Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I don't mean this to sound smart, but who on our team was suppose to do all this passing?

I think the frustration is that with 5 QBs on the roster, our coaches could develop at least one of them to be a competent option. 

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I think the frustration is that with 5 QBs on the roster, our coaches could develop at least one of them to be a competent option. 

I agree and what I was alluding to. 

No OC or HC can work with JF3 at QB. It makes sense that Gus looked like a deer in headlights. The scripted plays of the first series worked and it cost him his QB. How can a HC or OC hide a QB? Riddle me that.

Is that not getting through to anyone?

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Get prepared to be even more angry in the offseason b/c i'm willing to bet any amount of money that if Rhett is still here he and Gus will continue to drag their feet with this offense. First, it will start with a prolonged QB race with SW and JS when most know JS should be running the show from day one. However, we'll hear Gus talk about how gutsy and how much of a warrior SW is (all true) but he'll waste up most of of the offseason splitting snaps between the two or giving SW most of the snaps b/c "he knows the offense."

SW could have two broken arms and legs but by the time they heal Gus would trot him right back out there to be the main guy. We'll hear how JS is coming along nicely..."we're slowly working him in"...blah..blah. Wasting even more time. All this will likely play out until August when we're STILL trying to figure out the starter instead of vitalizing a plan and backup plan around the starter and backup ASAP. This will all likely equal out to 8-5...once again losing to our biggest rivals UGA and Bama for sure and wasting a ton of talent. 

HMMM.. Sounds familiar.

The AU front seven's inability to get Mayfield on the ground was the most maddening thing for me. I lost count of the whiffs. If you get that safety and a couple of sacks in the first half, maybe the game stays within reach. 

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

We are just mediocre. This offense has become so stagnant. I watch other teams and how they execute plays... It blows my mind at how predictable our scheme is. Our passing offense makes me want to pull my hair out. The only way we even try a pass 15 yards plus is with a PA fake reverse super slow developing play that almost never works. I saw this form Cole Cubelic on twitter last night:

Auburn didn't have a 300 yard passing game in 2016. Pass yards in games vs Power 5 opp: 175

about says it all.

I too wish we would have gone for it. You do not punt the ball back to a team that has our defense on its heals. We had not picked up a first down and our defense was flat worn out. 

I do not understand why we do not try something "gutsy" in games that are close. We NEVER fake a punt. We never try on-sides kicks (unless it is late in the game and we are way behind trying to catch up). We only run a fake field goal against a meaningless team in a meaningless game when we are already up. Why not do this against an SEC team? We hardly ever go for a 4th down outside of the 40, even if it is less than a yard, unless we are down and trying to catch up. 

Other than the lousy play calling, this has been something that I would like to see change as far as strategy. I am not saying go crazy with it but come on - have some guts. Our defense was not going to stop anyone at that point. They were spent.

I remember years ago when we were playing South Carolina (spurrier) and we could not stop them. So what did we do? We started going for it on 4th down, we scored, onsides kick (it worked) and and held on to the ball for the entire quarter. We won. 

There are games, like the alabama game, oklahoma game, etc that we are completely out-manned and we need to try things outside the box to win. 

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No OC or HC can work with JF3 at QB. It makes sense that Gus looked like a deer in headlights. The scripted plays of the first series worked and it cost him his QB. How can a HC or OC hide a QB? Riddle me that.

Is that not getting through to anyone?

I agree you you. Which is all the more reason to go for it on 4th down. Nothing to lose. Have some guts.  

Need to keep Malzahn until we have a new University President in place and Jacobs is shown the door. We need a President that understands both academics and athletics are important. We need an AD that understands he's running a multi-million dollar business and not a club for choir boys and good ol' boys

8 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Baker embarrassed our D tonight. Had him dead on for a sack twice and he escaped. Made #4 look foolish on one of his scrabbled. Second game in a row without a sack plus no turnovers in the Sugar Bowl for the D.

Baker is very impressive. The dude has superhuman balance. There's no question why he was a Heisman finalist... and will likely be a top contender next year. Unfortunately, based on some of his extracurricular actions during the game, he needs to learn a little about class.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Baker is very impressive. The dude has superhuman balance. There's no question why he was a Heisman finalist... and will likely be a top contender next year. Unfortunately, based on some of his extracurricular actions during the game, he needs to learn a little about class.

Looked a lot like Manziel. That's a bad look. 

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Auburn didn't have a 300 yard passing game in 2016. Pass yards in games vs Power 5 opp: 175

When was the last time Auburn had a 300 yard passing game?  Marshall had 1 in his career. Cam had 2. Cole was reaching for things to complain about with that comment.

6 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

I thought our defensive line was thoroughly outplayed by OU's o-line. That was the biggest and most troubling surprise to me.

Agreed. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When was the last time Auburn had a 300 yard passing game?  Marshall had 1 in his career. Cam had 2. Cole was reaching for things to complain about with that comment.

The other stat I found was Auburn only even had one 250 yard passing game, ULM. I think it does matter...

After SW left the game we were pretty much done for, but we still should have gone for it on 4th and less than a yard. Even if we turn it over it is not like we could stop them. Mayfield avoided a sack on just about every play. Avoiding the safety and the high snap that he grabbed and tossed down the field pretty much defined the entire night. He could do no wrong.

If Gus isn't going to take chances he needs a Cam or Nick every year. Not necessarily a DT QB in the sense of those two, but a gamer that can stay healthy. SW is a gamer but I am convinced he is made of glass.

Hey, at least we didnt see the Cox Cat! Progress.....

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I've yet to act like a jerk this morning unless you think not agreeing with you qualifies. 

You've been a jerk for the last 12 hours and it has nothing to do with agreement with me or anyone else.  And frankly, it's not exactly a new phenomenon.  I think most of us have come to understand over time that it's not a phase or an aberration but a feature.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

You've been a jerk for the last 12 hours and it has nothing to do with agreement with me or anyone else.  And frankly, it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

Show me when I've been any more a jerk than you saying some auburn fans were on Lithium? Thanks.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Show me when I've been any more a jerk than you saying some auburn fans were on Lithium? Thanks.

Jeff, I defend you most of the time behind the scenes because the people you're generally bickering with have their own issues.  But I'm not getting sucked into one of your vortexes today.  I've wasted enough time with you already.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Marshall had 1 in his career

Marshall had at least two. Against Mississippi State and against Alabama and he had plenty of rushing yards to go along with his passing yards. Apples to oranges. 

Hey look - another one of these from our favorite poster that comes around when AU loses. At least one guy is happy today.

13 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

After SW left the game we were pretty much done for, but we still should have gone for it on 4th and less than a yard. Even if we turn it over it is not like we could stop them. Mayfield avoided a sack on just about every play. Avoiding the safety and the high snap that he grabbed and tossed down the field pretty much defined the entire night. He could do no wrong.

If Gus isn't going to take chances he needs a Cam or Nick every year. Not necessarily a DT QB in the sense of those two, but a gamer that can stay healthy. SW is a gamer but I am convinced he is made of glass.

Hey, at least we didnt see the Cox Cat! Progress.....

This is something I've felt (and stated) for the last couple seasons.

Not starting a DT vs Drop Back debate, but with the obvious limitations to the Gus Malzahn offensive system, his offense MUST have a Cam or Nick.

Cam's are not realistic year in and year out but if you look at current QB's playing college football it's not unreasonable to find Nick type talent most years (recruiting).

Sorry, but (IMHO) Gus Malzahn QB's need to be running backs who can throw enough to keep a D honest.

I'm not saying this is for ALL offensive systems... Just for GUS's offensive system.  I just don't see Stidham having any more success than SW without a truly D1 level passing system.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Marshall had at least two. Against Mississippi State and against Alabama and he had plenty of rushing yards to go along with his passing yards. Apples to oranges. 

Jeff is correct.  He had two.

2013 - 339 yds vs Miss State

2014 - 456 yds vs Bama

Archived