no love from the sec channel for auburn?

aubiefifty

nick fairley's ****  *****  ***** ******  in his last iron bowl and ol booger seem to be giving love to most but auburn. maybe i just keep missing it. than a close friend said we won last week and went down in the polls? what is the deal here? and i have not been able to see the last auburn arkie st. replays so i could just enjoy it again and damn if they are not playing it. good grief. i get tired of the little brother or red headed step child thing people seem to paint us with. are there some kind of major things that the "guru's" see going on that i do not? i will never pretend to know a lot about the game but all i see is a lot of talent and the drive to get better. so wth?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are in "wait and see" mode.  We have two excellent opportunities in front of us to show where we are - that the Arky State game is indicative of the trend going forward rather than the schizophrenic offensive scheme we saw against Clemson.  Beat A&M this week and we likely break into the rankings.

They re-aired the game yesterday at 6:30 am CT and will show it again at 11 pm CT tomorrow night. 

You can still see the game from your computer without commercials. http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2874557/

If you have a Roku the replay is still there for 1 more day under channels, SEC+, Saturday Replays.

20 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Clemson is looking less and less impressive with each game they play.   Auburn just has to win to get notices.  

Clemson struggling this week had more to do with our drop than we did by winning. 

To repeat what everyone else in this thread has said - we need to win to get respect. We have not beat a power 5 team at home since 2014. Let's start by getting that monkey off of back. The next 2 weeks are pretty big for the Gus Bus regime at AU. 

thanx ellitor.

22 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

Simple fix. Don't watch SEC network.

Even simpler fix - record the game and watch it as much as you want, any time you want.:dunno:

Bottom line I am an Auburn fan and I am still in wait and see mode so just beating a bad Arky. St. team and a close lose to Clemson doesn't do it for me yet. If we win the next two games I'll be there but not after last year. It got so bad last year I recorded every game and only watched when we won. It just drove me crazy not only that we lost but how we lost. My wife got mad at me for yelling at the TV so I just stopped. For some reason I handle it better if I'm at the game. All that said I saw some things Saturday that give me hope.

I think former players have difficulty talking highly about teams they used to hate.  Booger doesn't seem to say much nice stuff about AU in studio, although I have seen him give props via twitter on certain aspects of AU games (he complimented the AU defense against Clemson).  Same for Matt Stinchcomb when he's doing the commentating in our games.  He doesn't seem a fan of AU.

Just win and they can't ignore AU anymore.  It's two weeks into the season, so I won't get too bent outta shape about it.  Yet. 

8 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

I think former players have difficulty talking highly about teams they used to hate.  Booger doesn't seem to say much nice stuff about AU in studio, although I have seen him give props via twitter on certain aspects of AU games (he complimented the AU defense against Clemson).  Same for Matt Stinchcomb when he's doing the commentating in our games.  He doesn't seem a fan of AU.

Just win and they can't ignore AU anymore.  It's two weeks into the season, so I won't get too bent outta shape about it.  Yet. 

I don't expect any love from ANY of the networks. I seldom watch the SEC network, but when I do, I often see commercials that favors some teams more prominently vs. Auburn. Why was Stinkcomb allowed to call our spring game while Cole Cubelic called the MSU spring game?  I can't stand Stinkcomb and listen to our radio broadcast(even with the delay, it's less annoying than listening to that big galoot) instead.

Just now, imaolgatiger said:

I don't expect any love from ANY of the networks.

I've actually been surprised this year. Both Herbstreit and, of all people, Palmer have noted the talent at Auburn this year and said not to count us out. That's high praise from people who work for ESPN.

I've found throughout my life as an Auburn fan that there are quite a few AU fans who seem to find great joy in looking under every stone for anything about AU that can be even remotely perceived as negative. If nothing is to be found, they will invent things. It is just the way of many Auburn fans, and it can drive you nuts if you let it.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I've actually been surprised this year. Both Herbstreit and, of all people, Palmer have noted the talent at Auburn this year and said not to count us out. That's high praise from people who work for ESPN.

Palmer surprised me last week. Not because he was complimentary of Auburn, but because he seemed really well prepared for the broadcast. He might end up being pretty good at that job. Particularly impressive that he's simultaneously having to defer to Brent's experience and steer the ship. Brent just makes me sad.

Herbstreit jobbed us hard in '04 but the dude knows his stuff. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Palmer surprised me last week. Not because he was complimentary of Auburn, but because he seemed really well prepared for the broadcast. He might end up being pretty good at that job. Particularly impressive that he's simultaneously having to defer to Brent's experience and steer the ship. Brent just makes me sad.

After re-watching some of the game, I also was surprised by Palmer.  Other than that fact that he either truly loves his own voice (which is highly possible) or he seems to think it's radio and you can't have "dead air" and won't shut-up, I concur with you.  He seems to be taking his job seriously and I feel he's fair when he calls a game for anybody.  (Unlike Matt Stinchcomb who loves to get in his jabs...  intelligent guy but wears thUga on his sleeve.  Not a fan of his, at all..)

As for Brent.... he's sorta like ol' Harry Carey.  I actually have always LIKED Brent "Gushberger" as my Dad always called him.  Over the years he's called some really good Auburn games ('94 Florida game) and in my opinion he, many times, seems to actually be PULLING for Auburn and I would actually understand if opposing teams' fans complained about him.  I'm sure some will have examples of the opposite, and that's fine, but I like Brent.

Herbstreit?  He knows his stuff but he's sorta a politician.  He likes to take the temperature of the room and roll with it.  He's often been very complimentary of Auburn and even picked them when nobody else does.  I think it evens out with him.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Palmer surprised me last week. Not because he was complimentary of Auburn, but because he seemed really well prepared for the broadcast. ... Brent just makes me sad.

Agreed... but he'll have to lose the smug air about him before I will be able to fully enjoy a broadcast he is on.  
As for Brent... most of the older broadcasters are reaching or past their prime.  I don't listen to Chiefs football much in KC, but they have Len Dawson working color for the local broadcast, and more often than not, when he opens his mouth its to make some sort of Captain Obvious comment... it just makes you shake your head and think "bless his heart". When you're in your 80's it's time to enjoy the game and give someone else a chance behind the mic.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Herbie earned my respect back when he was the first on the 2010 championship bandwagon... yea, he slipped, but he gave us credit when no one else did.

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

(Unlike Matt Stinchcomb who loves to get in his jabs...  intelligent guy but wears thUga on his sleeve.  Not a fan of his, at all..)

Agree/nor I

I actually have always LIKED Brent "Gushberger" as my Dad always called him. 

The way he calls everybody by their first name, intimating that he has dinner with every single person in football weekly... it makes my skin crawl. I don't know why.

Herbstreit?  He knows his stuff but he's sorta a politician.  He likes to take the temperature of the room and roll with it.  He's often been very complimentary of Auburn and even picked them when nobody else does.  I think it evens out with him.

True.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When you're in your 80's it's time to enjoy the game and give someone else a chance behind the mic.

Yeah. Easier said than done, I know, but... yeah. 

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I did that on Saturday and it completely cut off the 4th quarter. 

ALWAYS tell it to record for an an extra hour, or half hour at least. Football games so rarely fit into the 3 hour window the programming geniuses keep providing.

Palmer has been better this year re Auburn. Booger had some good things to say before the Clemson game, such as "Clemson better not take this Auburn team lightly, especially this defense" etc. It's just opinions anyway. The bottom line is winning takes care of all the rest of it.

25 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I did that on Saturday and it completely cut off the 4th quarter. 

With Dish, I can set my record timer to go up to an hour after the allotted time. Most DVRs can do that and I would recommend it on sports games.

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

ALWAYS tell it to record for an an extra hour, or half hour at least. Football games so rarely fit into the 3 hour window the programming geniuses keep providing.

Yeah, that's one of my big pet peeves....  They keep pretending the games are getting longer and trying to figure out how to shorten the games.

Uhh.... no... it's the COMMERCIALS that are getting longer!!  But they treat us like we're too dumb to figure that out.  sigh....  

*Okay, off of soapbox.*

Archived