So did we not practice the game plan?

Velvet Beavis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 WR in the endzone covered up by defenders. someone rolled out to the left but was too far out to make it in the end zone before the defenders picked him up. if you can link up what you are talking about ill take a look, but there was not an "easy TD" in any of that.

Texas is showing good balance right now using 2 QBs. The difference is they know their roles and keep the attacking tempo up.  And their freshman QB looks really good.  A lot of balance so far.  Fun to watch.  The announcers mentioned a while ago how everyone's head was spinning with our QB rotation last night. Overall both teams making phenomenal plays.  Actually ND is playing 2 QBs as well but their's is more of a tryout.

i think we could do some stuff with 2 qbs. but it needs to be SW and JF3. and at some point JF3 will have to run and throw himself. SW will also have to run himself. to predictable otherwise.

I remain open for Gus to somehow impress me with his coaching ability and restore my faith.  In the meantime, I can have no faith in the group that emerged from offensive staff meetings with a "plan" that revolved around a 3-man QB rotation with completely irrational timing for those substitutions.  The entire offensive coaching staff (and especially Gus) should have been called to someone's office for a serious paddling as soon as the Sun rose this morning.  If those coaches want to practice idiocy of that magnitude, they need to go do it at an FCS program.

EDIT:  I could have been convinced that it was all just a bad hallucination, until I heard Gus double down on that madness in the post-game presser and act annoyed that people dare question the validity of that plan after they had observed the results.

3 hours ago, Fricking Ray said:

Each QB does something well. JJ throws a nice deep ball. SW throws short and intermediate passes. JFIII runs well. Its almost to the point each QB has one play. The defenses will never know what hit em.

I like your attitude.  I think that Gus is smart enough to learn that his plan was creative, but one he should put on the shelf and look at every single day before he starts working on the game plans throughout the rest of this season and seasons beyond if he can right the ship. I do think we will have a good season. Yes I honestly do. 

I do not think I have the patience to listen to CGM "discuss" the circus he orchestrated last night. Did he at all take responsibility or mention that his plan game failed?

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

I do not think I have the patience to listen to CGM "discuss" the circus he orchestrated last night. Did he at all take responsibility or mention that his plan game failed?

Dont watch it will just depress you.    I didnt get a sense of regret about his decisions. 

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

no, he actually said it worked some. he was very obstinate that people were asking questions about it. he seemed very put off.

Just now, doc4aday said:

I like your attitude.  I think that Gus is smart enough to learn that his plan was creative, but one he should put on the shelf and look at every single day before he starts working on the game plans throughout the rest of this season and seasons beyond if he can right the ship. I do think we will have a good season. Yes I honestly do. 

What concerns me is that in his post game interview he said he might play them all again in the same fashion. Our defense will keep us in most games but we are going to win about three if musical QB's continues.

Gus said, "Shawn is our guy (starter), but I can't guarantee he who will start against Arkansas State."   That's very close to the quote.

My head nearly exploded when I heard that. I think if I was in the room for that presser I would have been like that Iranian or Iraqi guy who threw the shoe at Bush. I finally, after many years, understood why that guy threw that shoe. Completely understand it.

I think the OP missed the target here. The guys did practice the game plan...otherwise how else did they know the plays that were called in the game plan?  Practice. I'm sure they weren't told which plays they were running and when, but I don't think any coach divulges that info.  The way they practice the game plan is by practicing the plays in the game plan, which they clearly did.  Doesn't mean the game plan was good, but the players knew the plays. 

1 hour ago, EagleFlight34 said:

Gus said, "Shawn is our guy (starter), but I can't guarantee he who will start against Arkansas State."   That's very close to the quote.

My head nearly exploded when I heard that. I think if I was in the room for that presser I would have been like that Iranian or Iraqi guy who threw the shoe at Bush. I finally, after many years, understood why that guy threw that shoe. Completely understand it.

It was a cheap knock off that he was trying to get rid of! Just kidding my friend.  I think all of us would like to have thrown a shoe throughout the game.  I hope that this time 3 weeks from today we are having a lot of laughs and celebrating our good fortunes as to how this team has rebounded from the loss that should have been a W. I do think that Clemson's big game that could be  a loss will be FSU. Clemson my run the table for the regular season if they get past FSU.

White's INT was a combination of situational awareness (4th down and goal, so he had the throw the ball into the endzone to succeed) and poor play calling/route combo. 

JJs was an Under thrown back foot throw that would have been a TD if stepped into. He was under pressure too, I think I recall.

Neither are bad, in the sense of last year bad. In fact both were the right call, just not executed.

The joke is on all of us. We didn't have a game plan coming into the game. The plan was for Gus to outsmart Venables as the game went along. Putting in Chandler Cox, to run whatever that was, is proof positive. Nobody could have 7 months  to get ready for a game  and actually plan on doing that..........could they?

7 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Agree on the OL. Although they did improve some in the 2nd half. I actually liked the idea of putting Truitt at RB some.  Truitt was a qb in high school that ran the ball most of the time so he has experience running the ball out of the backfield. We are definitely going for speed and he is one of our faster players. I would like to see Kam Martin also. Especially on the sweeps where KM has better vision and running instincts than Truitt imo. Kam Martin could be deadly in the Omac role imo.

23, Apologies if you mentioned this somewhere else.

Were you disappointed about Pettway? I know you were impressed by him this preseason. I don't understand releasing the lineup with him number two but not getting any exposure. What was that all about?

The offensive line played terrible in the first half. #70 was horrible. I am not sure if he improved later or we compensated another way. I think we need to rotate offensive lineman like we did qbs. 

I'm sure both JJ and SW or anyone else who had to pass behind our line in that first half were going to be extra hesitant the entire game. Just like Watson was against our d line.

Gus and Herb should have been in all out pass protection mode every time we passed it to make sure our QB's didn't get scared, early on seeing as they should have known exactly what Clemson's d had in mind (pressure on our QB). Seeing as that was a big problem with them last year. 

Gus needs to make up his mind and either go with JJ or SW as the passing QB. Neither of them really has the ability to be a staple in the run offense like jf3 so having him packages is an entirely different ordeal and based off the Clemson game it's something we need. But we can't rotate 3 QB's constantly, when two of them are doing the same thing. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

Circulating the QBs like that did no one any favors, but the blind defense of Sean White is puzzling. I pull for whomever we have behind center, but Sean White--at least right now--is not a good QB. He doesn't have the arm strength to zip passes into tight windows consistently, and his deep ball is lacking. He's little threat to run and has accuracy issues on short and intermediate passes. The ball looked just as weak coming out of Sean's hand on Saturday as it did last year after he got banged up. IMO the best we can hope for with SW behind center is a game-manager--but even that will require significant improvement.

10 hours ago, fasttimes said:

2 WR in the endzone covered up by defenders. someone rolled out to the left but was too far out to make it in the end zone before the defenders picked him up. if you can link up what you are talking about ill take a look, but there was not an "easy TD" in any of that.

Jesse Palmer actually said it on TV that if SW would've read it quicker the guy was right there for a TD. I explicitly remember him saying it because I was discussing it with flex during the game day forum. In the end zone, you have a quick second to deliver or of course it will be a bundle of defenders there in such a short area to work. 

Of course, you will still want a link of a 10 second segment of Jessie Palmer saying it. 

Archived