of the offense steps into the opening day backup role - only come in against Clemson when teenymates Sean/JF3 are knocked out of the game or JJ throws 8 interceptions, leading AU to an incredible comeback & OT win over Dabo. What are the chances? :big:

Barrett is a lock for a redshirt year, barring injuries to all four of JJ, SW, Queen and JF3.

consider the fact that TQ is on a 50 throw max. He apparently has all of the tools necessary to be a quality qb. size, quickness, good decision making, arm strength. even if he was still only limited to 50 tosses during the regular season, he would still be a viable option. when was the last time an auburn qb threw for 50 passes or more in a game? I believe we are setting our sights on everyone except the one that may really have a chance to steal the show. I have no inside knowledge of this, and have seen nothing to support my theory, but just have a gut feeling he COULD be our guy next year.

one thing is for certain. we will all know at the end of august. no matter what, the season will start and end, we will all still be auburn fans, and the world will continue to turn. it would certainly be best for everyone involved if auburn has a great season, but anything less isn't going to end our lives or love for the university. let's just support our coaches and the young men that prepare really hard to provide us with an entertaining 3+ hours each Saturday in the fall. wde.

This is a damning commentary on Gus and RL's ability to evaluate and develop talent at QB.

What "this".....you mean the observations of a bunch of amateur football experts who get to watch an hour or so of practice every now and then? Bet if you did a survey, you would find that 10 other SEC teams are in the same situation right now.....wondering who their QB will be....including the guys who won the NC....and who about a year ago, were also wondering who their QB would be for the 2015 season.

Hate to say it...but what is a sad commentary is that anyone would try to draw any conclusions about coaches or players based on 8 practices, most of which were limited contact and coaches trying to take a look at everyone.

This is a damning commentary on Gus and RL's ability to evaluate and develop talent at QB.

What "this".....you mean the observations of a bunch of amateur football experts who get to watch an hour or so of practice every now and then? Bet if you did a survey, you would find that 10 other SEC teams are in the same situation right now.....wondering who their QB will be....including the guys who won the NC....and who about a year ago, were also wondering who their QB would be for the 2015 season.

Hate to say it...but what is a sad commentary is that anyone would try to draw any conclusions about coaches or players based on 8 practices, most of which were limited contact and coaches trying to take a look at everyone.

This ^^^

Archived