So did we not practice the game plan?

Velvet Beavis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, auskull said:

I just wonder what Herb is thinking after leaving Penn State for this. He'll be in rehab soon.

after watching his o-line play, as far as i am concerned, he can get on a plane and fly right back up there

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Jesse Palmer actually said it on TV that if SW would've read it quicker the guy was right there for a TD. I explicitly remember him saying it because I was discussing it with flex during the game day forum. In the end zone, you have a quick second to deliver or of course it will be a bundle of defenders there in such a short area to work. 

Of course, you will still want a link of a 10 second segment of Jessie Palmer saying it. 

are you guys talking about the receiver he threw to, or another on the left side of the field? 

11 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

I think the OP missed the target here. The guys did practice the game plan...otherwise how else did they know the plays that were called in the game plan?  Practice. I'm sure they weren't told which plays they were running and when, but I don't think any coach divulges that info.  The way they practice the game plan is by practicing the plays in the game plan, which they clearly did.  Doesn't mean the game plan was good, but the players knew the plays. 

Every team everywhere at every level has situational practices as part of every practice. I know AU does. The problem was, no one but Gus could forsee the situations that Gus would put the offense in the other night. So.....there was no game plan for that.

3 hours ago, auskull said:

I just wonder what Herb is thinking after leaving Penn State for this. He'll be in rehab soon.

I have a terrible joke that I just can't bring myself to post right now. Use your imagination......

11 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

I think the OP missed the target here. The guys did practice the game plan...otherwise how else did they know the plays that were called in the game plan?  Practice. I'm sure they weren't told which plays they were running and when, but I don't think any coach divulges that info.  The way they practice the game plan is by practicing the plays in the game plan, which they clearly did.  Doesn't mean the game plan was good, but the players knew the plays. 

I think you're on to something FE.  Let me expound on the thought that the plan was, in deed, practiced.  Gus is, in fact, an offensive guru.  He probably had each QB practice their package separately until they were proficient.  Each practiced with the 1s so the 1s knew the package for each QB, hence the snap count would be the same each time.  In a Friday meeting, he divulged to the QBs that each would be running their packages at different times during the game, brilliant!!!  This was done so the spies would not leak out his master plan and that plan would come as a total surprise to Clemson, after all, you're not paranoid if someone is really watching you.

Gus probably spent all day Saturday reviewing the plan with the entire offense so they would not be shocked like the rest of the world.  It was just that the execution wasn't there or we would have won going away.  You'll all see next week how it can work when we play Arky State.  

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He probably had each QB practice their package separately until they were proficient.  Each practiced with the 1s so the 1s knew the package for each QB, In a Friday meeting, he divulged to the QBs that each would be running their packages at different times during the game

This part is very likely true....

10 minutes ago, EagleFlight34 said:

Your sarcasm is noted, but I don't think even you realize how accurate your scenario is. It is, in fact, the most logical explanation I've seen yet.

The problem with that is an experienced head coach in the SEC should know about establishing rhythm with a QB and that unless you practice playing 3 QBs in a random fashion it is just not going to work.  He should be smarter than that.

1 minute ago, Velvet Beavis said:

The problem with that is an experienced head coach in the SEC should know about establishing rhythm with a QB and that unless you practice playing 3 QBs in a random fashion it is just not going to work.  He should be smarter than that.

You had alot of "shoulds" in there. I believe it is your key word.

12 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

I'm not sure you understand the difference in practicing plays and practicing the game plan.  All the QBs know all the plays, and have practiced them.  But if you are going to do something whacky like switching QBs every other play, that is something that needs to be tried in practice to see how it affects the flow of the offense.  You can't have tempo when you substitute.  And if you have the defense on their heels and want to hit them with the deep ball, you kill the moment by having to change QB to get the right "package" in.

1 hour ago, Velvet Beavis said:

I'm not sure you understand the difference in practicing plays and practicing the game plan.  All the QBs know all the plays, and have practiced them.  But if you are going to do something whacky like switching QBs every other play, that is something that needs to be tried in practice to see how it affects the flow of the offense.  You can't have tempo when you substitute.  And if you have the defense on their heels and want to hit them with the deep ball, you kill the moment by having to change QB to get the right "package" in.

We all know Gus doesn't have that kind of game plan. I'm sold the game plan just consist of plays that he calls whenever he feels like it. So again, they practiced what parts of the game plan were known before the game.  Whether that's the way it should work is another story.  I suppose that's what was meant... that there should have been more planning which I think we all agree on. 

I think we have been working on the game plan since spring. I watched the A-Day game and what we did Saturday night was the same. Fortunately Gus has now lost the element of surprise in his master plan. I get it, none of the QB's does everything well. Apparently what JJ contracted last fall has now spread to the coaching staff and the other QB's. It doesn't appear that any of them are capable of making a decision. At this point it doesn't really matter as we are already the laughing stock of college football. Gus needs to take out his QB  wheel and give it one last spin. Call the game according to the winners strengths and live with the results.

13 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

The one he threw to. He had him and double clutched it.

gotcha, i thought you had said the left side of the field guys were open. for the life of me i did not see what you were talking about

I think a lot of the QB problems we have are bc our QBs arent QBs. They dont do what a normal QB does. Normal QBs are given the chance to read the D themselves and make a decision ,or guess, ab who's going to be open or which way to lineup the blocks. Our QBs and the rest of the offense look at the sideline, are coached to take it as fact, and run the play. So when they go through the route tree its just robotic. Zero feel for where the D will be and when a WR might be open. Our coach has to let his QBs be QBs. You cant tell a guy what should be open or what should work. He has to see it. 

Thats why we dont see our QBs develop. They dont have to develop. They just look at the sideline. And other D's know this so they camo their coverage and break into it right before the snap. And thats why our offense has sucked. Thats why we dont execute in the RZ.

He's gotta let go. 

22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus is, in fact, an offensive guru.  He probably had each QB practice their package separately until they were proficient.  Each practiced with the 1s so the 1s knew the package for each QB, hence the snap count would be the same each time.  In a Friday meeting, he divulged to the QBs that each would be running their packages at different times during the game.

Gus probably spent all day Saturday reviewing the plan with the entire offense so they would not be shocked like the rest of the world.  It was just that the execution wasn't there or we would have won going away.  You'll all see next week how it can work when we play Arky State.  

I edited a couple of things, but actually, this is exactly what happened and how both Gus and RL see things working out this weekend and for the rest of the season unless one of them separates in practice.

19 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I edited a couple of things, but actually, this is exactly what happened and how both Gus and RL see things working out this weekend and for the rest of the season unless one of them separates in practice.

ugh.  Offense moved with Sean in the game.  He made clutch throws  (the pass to Kerryon in the EZ that was called back?  OMG)...build the O around him with small doses of JF3.  Build a real RZ offense around Sean with quick throw options to multiple targets.

27 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Wow, just wow.  Good sarcasm always has a little truth to it, but I'm shocked it was that close.  Thanks for the info.

Archived