I'm Shutting Down the Sunshine & Rainbow Pump

PatBoCamRob

Let's be clear about something.  While putting up over 700 yards of total offense is impressive under just about any scenario.  We should all refrain from the celebratory hootin' and hollerin' I saw these last few days.  AR St is a school that CGM was head coach of very recently- where he is likely a folk hero- where his former assistants and colleagues are currently working.  I reserve the right to withhold my praise of Saturday's performance until the team produces results against a team that matters and that wouldn't ostensibly allow Auburn to posterize them for sympathy's sake.  Teams like Kentucky use power puffs for their highlight reels.  We aren't Kentucky.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I preface this by saying I do not necessarily disagree with your point.  That said, I saw exactly what I wanted to see in that game.  The offense came prepared to play, and the game plan was exactly what was needed for his offense to work with a QB like Sean White.  More importantly, Gus showed confidence in his QB with the way he called the game.  The game was called as if we intended to win, instead of calling it safe hoping not to lose.

I also do not think Arkansas State was calling the game in any that sympathizes with Gus' potential plight.  They wanted to not start 0-2 just as badly as Auburn did.

I suspect the happiness with Saturday night was simply AU fans seeing their team do what it was SUPPOSED to do, for a change... Nothing more, nothing less...  After watching them struggle against the J'ville St's of the world, etc, while other rivals steamrolled over lesser opponents has been frustrating along with the other issues that has come with that.

I haven't seen any evidence of anybody believing AU will demolish aTm but rather the next two weeks will really tell the tale.  For a change, there's HOPE, and that's a great feeling for us AU fans that we haven't had in a year or so...

War Eagle!

38 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

Let's be clear about something.  While putting up over 700 yards of total offense is impressive under just about any scenario.  We should all refrain from the celebratory hootin' and hollerin' I saw these last few days.  AR St is a school that CGM was head coach of very recently- where he is likely a folk hero- where his former assistants and colleagues are currently working.  I reserve the right to withhold my praise of Saturday's performance until the team produces results against a team that matters and that wouldn't ostensibly allow Auburn to posterize them for sympathy's sake.  Teams like Kentucky use power puffs for their highlight reels.  We aren't Kentucky.

Troll.

I was proud to see this performance.  Last week I did not think they could put up 700 yards against thin air.  

I agree it will be harder against a tougher defense.  But  AU also typically plays better with higher emotion and intensity against SEC opponents.

I like the correction in offensive game planning.  Gus had two choices: be stubborn and get bitter or humble and get BETTER!  I like the choice he made.

I got off the Bus during Clemson.  I still kept my tickets for A&M and LSU. May get back on before this season is over. 

Most of the praise I saw this week were fans happy that we finally played the way we should against this type of team. Almost every fan mentioned that the real tests will come in the next two weeks. Personally I like to be happy and pump sunshine when things go right that doesn't mean I didn't recognize the caliber of the team and that one game ( excpetion Kicking Bama's Butt ) does not a season make.

You created a thread to enlighten us of that profound statement? We beat the crap out of a team we're supposed to. We're happy to see the team progress, nobody is claiming a National Championship. Slow your roll Francis.

Here we go....:popcorn:.  I get holding off on any strong declarations after 2 games. I can agree with that part but it's been so long that we've won a game in that fashion and to see what we saw the week before the entire AUFamily needed a win like this. It's a big confidence booster IMO. We hopefully found an identity on offense...FINALLY! That in itself is big. It came in week 2 instead of week 3 or 4. 

1 hour ago, PatBoCamRob said:

+1

14 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Here we go....:popcorn:.  I get holding off on any strong declarations after 2 games. I can agree with that part but it's been so long that we've won a game in that fashion and to see what we saw the week before the entire AUFamily needed a win like this. It's a big confidence booster IMO. We hopefully found an identity on offense...FINALLY! That in itself is big. It came in week 2 instead of week 3 or 4. 

Our players will get the win if we carry on exceptional play-calling like that against Arkansas State. Poor play-calling is the only way that we lose to A&M, and I don't see that happening. Expect big things this weekend. 

Did you have to announce this? What was the purpose of this thread? You have rights. Cool.

1 minute ago, logan adams said:

Our players will get the win if we carry on exceptional play-calling like that against Arkansas State. Poor play-calling is the only way that we lose to A&M, and I don't see that happening. Expect big things this weekend. 

Hope so. Just cautiously optimistic but i agree if we see the same type of playcalling we should be fine. 

You know what is so weird about some of you guys? I ventured over to Texags and many of their fans realize we are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and that SW has great potential. They realize this will be a close game and are very worried about the play of Trevor Knight, yet our own fanbase can't get out of their own way. I would agree with the OP if most on here were saying we are in the driver seat in the SEC. That is just not the case. Many of us are just glad to see competent play on both sides of the field.

39 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Troll.

Point of fact...   Not a troll. Wish the case was otherwise.  And I look forward to coming back to this thread after our team puts up 500+ yards against aTm to praise the success.  I just take no joy from the shellacking of a mid-major, all things considered.  

1 minute ago, PatBoCamRob said:

Point of fact...   Not a troll. Wish the case was otherwise.  And I look forward to coming back to this thread after our team puts up 500+ yards against aTm to praise the success.  I just take no joy from the shellacking of a mid-major, all things considered.  

You and tombigbee are capable of praising AU?!? :-\

Considering how some of these "mid-major" schools are very much testing and some beating the "big boys" maybe you should celebrate a shellacking of a mid-major. 

Well seeing how we haven't played a complete game in all 3 phases like that in quite awhile I'd say that's enough to "hoot and holler" about regardless of who we played. 

At least we didn't go to OT... Chill out. It could've been WAY worse, and Auburn did what good teams do to those kind of teams. Can't fault fans for seeing a glimmer of hope 

You're shutting the pump down? Well, isn't that special!  Only problem is that there's more than one AU Sunshine and Rainbow Pump and the only one you own is your own personal unit...assuming you have one.  Never in my life have I seen such an influx of posts on AU boards seeking to find doom and gloom after a dominating win, even if that win was over a lesser (but still FBS) opponent.  And don't think that beating lesser opponents is a given, either. Ask Mississippi State after their loss  to  USA. Heck, ask UGA about their close, close call against Nichols State this last weekend.

AU's  offense looked like AU's offense for the first time in a while. And AU's defense is looking a lot like an AU defense again.  You can call that Sunshine and Rainbows if you want. I call that being an Auburn fan.

16 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

It's very trolly, regardless of what you wish to call it.

No one here was going overboard or declaring us in the running for an SEC title because of pummeling Arky St.  We were rightfully excited to see us put forth a coherent game plan and execute after the mess that was the Clemson game.  There have been years in recent memory where we played mid-majors and did not look impressive on offense.  I mean, it was just last year we were going to OT to put 27 on Jacksonville State and only managed 35 vs San Jose St.  

So pardon us if your "pump the brakes" looks more like you manufacturing a false narrative to puff yourself up.

Archived