So much for hiring Kendal Briles

EclecticTiger

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Is it new blood or does Gus just need a Qb that can execute at an efficient rate. His offense has only struggled when their has been inexperience or lack of talent at QB. I like KB, and the passing offense they ran, maybe after some time at FAU he comes here, especially if Lashlee moves up and on to another place....

Both, I think. The passing game needs some evolution, in my mind, regardless of anything else. But here's hoping that Rhett does move up and on next year, because that will mean our offense played well, rather than him being the scapegoat to allow Malzahn to stick around another year.

I thought the Game plan CRL had this season was outstanding. White was just a little limited in running it. The exact same offense with Stidham would Excell. It was similar to the Todd and Cam offense combined. Just didn't have enough arm talent to take full advantage of it. White left about 10 TD on the field with missed or under thrown deep balls.

3 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I thought the Game plan CRL had this season was outstanding. White was just a little limited in running it. The exact same offense with Stidham would Excell. It was similar to the Todd and Cam offense combined. Just didn't have enough arm talent to take full advantage of it. White left about 10 TD on the field with missed or under thrown deep balls.

This. CRL seems a lot more open to passing than Gus. You could see it in his game plans. 

Look, guys....Baylor just got slapped with NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations. K. Briles was their recruiting coordinator. He was called to NCAA HQ in Kansas City to answer questions prior to the NCAA sanctions. I don't think Auburn or any other power-5 school would touch K. Briles with a 10-foot pole right now. There's enough trouble out there without going out and asking for more trouble.

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Look, guys....Baylor just got slapped with NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations. K. Briles was their recruiting coordinator. He was called to NCAA HQ in Kansas City to answer questions prior to the NCAA sanctions. I don't think Auburn or any other power-5 school would touch K. Briles with a 10-foot pole right now. There's enough trouble out there without going out and asking for more trouble.

The infractions were a joke.  And Baylor agreed to a $5000 fine. Not really a program killer. I mean really, he attended a track meet. He didn't even "bump" into recruits like others do consistently without reproach. You act like he was caught on camera with recruits snorting lines between stacks of cash and hookers cheeks.

The NCAA fined Baylor $5,000 but will not issue additional penalties after Baylor reprimanded the coaches independently in 2015.

JMO but coaches don't get called to NCAA HQ just to talk about some minor infraction.  I'm thinking the stuff at Baylor is far from over.

FAU has an unsuccessful football program and has now hired a head football coach that never successfully ran a football program at any level and failed to find a HC job at a power 5 conference team.   Now that HC takes in a former HC coach that was fired for not trying to control criminal conduct by his players.    

Just amazing  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but coaches don't get called to NCAA HQ just to talk about some minor infraction.  I'm thinking the stuff at Baylor is far from over.

It happens more than most people know.

1 hour ago, cptau said:

FAU has an unsuccessful football program and has now hired a head football coach that never successfully ran a football program at any level and failed to find a HC job at a power 5 conference team.   Now that HC takes in a former HC coach that was fired for not trying to control criminal conduct by his players.    

Just amazing  

Huh? When was KB fired and who the heck else is freaking FAU going to hire? This has given them a crap load of publicity .

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Also if it was just minor why did he land at FAU, one thing for sure they infractions did not help him in anyway...the Briles name just needs a cooling off period before a major school touches them.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Huh? When was KB fired and who the heck else is freaking FAU going to hire? This has given them a crap load of publicity .

If the kiffin/Briles hire was for 15 mins of publicity for FAU, I say they got ripped off.  Kiffin has proven he cannot be a head coach (no power 5 school would touch him for HC), and For Briles it is a springboard job to a prestigious HC position opens.

If FAU was smart they should of hired coaches that would stay around more than 1 year, 2 years tops.

52 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Also if it was just minor why did he land at FAU, one thing for sure they infractions did not help him in anyway...the Briles name just needs a cooling off period before a major school touches them.

That is probably true but I notice that several Ole Miss coaches have changed jobs for no " apparent"reason lately....and FAU probably can't be too choosy.  Just saying that the "issues" at both school are likely not done.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

The infractions were a joke.  And Baylor agreed to a $5000 fine. Not really a program killer. I mean really, he attended a track meet. He didn't even "bump" into recruits like others do consistently without reproach. You act like he was caught on camera with recruits snorting lines between stacks of cash and hookers cheeks.

The NCAA fined Baylor $5,000 but will not issue additional penalties after Baylor reprimanded the coaches independently in 2015.

No, I'm acting like he got called, in person, to Kansas City to be interviewed (interrogated). We know from our own experience how slowly the NCAA moves. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that in six months Young Mr. Briles finds himself in a "show cause" situation.

9 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Because it's a publicity problem, not an NCAA problem. Also, he has only one year outside of his father, and many would question if it was really Kendal who made the offense good or if Art was behind it (I've heard it's the opposite, but that's just hearsay). And it could well be that the younger Briles simply jumped at the first opportunity to ensure his employment, knowing that if a bigger school wants him but needs time to process in a new coordinator, he can always take the opportunity to move up should the offer come around.

Now, that's not to say a bigger program will take him away from FAU before he coaches for a year or two there (provided he does well, of course), but don't be too surprised if it happens.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, I'm acting like he got called, in person, to Kansas City to be interviewed (interrogated). We know from our own experience how slowly the NCAA moves. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that in six months Young Mr. Briles finds himself in a "show cause" situation.

Except they have accepted the self imposed penalties on the coaches and university. And a show cause for attending a track meet where "the coaches were in a position to be seen by recruits"?  Its not that they were seen or had any contact, they might have been seen. It has obviously taken quite a bit for the NCAA to hand out a show cause and to think they "might", retroactively, impose a show cause on a coach that "might" have been seen by recruits at a track meet is A4E level absurd.

My entry into the "what if" game is … What if the NCAA invited him to the home office to discuss the entire Baylor situation.     Gave him a chance to tell the truth and after hearing what he had to say , gave him a slap on the wrist and sent him on his way to "sin no more". 

Isn't it a pretty common legal tactic to have a lower level person spill the beans on those above him? 

Just saying , we really don't know much about what went on in Kansas City except that KB received a minor penalty. And just saying, that his visit was not about KB .......it was about the entire Baylor situation . JMO

Do people really think that CRL did the game planning?  Do people really think he had full control over play calling?   Herb Hand was involved in both of these areas, you don't put an O-Line Coach in the booth for no reason.  Rhett is a follower, not a leader.

On 12/25/2016 at 1:28 PM, bigbird said:

It happens more than most people know.

Unless your name happens to be Saban and then you're taken at your word that it was a mistake and handled in-house.

Archived