I've yet to see one of those I actually like.  It's a gimmick.  I especially hate it when both teams do it at the same time and I can't tell who the hell is playing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be OK with solid blue uniforms but the blue helmet just does not do it.  

But I'm all for doing a game with "throw-back" uniforms...like the 1957 team in celebration of their national championship.  Uniforms with helmets and all.   Check this picture....but wait a minute.....who is that guy in the chase wearing #60? 

ed-dyasjpg-2f35cdcfec1cb556.jpg

In the NFL, each team has one "color rush" uniform to wear in one game. 

Would be nice to have that for entertainment purposes against one garbage team. This would allow us to keep the mainstay uniforms traditional.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

In the NFL, each team has one "color rush" uniform to wear in one game. 

Would be nice to have that for entertainment purposes against one garbage team. This would allow us to keep the mainstay uniforms traditional.

And they all look hideous.  Some look like they're playing in footie pajamas.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

And they all look hideous.  Some look like they're playing in footie pajamas.

Panthers looks okay. I'm not saying we should do color rush uniforms, but that we could deviate from the norm one game. That won't hurt anything but the feelings of some of the oldheads.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Panthers looks okay. I'm not saying we should do color rush uniforms, but that we could deviate from the norm one game. That won't hurt anything but the feelings of some of the oldheads.

It always gets put on the people who don't want to see the garish, gimmicky uniform stuff - as if it's they who are preoccupied with minor stuff that doesn't matter.  Well, the flip side of that is equally true, if not moreso:  it won't hurt anything to stick with the uniforms we have and the "we gots ta have alternates" crowd is preoccupied with meaningless stuff.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It always gets put on the people who don't want to see the garish, gimmicky uniform stuff - as if it's they who are preoccupied with minor stuff that doesn't matter.  Well, the flip side of that is equally true, if not moreso:  it won't hurt anything to stick with the uniforms we have and the "we gots ta have alternates" crowd is preoccupied with meaningless stuff.

It's not meaningless at all if its to strengthen the fan experience. They can also motivate the players-  Georgia's blackout game against  us when they were doing the stanky leg on the field.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

it won't hurt anything to stick with the uniforms we have

Hell, it won't hurt anything to sit on your hands, that doesn't mean it should be done.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

It's not meaningless at all if its to strengthen the fan experience. They can also motivate the players-  Georgia's blackout game against  us when they were doing the stanky leg on the field.

Hell, it won't hurt anything to sit on your hands, that doesn't mean it should be done.

Meh.  It's a gimmick.  The "strengthening of the fan experience" lasts about 10 minutes.

And those same blackout jerseys were worn when they've gotten their ass beat a couple of times - once by Alabama that I know of.

I just think we don't have one of those boring uniforms that need the gimmicky, flashing, tacky stuff they do with these things.  And frankly, it looks terrible on every other team I see do it as well.  I like us being stubborn about it along with a few other schools like Alabama, Penn State, and USC.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't think sitting on one's hands really falls into the same category as uniforms.  The entire point of being at the game live is to cheer for one of the teams.  Coming up with crazy uniform alternates, not so much.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And those same blackout jerseys were worn when they've gotten their ass beat a couple of times - once by Alabama that I k

Those blackout jerseys didn't contribute to the loss. Wearing a certain jersey will not enable you to beat superior teams. It can help the players become better motivated though. And that's a fact.

So if there is a slight chance it will help, and if they're at your disposal, why not use them?

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Those blackout jerseys didn't contribute to the loss. Wearing a certain jersey will not enable you to beat superior teams. It can help the players become better motivated though. And that's a fact.

So if there is a slight chance it will help, and if they're at your disposal, why not use them?

Pfffft.

You don't get to claim extra motivation to help you win a game then say they don't matter when you lose. 

They are of zero effect, except to look inferior to the uniform you already have.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I am a fan and I get to 'decide' as much as anyone else.

Well the strength of your voice may or may not pale greatly to the majority of your fellow Auburn fans if they think otherwise.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Well the strength of your voice may or may not pale greatly to the majority of your fellow Auburn fans if they think otherwise.

I realize that.  But I'll speak up at every opportunity to voice my opposition to it and try to embolden as many others as I can to do likewise.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Pfffft.

You don't get to claim extra motivation to help you win a game then say they don't matter when you lose. 

They are of zero effect, except to look inferior to the uniform you already have.

That's bull. And I doubt you have the knowledge to make such claims. I've put many uniforms on in my life, and I still remember the chillbumps of putting them on.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That's bull. And I doubt you have the knowledge to make such claims. I've put many uniforms on in my life, and I still remember the chillbumps of putting them on.

I played sports most of my youth.  I know what it feels like to put on a uniform whether the sport was football, basketball, baseball or soccer.  But the notion that a uniform you're overly jazzed about helps you win games, but somehow it is of no consequence when you lose is what's bull.  You can believe whatever makes you feel better, but if anyone is lacking knowledge - specifically logic - it's you in this argument.

Here's a novel idea... instead of being just like everyone else who always tries a gimmicky uniform every now and then, how about we be Auburn who are known for their traditional uniforms, since we pride ourselves on all our other traditions.  The amount of controversy something like this would generate in our fanbase would not be worth it.  Anyone remember the majorette boot debacle circa 2004?  You'd have thought the world was ending over that.  I can't imagine the fallout if the football team did this, even if some were happy for a minute or two.  

15 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We should come out for the kickoff wearing the orange jerseys in the Sugar bowl.

How about we just have Kendall Briles wear an orange t-shirt at home while Tracy Rocker brushes up on his secondary coaching skills?

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

ut somehow it is of no consequence when you lose is what's b

I'm not saying they're of no consequence when you lose. Having extra motivation isn't going to gurantee wins against Superior teams. Ask LSU, they wanted to win badly against Bama and had all the momentum and motivation in the world but they still died a slow death. Having extra motivation can help but the superior teams still usually wins. But don't accuse me of not having logic if you're reasoning is "it doesn't hurt to stick with what we got."

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm not saying they're of no consequence when you lose. Having extra motivation isn't going to gurantee wins against Superior teams. Ask LSU, they wanted to win badly against Bama and had all the momentum and motivation in the world but they still died a slow death. Having extra motivation can help but the superior teams still usually wins. 

I'm saying they are of no consequence after about the first 5 minutes you run on the field from the locker room, if that.  Whether you wear regular jersey, or alternates, the superior team still usually wins.  Period.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm saying they are of no consequence after about the first 5 minutes you run on the field from the locker room, if that.  Whether you wear regular jersey, or alternates, the superior team still usually wins.  Period.

As someone who studies visual psychology as part of my job, there are times I wonder if Oregon and Boise use their uniforms for a tactical advantage. I know Oregon has used visual tricks to make them look like they are moving faster, which I guess could throw off defenders angles, and I would think some of their brighter uniforms could have an distractive effect. As for Boise... the blue uniform on a blue field crap has to throw some teams off.

UPDATE - I just found a study done in England of soccer teams and they found correlating evident that uniforms that had less contrast from the field gave a quantifiable advantage.  They also studied different colors in both soccer and the NFL and found that teams that wear red, in soccer, have a disproportionate number of wins and that teams that wear black, in the NFL, have a disproportionate number of penalties,

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

As someone who studies visual psychology as part of my job, there are times I wonder if Oregon and Boise use their uniforms for a tactical advantage. I know Oregon has used visual tricks to make them look like they are moving faster, which I guess could throw off defenders angles, and I would think some of their brighter uniforms could have an distractive effect. As for Boise... the blue uniform on a blue field crap has to throw some teams off.

UPDATE - I just found a study done in England of soccer teams and they found correlating evident that uniforms that had less contrast from the field gave a quantifiable advantage.  They also studied different colors in both soccer and the NFL and found that teams that wear red, in soccer, have a disproportionate number of wins and that teams that wear black, in the NFL, have a disproportionate number of penalties,

Interesting. I can imagine that, all things equal, something like color psychology could give one team a slight edge. But seeing as Oregon went 4-8 (I think) this year despite having the flashiest unis around, there are other variables that seem to have a greater impact on success.

Archived