11/24/16 LSU

Auburn (5-2)

Remaining Schedule:

10/29/16 @ Mississippi    
11/05/16 Vanderbilt    
11/12/16 @ Georgia    
11/19/16 Alabama A&M    
11/26/16 @ Alabama

Auburn's chance to make the playoffs may not be easy, but may be a little bit larger than people would imagine if they win out and win the SEC Championship. I will begin by giving my assessment of what the committee will look for in order of presumed preference of picking the spots and looking at the remaining teams schedules.

1. Undefeated SEC Champion        5. One Loss SEC Champion     9. Two Loss SEC Champion    12. One Loss SEC Team

2. Undefeated Big Ten Champion   7. One Loss Big Ten Champion

3. Undefeated ACC Champion        8. One Loss  ACC Champion

4. Undefeated Pac 12 Champion    10. One Loss Pac 12 Champion

6. Undefeated Big 12 Champion     11. One Loss Big 12 Champion

Assuming The Big Ten and the ACC Champions come out with one or less loss, they would take two spots. That leaves a spot for an undefeated Pac 12 or Big 12 team. With a one loss champion in either conference, the debate would certainly be between Auburn and that team with Auburn getting the edge. So Auburn will not only be fighting with Texas A&M and Alabama for a spot to play for the SEC Championship, but also Baylor, West Virginia, Washington and Utah for a spot in the playoffs .

If Auburn wins out with 2 losses and wins the SEC we will not be left out of the playoffs. No way that happens. Some one loss teams will be pissed off.

4 minutes ago, WinningTradition said:

If Auburn wins out with 2 losses and wins the SEC we will not be left out of the playoffs. No way that happens. Some one loss teams will be pissed off.

An undefeated Washington and an undefeated Baylor/West Virginia can keep us out. That's the only way I see it.

It's to early to worry about playoffs, a lot football to be played. We just need to keep winning games and see what happens.

8 hours ago, WinningTradition said:

Don't see it. We got left out in 04, and had to have help in 10 and 13 to get in even though we had same record with those teams. A 2 loss team will not go before a 1 loss team. 

13 minutes ago, Auburn4life said:

Yep, and would be bamtards so lets hope A&M losses another one lsu or ole miss

This is all we need to be concerned with. And beating bammer of course.

We can definitely make the playoffs. The difference now is that there is a human committee that can account for things like improvement throughout the year. If we make it clear we are one of the top 4 teams in the country at the end of the year, we'll be in.

I will be happy for us to win a SEC championship and a good top bowl game. We will be ready for next year to make the run for the NC. I am sure if we could redo the first two games we would be undefeated but there are no do overs. So lets get a SEC ring and a good starting point for next year. This team is young and we have a lot of freshmen making their mark already. We should be ready for a long stretch. WDE

4 hours ago, countoff said:

If A&M, Bama, and Auburn all have one loss to each other, who goes to SEC championship?

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I will be happy for us to win a SEC championship and a good top bowl game. We will be ready for next year to make the run for the NC. I am sure if we could redo the first two games we would be undefeated but there are no do overs. So lets get a SEC ring and a good starting point for next year. This team is young and we have a lot of freshmen making their mark already. We should be ready for a long stretch. WDE

4 hours ago, countoff said:

3 hours ago, Auburn4life said:

As long as we are strictly limited the wishes, here:

An open letter to Interim Head Coach Orgeron –

Sir:

Congratulations on you recent promotion.

Today (23 Oct), I heard an ESPN commentator opine that your closing out 3-1 might well enhance your chances of making your new position permanent.

I wish you the best in becoming Interim Head Coach Orgeron.

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, NYTiger said:

This changed in 2014 when the BCS ended.  Now it is the records of the teams you play in the East.  Start rooting for Georgia and Vandy.

http://www.secsports.com/article/11145479/sec-divisional-tie-breaker

Bama would have better record then with Tenn and Kent. Auburn has GA n vandy. A&M has Tenn and s.car

So we need to win out and A&M to lose one

Like it or not, UA is widely considered the best team in college football by a wide margin and, rightfully so.  No matter what happens, if we win all of our remaining games, we ARE the best team in college football and, the SEC west IS the toughest league in college football.  At the same time, if there is no SEC Championship, no National Championship to show for it, it is our fault.  We weren't prepared at the beginning of the season.

More importantly though, there is something within this realization about trophies.  Whether they are championship trophies or participation trophies.  Sometimes, they don't mean as much, or as little, as what we believe they do.

Regardless of what happens, this team has my respect.  They didn't quit.  They continue to work and get better.  So, special mention to Cox and Cowart.  Both have been called out by name this season.  Both played well yesterday.  That did not simply come from opportunity.  It came from effort and attitude.

6 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Don't see it. We got left out in 04, and had to have help in 10 and 13 to get in even though we had same record with those teams. A 2 loss team will not go before a 1 loss team. 

10 team didn't need help. They went undefeated and beat like 6 ranked teams.  13 needed help forsure 

I feel a undefeated Michigan, Washington and Clemson take 3 playoff slots.

The final spot will be a toss up.  It will come down to one of- bama, aTm, Auburn, Florida or Baylor, West Virginia, or Oklahoma. There are to many "IF's" for the last slot. 

1 hour ago, Auburn4life said:

Bama would have better record then with Tenn and Kent. Auburn has GA n vandy. A&M has Tenn and s.car

So we need to win out and A&M to lose one more

Edit mine.

WDE

So work with me for a second here. There is a potential scenario that could occur going into the last weekend of the year. If a rejuvenated LSU takes down Bama at home, and bama, auburn, and tamu win out, then the last week would feature 6-1 Auburn versus 6-1 bama, and 6-1 LSU versus 6-1 TAMU. If that were to happen each combination of wins would generate a different SEC west champion.

AU and LSU win, auburn is in
AU and TAMU win, TAMU is in
Bama and LSU win, LSU is in
BAMA and TAMU win, Bama is in

If that were to unfold, the final weekend of the regular season could be the most chaotically impactful final weekend in the history of the SEC. Part of me wants to see it happen, but another part of me wishes that our fate wouldn't rely on another team losing, so preferably TAMU could come in at 5-2 but i don't see their second loss until possibly LSU.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

10 team didn't need help. They went undefeated and beat like 6 ranked teams.  13 needed help forsure 

Well in wk 9 we were ranked 3 but I guess our strength of schedule moved us up. So 10 team did it on their own.

Archived