LSU head coach

milehighfan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keesler said:

I don't see Ed Orgeron and Steve Ensminger  :puke: getting them over that hump.

I am taking a wait and see approach to Coach O.  He's had a lot of years under different programs to improve his skills since Ole Miss.  As for Ensminger... I completely agree.  If they keep Coach O, they need to let him clean house on the offensive side of the ball.

21 hours ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Not sure the cupboard was stacked ever at Ole Miss until Freeze came in and bought a few recruiting classes.  Although Cutcliffe had some good to great players on his teams. 

Well maybe stacked is too strong a word, but Nutt did come in and post back to back 9-4 seasons with Orgeron's recruits, which was pretty good for Ole Miss at the time.

Edit: And yeah, I can't believe they have their sights set on Charlie Strong.:dunno:

26 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I couldn't believe it when I read Strong was at or near the top of their list. I wonder if Jumbo and Herman have already given them a cold shoulder.

Could be....but not surprising if so.   LSU will be like most major schools.....not as attractive as they think they are.    I just can't see any of those high profile coaches jumping into the meat grinder that is the SEC West.    There is just nothing to gain that I can see.     Which, IMO means that someone like Orgeron will be the best they can do....hoping that's the case anyway.  

56 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I couldn't believe it when I read Strong was at or near the top of their list. I wonder if Jumbo and Herman have already given them a cold shoulder.

That is what I've read on other boards. Herman is holding out for Texas and Jimbo is staying but at FSU.

If LSU has to settle for Strong ... they will have the beginning of a coaching carousel. Miles should never have been fired without a coach in place.

Nope..they'll go after a big name. Interim Ed might do a good job but he's not an SEC coach..IF Les was not good enough then definitely Coach O is not. 

11 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Lame Kitten??

Why not.....but anyone LSU is likely to be able to sign is a huge roll of the dice.....and meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing their coaching carousel get under way as 57 suggested.   

Just love it when the PTB decide that they can do better than some guy who has won about 75% of his games. Seems there was a time a while back that the SEC was considered a top "coaches league"....with a bunch of experienced coaches with good resume's ....and looks like most are gone now....killed each other off and victims of rich donors.   Now it's full of moderately successful coaches and some HC's in training.

After O cleaned up Kiffen's mess at usc there is no way LSU can push O out and replace him with LK! Assuming LSU finishes strong with O. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

After O cleaned up Kiffen's mess at usc there is no way LSU can push O out and replace him with LK! Assuming LSU finishes strong with O. 

I don't know...it's pretty hard to over-estimate the intelligence of college ADs.....get pushed and pulled from all directions and lots of foolish decisions are made because they are the course of least resistance. 

Meanwhile they are preparing the press release:     "We are happy to announce that (fill in blank later) has taken the job as Head Coach at LSU.  He is one of the bright minds in college football today and will bring a new era of success to Tiger land., yada , yada, yada ...."

On 10/19/2016 at 0:40 PM, 80Tiger said:

You think Kelly would bolt the 49rs after 1 yr? And for probably less money? Not sure I see it.

He could just got back to Oregon, maybe even USC. IMO They would dump Helton in a heartbeat if Chip was interested. Keep an eye on Lane Kiffen....

On 10/20/2016 at 10:18 AM, AuGrad2004 said:

I can not believe I saw where Charlie Strong is at the top of their list........  

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/charlie-strong-at-the-top-of-lsus-wish-list/

Charlie is hell of a coach and recruiter. I don't think he ever had a legit shot at Texas. Not to mention Mack left the program in shambles (particularly at the QB spot) He would not be my first choice but he would not be off my list either.

On 10/20/2016 at 0:13 AM, tiger88 said:

How does an entire state coach a football team? 

Ask a bammer..they think they run the show as much as sabear.

6 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Charlie is hell of a coach and recruiter. I don't think he ever had a legit shot at Texas. Not to mention Mack left the program in shambles (particularly at the QB spot) He would not be my first choice but he would not be off my list either.

Strong is a good DC.  He is not a hell of a head coach.  He is a weak HC as he is proving at UT.   If I were an LSU fan, if LSU had to "settle" after missing on Herman and Jimbo, I would rather have Coach O as HC than Strong.

wde

2 hours ago, 17-16 said:

I am going with B Petrino

I would be far less worried about LSU hiring Chip Kelly than I would LSU hiring Petrino.  

wde

40 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Strong is a good DC.  He is not a hell of a head coach.  He is a weak HC as he is proving at UT.   If I were an LSU fan, if LSU had to "settle" after missing on Herman and Jimbo, I would rather have Coach O as HC than Strong.

wde

He was a damn good HC at Louisville which was the precursor to him getting the Texas job

9 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

He was a damn good HC at Louisville which was the precursor to him getting the Texas job

No.  He was decent at Louisville at best.  He was a PC hire at UT after Saban fell through. 

wde

Archived