Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

4 minutes ago, autigersj said:

We are just mediocre. This offense has become so stagnant. I watch other teams and how they execute plays... It blows my mind at how predictable our scheme is. Our passing offense makes me want to pull my hair out. The only way we even try a pass 15 yards plus is with a PA fake reverse super slow developing play that almost never works. I saw this form Cole Cubelic on twitter last night:

Auburn didn't have a 300 yard passing game in 2016. Pass yards in games vs Power 5 opp: 175

Unacceptable.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think next year will be the telling year. We will have a good QB which I expect will make a ton of difference. At the beginning of the year I said if this team could get 8 wins then Gus deserves to stay another year (no that doesn't mean I am ok with a 8 win team) he got that so next year with a better QB I will expect more. Regardless of why we didn't have good QB play most of the year. That puts a lot of pressure on the Def.. Next year we will have a quality QB, SW will be able to get healthy and be a good back up along with WB. Our WR's and RB's should also be better so I expect great things. This year I expected a 7 win season and got 8 next year with our schedule and players I expect 10. I don't think all this negativity helps anything. I understand it but again it doesn't help. Let it all out today then move on and get over it. Next year should be a lot of fun!!!      

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Really, you are just beating the wrong horse. Stidam will not fair any better. This coaching would make Tom Brady look bad. The defense knows what is coming probably before our offense on the field does because Gus has become so predictable. As I said before the game, he writes a game plan and doesn't change it once the defense corrects for it. His answer is always some stupid play like the mini RB hiding behind the line or the world famous whirly-bird. Gus is a joke and it won't get better till he is gone. WDE

Pffft.

Sean looked good this year when he was healthy.  The only part of his game that still needed work was his deep throw accuracy.  So this coaching staff didn't even make Sean White look bad.  JF3 and JJ looked bad because the former is simply not a QB and no amount of coaching will ever change that.  He is a failure of evaluation.  JJ has all the tools and none of the mental side of it.  And he abhors contact.  Blame the staff for bad recruiting.  But it's utter nonsense to say that "Stidham will not fair any better."

7 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I think next year will be the telling year. We will have a good QB which I expect will make a ton of difference. At the beginning of the year I said if this team could get 8 wins then Gus deserves to stay another year (no that doesn't mean I am ok with a 8 win team) he got that so next year with a better QB I will expect more. Regardless of why we didn't have good QB play most of the year. That puts a lot of pressure on the Def.. Next year we will have a quality QB, SW will be able to get healthy and be a good back up along with WB. Our WR's and RB's should also be better so I expect great things. This year I expected a 7 win season and got 8 next year with our schedule and players I expect 10. I don't think all this negativity helps anything. I understand it but again it doesn't help. Let it all out today then move on and get over it. Next year should be a lot of fun!!!      

I think what is frustrating to most that, yeah, if things line up perfectly Gus can win some games. But if they don't, he looks clueless and cannot adjust to the personnel he has.

7 hours ago, Altima said:

Well... that's Gus' problem.  He has no faith in his team.  He lacks the killer instinct that a coach HAS to have to be successful!  

he's...

too conservative (predictable)...  too passive...  doesn't cuss...  doesn't demand respect from everyone he's around...  too stubborn...  doesn't plan...  can't adapt...  can't judge talent...  doesn't develop the talent that he has...  runs off our best recruiter to hire Kodi Burns... he picks his nose...  chews gum...  doesn't go for it on 4th and less than 1 when we HAVE to sustain a drive...  

These are just some of the things that annoy me about Gustav...

That's exactly what I thought when we didn't go for it in that situation. We desperately needed to take that risk to have a chance to swing the momentum. Punting it to OK when their offense was red hot was a major strategic mistake. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Sean looked good this year when he was healthy.

Keep saying it and you will eventually believe he was properly utilized and really effective for our offense :cool:

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Keep saying it and you will eventually believe he was properly utilized and really effective for our offense :cool:

I know you're in jerk mode this morning, but I keep saying it because it's true.

I think the QB argument is understandable but, it is a too simple and, incomplete explanation of our poor offensive performance.  The OL is not capable of playing at the highest level of CFB.  Partly due to talent.  Partly due to scheme.

I have always been a huge Gus fan.  However, as someone else pointed out, this isn't the same guy we hired.  If I had the choice of Chip Kelly,,,,,Gus would be gone.  And, it would have very little to do with play calling and QBs.  The bigger picture signals are much more disturbing.  It is as though he has no understanding of how to recognize, recruit, and develop talent for his scheme.  It is as though he believes he can win with anyone on the field.

As much as I like Gus, I would relish the opportunity to fire him.  I believe there is a horrible attitude and mentality at work and, it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I know you're in jerk mode this morning, but I keep saying it because it's true.

I've yet to act like a jerk this morning unless you think not agreeing with you qualifies. 

Yes on this. This was a move which showed our O-line and Pettway for that matter that I'm sorry, but you're just not good enough to get a half yard for your team when they desperately need it. What message does that send to our 2017 offensive recruits as well, such as Ashley?

Also, I thought a more stupid decision was in the 1st half when we had the momentum, had stopped OU on 2nd and 25, had 3rd and 25 coming up and took the holding penalty and gave OU, one of the best offenses in football an extra down. They missed on the down that would have been 3rd down and converted on the down that would have been 4th and 22, and then promptly go down to score the td.

Gus has proven to me that he is going to get out-coached in the big games repeatedly.

1 minute ago, bg5 said:

Before the season, I felt the same way. It is the way that it happened. To see our offense become so stagnant is not acceptable. The way the season ended is going to carry over for a quite a while for me. Gus is going to have to prove himself in my eyes. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, a few weeks ago I went back and watched our offense a few years ago. It was explosive and it seemed unpredictable. Sure I will be excited for next season to see Stidham but if our offensive philosophy isn't tweaked what you think it will be any different. At best the defense will be close to last year. It is a sad state of affairs currently.

Just to make you sad, watch some of this

8 hours ago, Altima said:

Well... that's Gus' problem.  He has no faith in his team.  He lacks the killer instinct that a coach HAS to have to be successful!  

he's...

too conservative (predictable)...  too passive...  doesn't cuss...  doesn't demand respect from everyone he's around...  too stubborn...  doesn't plan...  can't adapt...  can't judge talent...  doesn't develop the talent that he has...  runs off our best recruiter to hire Kodi Burns... he picks his nose...  chews gum...  doesn't go for it on 4th and less than 1 when we HAVE to sustain a drive...  

These are just some of the things that annoy me about Gustav...

Out of likes but ?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

absolutely....said so at the time....not going for it in a bowl game showed lack of guts.....and lack of confidence in the team. 

The more money he makes, the more conservative he has gotten.....to the point that most of us (and our opponents) could write his game plan for him.

The 2nd paragraph is a disturbing trend that for some reason or another happens to all of our HCs and I freaking hate it!!

This version of Gus ain't gonna get it done

9 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I think what is frustrating to most that, yeah, if things line up perfectly Gus can win some games. But if they don't, he looks clueless and cannot adjust to the personnel he has.

Nice!  Someone is seeing the larger picture.  

Gus used to coach them up a level or two.  Now, it is as though he is coaching them down a level.

I wonder if Brandon Harris wishes he would've come to Auburn. 

To those wanting to kick Gus to the curb: Who out there is available that would really come to Auburn? (Realistically). Jay Jacobs hiring another football coach would be a disaster. 

41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The turning point was the 2nd possession of the game.  Gus' scripted plays gets us that first TD, after that we look clueless.

He's a script writing mastermind. Give him a week or more to come up with playcalls and he's great. Make him do it in 25 seconds and he starts to panic and lose sight of what and who is actually effective in the game

1 minute ago, WarAJEagle said:

I wonder if Brandon Harris wishes he would've come to Auburn. 

To those wanting to kick Gus to the curb: Who out there is available that would really come to Auburn? (Realistically). Jay Jacobs hiring another football coach would be a disaster. 

It doesn't matter who's available at the moment as Gus is assured of coming back for '17, it's after next season where the change would (or could) happen imo. 

In 4 years, Malzahn has gone 8-5 twice. 12-2 in 2013. 8-5 in 2014. 7-6 in 2015. 8-5 in 2016. Since Gus' first year, his record at AU stands at 23-16. But until the BOT or whoever fires Jay Jacobs, he's going to keep hiring more Chizik's and Malzahn's. with big buyouts. In other words, more 8-5 or 7-6 records.

What Gus appears to be good at is looking like your crazy uncle yelling at the officials in bewilderment over everything because that's all he knows how to do during a game. 

I'm concerned we are going to have to be 2008 level of bad before Gus gets canned and we have too much talent to fall that far. It is so unfair to our players, who are actually good enough to win the conference, to be stuck with this coaching staff -- especially on O.

We won't even know how to use Stidham until week freaking 4 anyway. As long as we have a staff who isn't using spring and fall camp to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of their roster, like every other staff in the nation, then we are going to be making it that much harder to be where we want to be at the end of the season -- especially with our OOC schedule adding big time opponents at the beginning of our future schedules. There are so many red flags about this staff and Gus that it's not surprising that we are hovering around 8 wins with top 10 recruiting classes

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's a script writing mastermind. Give him a week or more to come up with playcalls and he's great. Make him do it in 25 seconds and he starts to panic and lose sight of what and who is actually effective in the game

He had a month to prepare for this game, and coach clown shoes fails us again. I'm done with Gus, Rhett and every offensive coach not named Horton. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger, unless you like football, because that sucks right now. I have no faith that Stidham will help us next season, because it appears the same morons will be coaching him and calling the same 4 plays we have run the last two years. Whatever we paid him to choose us is going to be more wasted money, just like Gus's salary. 

As long as Malzahn, his staff and Jay Jacobs continue to hang on to their jobs, the Auburn football program will continue to go DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.

Archived