Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

To me, i thought we played great with the exception of lawson trying to be a hero or improve his draft stock in the first half.  Once we got down a few scores their ol really started to press us up front but in the first half we played great with the exception of Lawson.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

We started well and ended well, just need to fix the problems in the middle.

Yep, those adjustments that don't make sense.  That change starts with the man in the visor.

My thoughts:

I love # 55 but when all is said and done, will drop to the third or fourth round and is not nearly as quick and athletic as he looked as a freshman. 

Our coaches were outschemed all night. On offense we tried to block 8 with 5 or 6. On defense we tried to stop 8 with 5 or 6. Winning the numbers game is basic stuff and we failed to adjust. 

Our DBs are generally a step slow and too short. Compared to those at Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, etc.we are not in the same neighborhood physically and athletically.

#57 plays with great effort but misses way too many tackles.

Stoops oozes confidence in his scheme and players and his team reflects it (goes for it on fourth and 4 and easily executes. Average 10 wins a year over 2 decades) Gus oozes Insecurity and his scheme and players reflect it. (Punts on fourth and inches and averages 5 losses a year).

I hate what we have become in football but still love my Tigers and Auburn. War Eagle anyway. 

My thoughts are that when the really good teams film study they find the weak link of opposing teams.   It is perplexing that AU doesn't appear to do this.   Case in point, OU was one of the worst pass defenses in the country.   Not sure how many pass attempts were attempted in first half but it wasn't many.   Auburn weakness all year on defense is the receiver or running back in the flat.   Exactly what OU exploited.   When that opens up the run game took over and then the game was over.  

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

SW moved the chains by his feet and by the vertical game some. Even then, he didn't do anything with it against good defenses. Which good defenses could we score on? Is dejected LSU all you got?

Hitting 77% of your throws means nothing to me. He completed 18-26 passes for 126 yards against Texas A&M. Great completion percentage, s***ty performance. 

His vertical game was virtually a non-factor.  He ran a little bit.  But the bottom line was this:  he was effective.  You stick that same QB rotation in, or start JF3 or JJ against LSU, OM, Arkansas, and MSU and we lose at least two of those.  We saw what even a fair amount of Sean vs the other options could do when he came in against Vandy (a pretty good defense this year). We saw what it looked like against a pathetic UGA team.  

Again, you seem to be thinking I'm pumping up Sean as being in the same league as Nick or Cam.  I'm not.  But I do have eyes and I can read stats and I can compare how he does against even bad teams vs how other players do against those same teams.  This offense with Sean running, even with all his physical limitations, put up more points and yards against those defenses than what they were giving up per game.  That's a truer measure.  It doesn't mean much if you run up 450 yds on a team that gives up 450 to everyone.  But when you run up 580 to a team giving up 450, that's notable.  This offense was busting people with an actual QB being paired with a running threat and competent playcalling.  When one or both of those parts started breaking down due to injury, we fell apart.  It only worked because both things were working.  The passing game and the occasional keeper was effective enough at that position to keep people from sending 9 or 10 guys at Pettway.  Without it, they basically ignored the passing game altogether and concentrated everything on the run and no one could make them pay for it anymore at all.

I hate being right about this but I said Gus would never take Auburn back to the championship game after 2013 and was attacked, his gimmicks will never work consistently, this isn't ONE game it started   In 2014 and continues, we either don't have the talent to compete or it's coaching flaws? Which is it? I would throw Gus out on his ear this morning, well actually I would have left him in New Orleans. 

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Darn.... I was hoping this thread would be about Tom changing his fandom and taking several others with him.

Oh well... here's to the 2017 Tigers with a great starting QB and a reliable back-up.

He can't change his fandom. He's never been an Auburn fan.  You can tell by the fact that he only shows up here when things go south so he can complain.  Notice he starts the thread then runs away from it.  He's a troll. 

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Shock and awe of Pettway coming on strong out of nowhere combined with Auburn playing many s***ty defenses seems more likely for our strong offenses. Our running game helped SW in those games. We wore them out on the ground before they even had a chance to think about pass defense. Hell, one game we had stove score on an 80 yard sweep on the first play of the game. That play hadnt worked since 2013. That is what kind of defenses we were playing against. 

I, too, am excited that SW won't be starter next year. 

I wish you'd call SW powder puff to his face. What a tool you are. Guy just continued playing with a broken arm. This constant player bashing by you absolutely and positively shows your incredible lack of class. SW may get injured a little too often, but he was 100 times the QB as anyone else on our roster. Without him we go 4-8 this year. Quit being such a douchebag.  Guess what...Stidham got hurt after a couple games too...and was injured in HS... So was Lowell!  Bunch of fairies they are I tell ya. Good grief. Coaches are fair game. You constantly berating a college kid tells all we need to know. It's one thing to say he isn't cut out or we can do better...but calling him names?  

absolutely....said so at the time....not going for it in a bowl game showed lack of guts.....and lack of confidence in the team. 

The more money he makes, the more conservative he has gotten.....to the point that most of us (and our opponents) could write his game plan for him.

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

And for playing in the game Auburn got ... a lot more than $200K. /

Didn't the SEC get paid as a whole for this game?? All state is all over nearly every school minus AU

Problems are everywhere.   That defense after 1st quarter was home schooled.    Why does auburn miss so many sacks??go hire the guys that coach at bama because they don't.   Defensive ends never contain.    Too slow.   I am happy that Lawson played a full season but he needs another year in college.  He has talent but he doesn't play football smart.  Bad angles, lining up offsides.   Who covers the back in the flats on this team.    Why do you blitz on 3rd and 23?

25 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

He can't change his fandom. He's never been an Auburn fan.  You can tell by the fact that he only shows up here when things go south so he can complain.  Notice he starts the thread then runs away from it.  He's a troll. 

that is just how little and small-minded that you are.....you are silly, just silly

6 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

When is the unwritten required "untouchable " period for Art Briles over?

NOW, you are talking !!!!!!!!!!!!!! his present lawsuit is going to clear his name and he'll be coaching somewhere next season and it might as well be at AU.....

40 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

My thoughts are that when the really good teams film study they find the weak link of opposing teams.   It is perplexing that AU doesn't appear to do this.   Case in point, OU was one of the worst pass defenses in the country.   Not sure how many pass attempts were attempted in first half but it wasn't many.   Auburn weakness all year on defense is the receiver or running back in the flat.   Exactly what OU exploited.   When that opens up the run game took over and then the game was over.  

I don't mean this to sound smart, but who on our team was suppose to do all this passing?

Should have challenged the call on the field and picked up the first down wr skyway had picked up.  Offense prob still wouldn't have dives anything since a month to prepare looked like two kindergarteners pinyin at a pop up book to call plays 

I didnt think i would say this but  Gene Chizik was a better big game coach.      3 bowl appearances  3 wins.      Gus?   4 appearances  1 win. 

I'm finally over Gus.  Too much wasted talent and undeveloped positions.  We play too sloppy and too tentative.  We coach sloppy and tentative.  The HUGE red flag was several years ago when we had several players go undrafted who are still making nice careers in the NFL 2 years later.  He's not effectively utilizing his talent...as is evident in the WR depth chart, lack of a TE weapon, and his dumb luck in finding that Pettway can run the ball.  And we're all well aware of the QB position, which his staff has screwed up now during both of his tenures.  Once he gets one thing squared away he opens himself up to another costly screw-up in another area.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

SW may get injured a little too often, but he was 100 times the QB as anyone else on our roster.

Which is nothing to write home about.

Stidham got hurt after a couple games too...and was injured

SW is always getting hurt. Show me a big game and I'll show you a SW injury. One time is different than three or four times.

I wish you'd call SW powder puff to his face.

Can he use his shoulder and now forearm again? 

Without him we go 4-8 this year.

Correct except if you give us a healthy SW and no defensive improvement from last year, we would be having a couple more losses as well. Same with Pettway. The fans that give all the credit to SW and redirect all the blame away is why this issue has been beaten like a dead horse.

With him, he was unreliable, he struggled at throwing TDs, scored only three SEC road wins against bottom cellar teams in two years, and he never received the full confidence of his coach. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

You stick that same QB rotation in, or start JF3 or JJ against LSU, OM, Arkansas, and MSU and we lose at least two of those.

I get that. I'm not saying SW is as bad as the rest of the group. He is clearly the best we got. Which is sad because the others are more taylormade for our offense. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

It doesn't mean much if you run up 450 yds on a team that gives up 450 to everyone.  But when you run up 580 to a team giving up 450, that's notable.

I don't agree that this is as notable as you say it is. I think that means a s*** sandwich just got more soggy.

But, whatever, by the grace of God he isn't starting next year. He is on the sidelines holding a clipboard. 

The turning point was the 2nd possession of the game.  Gus' scripted plays gets us that first TD, after that we look clueless.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The turning point was the 2nd possession of the game.  Gus' scripted plays gets us that first TD, after that we look clueless.

thats because the people calling the plays ARE clueless

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Its because second possession on our starting QB had a broke arm. Can't call a game hiding the fact that you have no QBs left.

We are just mediocre. This offense has become so stagnant. I watch other teams and how they execute plays... It blows my mind at how predictable our scheme is. Our passing offense makes me want to pull my hair out. The only way we even try a pass 15 yards plus is with a PA fake reverse super slow developing play that almost never works. I saw this form Cole Cubelic on twitter last night:

Auburn didn't have a 300 yard passing game in 2016. Pass yards in games vs Power 5 opp: 175

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I get that. I'm not saying SW is as bad as the rest of the group. He is clearly the best we got. Which is sad because the others are more taylormade for our offense. 

I don't agree that this is as notable as you say it is. I think that means a s*** sandwich just got more soggy.

But, whatever, by the grace of God he isn't starting next year. He is on the sidelines holding a clipboard. 

Really, you are just beating the wrong horse. Stidam will not fair any better. This coaching would make Tom Brady look bad. The defense knows what is coming probably before our offense on the field does because Gus has become so predictable. As I said before the game, he writes a game plan and doesn't change it once the defense corrects for it. His answer is always some stupid play like the mini RB hiding behind the line or the world famous whirly-bird. Gus is a joke and it won't get better till he is gone. WDE

Archived