I'm Shutting Down the Sunshine & Rainbow Pump

PatBoCamRob

Season ticket holder with nearly 1,000 posts. (More than that on a profile I forgot the password for.)  Not a troll.  I just call 'em like I see 'em.  Whether it's irrational exuberance or lowered expectations of other people...  I won't settle for a 2017 hype video full of Arky State clips.

By the way, if the team had played (been coached) like this against Clemson, we would have gotten to roll the new trees for the first time and said "we beat the #2 out of them."  But it didn't.  And, like others have said, the true test of whether the team can click on all cylinders against real talent will come later this month.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait are we at the point of the conversation where we start challenging people by how long they've been fans, where they went to school, and how much they write in a message board? BY GOD WE'VE DONE IT! WE'VE MADE THIS THREAD EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS THAN IT WAS TO BEGIN WITH!

What started as nothing more than someone stomping on others happiness and thanksgiving that our team finally played to their potential rather than playing down to the talent of an opponent has now become a "who's the bigger/better fan?" argument...

I think all of our work here is done... :laugh:

3 hours ago, PatBoCamRob said:

Season ticket holder with nearly 1,000 posts. (More than that on a profile I forgot the password for.)  Not a troll.  I just call 'em like I see 'em.  Whether it's irrational exuberance or lowered expectations of other people...  I won't settle for a 2017 hype video full of Arky State clips.

Eh.  You also like to stir the pot.  It's your M.O.

If you "call 'em like you see 'em," you need to update the Rx on those glasses.  Because you didn't "see" anyone getting the big head over Arky State.

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If you "call 'em like you see 'em," you need to update the Rx on those glasses.  Because you didn't "see" anyone getting the big head over Arky State.

Yeah! As far as I know, William Shatner wasn't even at the game. (Obscure reference to his character from 3rd Rock from the Sun.  It was there like low hanging fruit...had to take a swing. :big:)

Just because people see things in a positive way make them sunshine pumpers?  I choose to see the good in most but that doesn't mean I don't see the bad, I just choose not to dwell on it. Dwelling on negative tends to leave you feeling discouraged, angry, unsatisfied,  defensive, uneasiness,  etc... while choosing to see positive usually leads to contintment, enjoyment, good energy, etc... There is already enough negativity to go arount, I don't want to add to it. I am a sunshine pumper and not ashamed of it! War Eagle! 

I don't mind the "realistic", perhaps non-emotional observations. OP is not wrong in thinking that he needs to see substantial improvement against a P5 team before he feels comfortable. Chances are we aren't going to look nearly as good as we did last week until we play a cupcake again. I think some people don't like a particular tone when discussing negatives about the football team. But it shouldn't get in the way of others just being glad we saw some semblance of a cohesive, thought-out game plan and that we played well. It certainly didn't feel like that would be a given heading into the game vs Arky St. I also don't think those who are happy to see us win in the way we did can expect that type of performance vs LSU/TAMU. I realize people aren't truly expecting that, but there are still some red flags that could be major causes for conern/reasons we could come out on the wrong end of matchups that are worth talking about and discussing. If you've ever played sports, chances are your coaches were preaching the exact same message that some aren't too happy about hearing. Hammering home to the players that the level of competition wasn't that great, lets see it happen against a good team before feeling good about where we can go etc is most likely the message permeating throughout the football complex.

Step 1 was confidence, and the team gained some this past week. But I'd bet that even the coaches aren't feeling comfortable with portions of the team until they see it against a similarly constructed roster in terms of talent. I can see how one would think that since we were so close vs Clemson with that gameplan and how good we looked vs ArkState could mean we have a legitimate shot at being really good, but I personally like to wait and see. We have all been burned by false hope in the Auburn football world, some seem to forget about it quickly and some learn to take a more patient approach from it. Neither is right or wrong IMO

We should all keep in mind that some insane percentage of all of our yardage has come from freshman and sophomores. It usually doesn't bode well for teams in the SEC in conference play to rely so much on 1st and 2nd year players.

PCBR--"AS IF."

Image result for and god said let there be lightImage result for auburn sunset

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

We should all keep in mind that some insane percentage of all of our yardage has come from freshman and sophomores. It usually doesn't bode well for teams in the SEC in conference play to rely so much on 1st and 2nd year players.

The good news is that several of those sophomores played quite a bit last year, namely White and KJ. And the OL, porous though it may be, is loaded with upperclassmen. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The good news is that several of those sophomores played quite a bit last year, namely White and KJ. And the OL, porous though it may be, is loaded with upperclassmen. 

Yup. Very good point. I'm just in the mindset that we are "on the road" to these guys being very good to great contributors as opposed to expecting them to come out killing it each game at this point (not just SW & KJ, but other young guys getting meaningful snaps now as well). It's gonna be a challenge for these young guys to navigate the SEC schedule, as it always is. But, boy, in the next 1-2 seasons we have the potential to be scary good at the skill spots. I'm going to try to enjoy their process and growth (although admittedly during games emotion sometimes gets the best of me).There are certainly good things happening on the field that can be huge to build off of. We have a ton of talent up and down the roster. But here's to hoping the OL plays like their age starting this weekend.

I think with a team this young that it wouldn't be surprising that we could upset a team that is heavily favored against us but we can also look bad/lose against a team we should beat. That is a mark of a young, talented, but developing team. Luckily for us though is that the rest of the conference outside of Bama look to be very beatable. And even in the Iron Bowl, emotion is so high really anybody on either side can have an uncharacteristically good or bad day.

It honestly looks like the difference between a great and a mediocre season, this year, is going to be all about the O-Line and whether they decide to/are capable of putting this team on their backs and carrying them to wins.  The skill players are obviously there.  The battle is now firmly in the trenches. If we handle Miles Garrett (note: I said handle, not just survive), then it might be time to get excited about how far we can go.

That being said, if our O-Line can go from Clemson game level, to dominant in SEC play, Hand will have more than earned his paycheck.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

It honestly looks like the difference between a great and a mediocre season, this year, is going to be all about the O-Line and whether they decide to/are capable of putting this team on their backs and carrying them to wins.  The skill players are obviously there.  The battle is now firmly in the trenches. If we handle Miles Garrett (note: I said handle, not just survive), then it might be time to get excited about how far we can go.

That being said, if our O-Line can go from Clemson game level, to dominant in SEC play, Hand will have more than earned his paycheck.

I agree with everything you said except the handling of Myles Garrett. I don't think there's a team in the country that can handle him. IMO the best teams can hope for is to neutralize him. If we survive him we will be OK. He will be the best DE/pass rusher we, and essentially anyone else, will face all season. JMO

Just now, Tiger said:

I agree with everything you said except the handling of Myles Garrett. I don't think there's a team in the country that can handle him. IMO the best teams can hope for is to neutralize him. If we survive him we will be OK. He will be the best DE/pass rusher we, and essentially anyone else, will face all season. JMO

I agree completely.  If we can't handle him, which as you said is VERY hard to do, then the jury is still out on how excited we can get. I would, however, consider neutralizing him handling him.  I don't know that we or anyone else will be able to do much more than minimize damage.  I hope, by season end, everyone is saying he same about Carl.. and maybe even Marlon.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree completely.  If we can't handle him, which as you said is VERY hard to do, then the jury is still out on how excited we can get. I would, however, consider neutralizing him handling him.  I don't know that we or anyone else will be able to do much more than minimize damage.  I hope, by season end, everyone is saying he same about Carl.. and maybe even Marlon.

Gotcha. I misunderstood your post. I'm right there with you. It's going to be an interesting matchup. Hopefully he doesn't disrupt us too bad. I'm expecting him to have an impact on the game in some capacity though. My concern is we focus on Garrett and do a good enough job on him but their other end (Hall is his name I think?) and Daylon Mack win their matchups. This is going to be a massive test for our OL across the entire front. We are going to have to utilize the quick passing game and be productive in the run game to win this one and offset their DL IMO

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gotcha. I misunderstood your post. I'm right there with you. It's going to be an interesting matchup. Hopefully he doesn't disrupt us too bad. I'm expecting him to have an impact on the game in some capacity though. My concern is we focus on Garrett and do a good enough job on him but their other end (Hall is his name I think?) and Daylon Mack win their matchups. This is going to be a massive test for our OL across the entire front. We are going to have to utilize the quick passing game and be productive in the run game to win this one and offset their DL IMO

Fingers cross that, like in years past, their DL has the rush but still struggles in stopping the run.  If that ends up being the case, I wouldn't be at all opposed to giving them a big helping of Franklin and see if we can't wear their line out... 

regardless of opponent, the day I'm not excited about Auburn putting up 700+ on someone is the day I'm no longer an Auburn fan.

That being said, I will def be more excited if we put 700+ on Bama/UGA. :)

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes.  Stirring the pot is my M.O.  Glad you noticed.  But, being right all the time is also my M.O.

B)

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.47.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.47.04 PM.png

20 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

Yes.  Stirring the pot is my M.O.  Glad you noticed.  But, being right all the time is also my M.O.

B)

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.47.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.47.04 PM.png

:lol:  The troll thinks he's right with 2 references of a fan base enjoying a win.  :lol:  How comical.   I still haven't seen one post anywhere here that has over played our win over Arkansas State.   There's been quite a few dirty diapers such as yourself pissing all over those of us that choose to enjoy the win.     Why is it so difficult for you to accept that people are happy over what they saw?  We all know who the opponent was, we also know competition is going to be much tougher.  There is no delusion here.   Not one person here has proclaimed us as SEC champions or anything remotely close to it after this win.  Those types of things are made up in your head to justify your pot stirring. 

Truly amazing that you are seeing stuff here that really doesn't exist.    If we play well Saturday and win the game, my guess is you'll come back here with another dirty diaper and something else to find fault with.  It's what you do.  While you wallow in negativity and pessimism, most of us will enjoy the win for what it was and look forward to the next game.  Perhaps one day you'll change your diaper.

I'm just happy to be celebrating a dominate win.  Teams will get better every week and to come out after that silly offensive game plan against Clemson and look like the offense we'd hope we'd see gives me hope.  Auburn still has a way to go and the running game still concerns me against legit competition but everything else looks good.

Quarterback = improved

WR = improved

TE = do we have one?

OL= work in progress

RB = depends on OL

DL = good but could be better

LB = Improved

DBs = Improved

Special Teams =  best in SEC

2014 TaMu was Auburn's fall.  2016 TaMu could be Auburn's redemption.  If Auburn wins this game, beats LSU next week, and goes into October 4-1 watch out!

Okay, it was me.

I'm the one who treated this win over the mighty Red Wolves like the '89 Iron Bowl, 2011 BCS Championship & the Kick 6 all rolled into one.

But now, thanks to this thread, I see the error of my ways. I am now schooled and feel much more realistic about the team's chances this week.

It feels good to be void if those pesky Unicorns blowing Rainbows out of their Sunshine holes, I must admit.

Thank you so much for that.

*whispers carefully* "war eagle"

22 hours ago, MichAU12 said:

Only read a page or two of this, but I made a similar statement a few days ago. I got equally criticized. You aren't alone I your thoughts. We beat a team that lost to Toledo a week earlier. While we put up a ton of yards, we are going to have to up our performance next week. Not saying it can't happen, but I need to see us produce against a good team before I'm sold. Considering that aTm has not had a good defense the last few years, it may be the LSU game before we really know how good we are. I hope we do well, buying still cautiously optimistic. Arky state had an awful secondary...

TAMU is a much better team than LSU. If we beat TAMU, of which I think we have a decent chance of doing, we will shut down LSU's lame offense and should win that one by at least 10 or more points. LSU is in trouble and this could spell the end of Les Miles. My guess is that LSU will wind up with an 8-4 season record. LSU fans think that LSU is on the same page as bammer. However, this is just not the case and will not change in the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, PatBoCamRob said:

B)

Nope.  Still confused as to the difference between enjoying a win and thinking we're on our way to a natty is what you are.

Go piss on Auburn fans daring to enjoy a win somewhere else.  

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, it was me.

I'm the one who treated this win over the mighty Red Wolves like the '89 Iron Bowl, 2011 BCS Championship & the Kick 6 all rolled into one.

But now, thanks to this thread, I see the error of my ways. I am now schooled and feel much more realistic about the team's chances this week.

It feels good to be void if those pesky Unicorns blowing Rainbows out of their Sunshine holes, I must admit.

Thank you so much for that.

*whispers carefully* "war eagle"

Me too.  I actually watched the replay and,   ... ...  and liked what I saw!  Whew -- it feels good to get that off my chest!  I might have gone on and enjoyed the outcome of that game for more than a couple of days.   

Archived