Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

How the hell is #1 a positive for Auburn?  If Saban hasnt beaten a 9 win Auburn team after all the times Saban has played AU, then that reflects really poorly on Auburn doesn't it?

Lmao I have been saying this every time someone tries to bring that BS stat up.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DivisionN said:

This is not the same aggresive, confident Gus Malzahn that came to Auburn. We are tentative, slow and stupid. 

because he is not a big time conference head football coach. he is what we were told. A high school coach. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

because he is not a big time conference head football coach. he is what we were told. A high school coach. 

I think he would be a great lower level HC such as in the sunbelt, but his true calling is just being a coordinator. Iono..

(Yes, I know he took us to a NC)

I am just amazed at how we run the same play over and over.  Regardless of the outcome of the previous play or what tendencies the defense is showing. We drastically cut the motion, no playaction, no jet sweeps.  Just run the read or veer since SW isn't keeping it 99% of the time.  I enjoyed seeing OU creatively put their playmakers in space with the ball.  Good things happen with that kind of speed.

Just now, DAG said:

I think he would be a great lower level HC such as in the sunbelt, but his true calling is just being a coordinator. Iono..

I also think his niche is as a coordinator, but here we are. 

6 minutes ago, DC4AU04 said:

He should give it back for the play calling in the 2nd half and calling not 1, but 2 time outs to barely score a garbage time td.  Invest wisely Mal...  the villagers are gathering their pitchforks and torches.

All will be forgotten in a couple of weeks.  Just like last year and after the regular season this year...give it a few days and the sunshine pumpers will infiltrate the place with their ifs, ands,butts and shoulda, woulda, coulda rationalizations.  Then we will all forget that Gus should be firmly placed on the hot seat.  We will give him a pass and very little will change on the staff and we will all be praising the recruiting rankings again.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

His playcalling has got worse every year he has been calling plays in college. I doubt he could even be a OC. but yah his crap would kill probaly at a sun belt school.

His playcalling has got worse every year he has been calling plays in college. I doubt he could even be a OC. but yah his crap would kill probaly at a sun belt school.

I think part of that is him trying to juggle all the responsibilities. As an OC, he has one thing to worry about. Some people are meant to be HCs. Others can make a living off being coordinators. I just do not think he makes a good HC. No doubt he was a very good OC. He was great at Tulsa, Arkansas and here. 

I will almost never defend JJ, BUT this is what I wish Gus's post-2013 reward were much more like. I don't think even JJ could have envisioned us going 8-4 and going to the Sugar Bowl. I mean, Sugar traditionally means a 10+ win season...which we should have done anyway, but whatever.

I think the pressures and responsibilities of being a head coach have cramped his style as a play caller, so to speak. I mean, honestly, it's his 4th season and he still can't figure out what his role should be. 

2016 has been an identity crisis. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But it's still effective when your QB is hitting 77% of his throws and moving the chains.

SW moved the chains by his feet and by the vertical game some. Even then, he didn't do anything with it against good defenses. Which good defenses could we score on? Is dejected LSU all you got?

Hitting 77% of your throws means nothing to me. He completed 18-26 passes for 126 yards against Texas A&M. Great completion percentage, s***ty performance. 

Darn.... I was hoping this thread would be about Tom changing his fandom and taking several others with him.

Oh well... here's to the 2017 Tigers with a great starting QB and a reliable back-up.

Is he seriously going to run the read option with Stidham?  We finally have a player who doesn't seem to need a gimmicky offense to work in.  I have been really private with my opinions on Gus as they really don't matter to anyone but me.  But, if he doesn't get back to more mad offensive scientist and less stroking out in the sideline about whatever he is always mad about we are going to be paying a huge buyout soon and starting over...again.

Just now, DAG said:

I think part of that is him trying to juggle all the responsibilities. As an OC, he has one thing to worry about. Some people are meant to be HCs. Others can make a living off being coordinators. I just do not think he makes a good HC. No doubt he was a very good OC. He was great at Tulsa, Arkansas and here. 

See unlike will muschamp who's defenses were GREAT when he was a head coach at florida. gus calling card offense just keeps getting worse with him as head coach. Hiring muschamp as a coordinator back when he got fired when he was the hottest commodity for a assistant that offseason. I do not see that happening with gus. Our offenses just get worse each year under him. 

Turning point in the game? How do you figure that? We did what we should have done but it didnt matter. Wouldnt have mattered if we went for it either - even if we had gotten it.

ESPN reported during its broadcast of the game that White did not throw in Auburn's final practice Saturday and left to get an x-ray from team trainer Dr. James Andrews. Later in the broadcast Kaylee Hartung said Malzahn did not know if White's arm was broken or not. 

"We need to run the football anyway, we'll throw it deep some with him too," head coach Gus Malzahn told Auburn's radio broadcast at halftime.

If all that's true, Malzahn should be fired and probably shot.  Really not believing what I witnessed tonight.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Darn.... I was hoping this thread would be about Tom changing his fandom and taking several others with him.

Oh well... here's to the 2017 Tigers with a great starting QB and a reliable back-up.

come on lion heart please do not pump any sunshine after this showing. even you have to see there needs to be sweeping changes throughout.

8 minutes ago, DivisionN said:

This is not the same aggresive, confident Gus Malzahn that came to Auburn. We are tentative, slow and stupid. 

Swinging gate formations, great trick plays, etc.  He used to be the Lincoln Riley we saw tonight.  To be fair, he was handcuffed tonight. No OC or HC can hide a QB. 

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

ESPN reported during its broadcast of the game that White did not throw in Auburn's final practice Saturday and left to get an x-ray from team trainer Dr. James Andrews. Later in the broadcast Kaylee Hartung said Malzahn did not know if White's arm was broken or not. 

"We need to run the football anyway, we'll throw it deep some with him too," head coach Gus Malzahn told Auburn's radio broadcast at halftime.

If all that's true, Malzahn should be fired and probably shot.  Really not believing what I witnessed tonight.

The guy really sounds completely  clueless to me.

should have punted right away, once decided to go for it, do it, wasting the timeout just helped in losing....but the team knew they couldn't win once sean went down, that was obvious.

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

SW's arm was already broke? WTF. Why in the hell did SW seek that hit if his arm was already broke? He is either gutsy or stupid.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Gus is the king BSer he only answers questions to have sound come out of his mouth. Pay no attention to what he said to anything media related. Sources on this board are more reliable than what CGM feeds the media

Archived